Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Joys of running a lottery pool

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 2 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #4602
May 7, 2004
699 Posts
Posted: January 23, 2015, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

Today I collected money from my lottery club and one member brought up something to me. We play a combination of quick picks and self picked numbers on Powerball, MegaMillions, and Lotto. She thinks we should try playing the same sets of numbers every time and see what happens since we've been playing for 10 years and haven't won big yet. I looked back through my records and found we usually win lower tier prizes in fact, the last time we didn't win was for the 9/5-9/17 round of tickets and prior to that, 4/18-4/30.

I think going all that time and at least winning lower tier prizes is pretty good. I roll that money back in for more tickets. I took her suggestion to heart and picked some more numbers so we'll play strictly our own prepicked numbers for the next few rounds and see what happens.

The joys of running a pool.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7302 Posts
    Posted: January 24, 2015, 12:25 am - IP Logged

Today I collected money from my lottery club and one member brought up something to me. We play a combination of quick picks and self picked numbers on Powerball, MegaMillions, and Lotto. She thinks we should try playing the same sets of numbers every time and see what happens since we've been playing for 10 years and haven't won big yet. I looked back through my records and found we usually win lower tier prizes in fact, the last time we didn't win was for the 9/5-9/17 round of tickets and prior to that, 4/18-4/30.

I think going all that time and at least winning lower tier prizes is pretty good. I roll that money back in for more tickets. I took her suggestion to heart and picked some more numbers so we'll play strictly our own prepicked numbers for the next few rounds and see what happens.

It looks like her logic is because the pool hasn't won a major prize ($10,000 plus), you need a change in playing strategy. The good news is you'll never know if any of the QP you would have played won or not.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
      Columbus, Ohio
      United States
      Member #128906
      June 5, 2012
      591 Posts
      Posted: January 24, 2015, 6:06 am - IP Logged

A change in strategy may be good.   My wife asked me yesterday if we should start playing qp's to switch it up, I said no.  We'll continue to play our 2 lines in PB every drawing.  My thinking is sooner or later my numbers will come up for a decent lower tier prize.  I play for matching 5 white balls.

United States
        Member #106134
        February 13, 2011
        806 Posts
        Posted: January 24, 2015, 8:26 am - IP Logged

Start playing numbers with back to back pairs, it's foolproof, you can't lose!

Baton Rouge, LA
          United States
          Member #4602
          May 7, 2004
          699 Posts
          Posted: January 24, 2015, 8:30 am - IP Logged

Last night's MegaMillions drawing won $3 for the pool, more to be rolled back in for more tickets. We keep winning lower tier prizes, but never anything big. I think the best we've ever done is around $50 or a single line.

Prisoner Six

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
            Columbus, Ohio
            United States
            Member #128906
            June 5, 2012
            591 Posts
            Posted: January 24, 2015, 9:27 am - IP Logged

Start playing numbers with back to back pairs, it's foolproof, you can't lose!

I just read your other post.  One line I play has 3 numbers in order, for ex 456.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3300 Posts
              Posted: January 24, 2015, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

i wheel some numbers i couldnt play on my own in the 3 pools i run,  one  have set numbers, and the others pretty much dont care as long as i win for them. gives me a lot of leeway to change things up if their not going our way. also you never know what  game is going to  turn up a winner.

it sure has some freedom like this. like i said if all of them wanted the same numbers, set in stone. it would get rather dull

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #37433
                April 14, 2006
                2747 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2015, 11:57 am - IP Logged

The lottery pool at my work place comes up only when the jackpots start skyrocketing. I go along with it because you just never know Wink  I'm relieved that it lasts a few weeks only Evil Looking

Good luckThumbs Up

That money's gone fo ever

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  699 Posts
                  Posted: January 25, 2015, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

The lottery pool at my work place comes up only when the jackpots start skyrocketing. I go along with it because you just never know Wink  I'm relieved that it lasts a few weeks only Evil Looking

Good luckThumbs Up

We get some of that in my office too and I join those too. My pool started when I shared an office with the person I mentioned in my original post. We started buying tickets together than others found out and wanted to join and it grew to as high as 13 members at one point. We currently have 11 members. We buy a mix of Powerball, Lotto, and MegaMillions every 2 weeks on payday and it covers all 4 drawings until the next payday. At least one of the 4 draws wins a lower prize, which I roll in for more tickets. It has been running 10 years and we haven't hit yet, but we keep trying.

Running a pool is a lot of work. I can't imagine running 3.

Prisoner Six

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                    JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                    Member #141034
                    April 2, 2013
                    1408 Posts
                    Posted: January 25, 2015, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

Lottery pools can be a lot of fun, if done right, with the right group of like-minded people. If not, get ready for some serious drama if you win something major.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                      Member #142499
                      May 13, 2013
                      1182 Posts
                      Posted: January 25, 2015, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

Question for those involved in pools. Is there a dollar amount you decide to roll over rather than distribute?  If you won $600, do you distribute, put it back in the pool or put some back in the pool (say a hundred bucks) and distribute the rest? What's the highest winning amount you choose to keep in the pool?

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                        NY State
                        United States
                        Member #92609
                        June 10, 2010
                        3693 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2015, 7:44 am - IP Logged

Question for those involved in pools. Is there a dollar amount you decide to roll over rather than distribute?  If you won $600, do you distribute, put it back in the pool or put some back in the pool (say a hundred bucks) and distribute the rest? What's the highest winning amount you choose to keep in the pool?

I think it depends upon how many players are in the pool as to making the decision as to how much money would be rolled back in the pool or distributed to the members.

The pool I run at my workplace that can have many as 30 players. (Sometimes we get more than 30)  Winning 600 bucks would mean 20 bucks for each player, so I'd distribute the cash.  I'd do that simply because we've only hit small prizes that are put back in the pool.  I'd be nice to hand out money to the players rather than always collecting money.

We don't play every drawing, rather we play when jackpots are large.  (Right now PB is at 260 million, so we might play this week)  There's reasons why we only play when the JP is large, some of which I cant discuss here.  The biggest reason we don't play every drawing is because my boss is OK with me running a pool, as long as I'm not doing it every week.  He'd know if I ws doing it every week because he's in it!  And he NEVER misses playing either.  He'd probably fire me if he caught me playing without him!! 

Most of the people where I work want to play, and I've been asked on many occasions if I was "collecting this week".  We all hate the place and unfortunately some see it as their only hope of getting out of it.  I realize they're hoping against hope, but they never give up on the dream.  I like each and every one of them.  they're all good people, and they're just tired of the same old same old. Cant say as I blame them.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                          Republic of Texas
                          United States
                          Member #57557
                          January 9, 2008
                          1095 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2015, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

I run a lottery pool in my office, but only when the cash option is $100m+. We have about 19 regular players, but start a new pool for each lottery drawing because we have a lot of people who work remotely, 2 who no longer work here, and a couple who only join on occasion like when cash is closer to $200m. We also have documented 3 people who never play for religious reasons or because they think lottery is a waste Crazy, so they aren't even included on the emails. There are 4 who only play once in a great while, so they are on all notifications that a pool is starting up for a drawing.

We decided that all winnings would roll unless there is at least $1 per member. Each pool lasts only as long as rollover winnings keep coming, less than $1 per person. Sometimes I'll have 3 different pools going for the same jackpot. So far, we haven't hit $1 per person yet.

I do keep a 'lottery bank' because of the remote members, and I think most would roll small winnings ($20 or less) into the bank to keep playing. If there is a regular player who is out on PTO or like one person right now, out on medical leave, we include them as someone will 'cover' for them. We don't want to leave them behind if we won. Smiley

I also have a smaller pool for when both MM & PB are over $100m that only includes members of the department I work in, 5 of us. We play whichever the office pool is not playing.

It's all just for fun, and we all like to dream of hitting. So when the office pool hits, we are all going to have a video conference call from the controller's office to the corp office to give them the good news. 

Party

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                            Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: January 26, 2015, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

In the pool at my work place all small wins get put into the next jackpot try. We've not won a big enough prize yet. I bet if we won enough to get $5 each, everybody would want to be paid

That money's gone fo ever

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                              Member #142499
                              May 13, 2013
                              1182 Posts
                              Posted: January 26, 2015, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for your answers, guys. It was all very enlightening. I had thought that the determining factor would have been the size of the JP. I assumed that if you won $600 but the JP was at say $700 million that you'd all say let it roll. 

Party

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.