Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

RNG and SEEDS

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 2 years ago by SergeM.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Krypton
United States
Member #140102
March 11, 2013
891 Posts
Posted: January 30, 2015, 8:57 am - IP Logged

The seed is a number that is used to initialize the random generator. More specifically: A random Generator is an algorithm which uses its own output as an input to generate the next random number, which will be used as input for the next one and so on. It is clear that a random number generator needs the first number to start work, that's called THE SEED. In principle there is not any limitation in choosing the seed. It can be <1, >1 or even something like 34561345567354. 

My question is ..... do they pick a number in the last draw sequence?

Stay In The Vortex, you'll be happy you did ..... Random? Seriously? You want me to believe that?

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
    Economy class
    Belgium
    Member #123700
    February 27, 2012
    4035 Posts
    Posted: January 30, 2015, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

run:
    BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 0 seconds)

Seed is optional.

r.nextInt(10); //A digit.

Long seed with long simple type.

long: The long data type is a 64-bit two's complement integer. The signed long has a minimum value of -263 and a maximum value of 263-1. In Java SE 8 and later, you can use the long data type to represent an unsigned 64-bit long, which has a minimum value of 0 and a maximum value of 264-1. Use this data type when you need a range of values wider than those provided by int. The Long class also contains methods like compareUnsigned, divideUnsigned etc to support arithmetic operations for unsigned long.

Krypton
      United States
      Member #140102
      March 11, 2013
      891 Posts
      Posted: January 31, 2015, 6:51 am - IP Logged

run:
      BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 0 seconds)

Seed is optional.

r.nextInt(10); //A digit.

Long seed with long simple type.

long: The long data type is a 64-bit two's complement integer. The signed long has a minimum value of -263 and a maximum value of 263-1. In Java SE 8 and later, you can use the long data type to represent an unsigned 64-bit long, which has a minimum value of 0 and a maximum value of 264-1. Use this data type when you need a range of values wider than those provided by int. The Long class also contains methods like compareUnsigned, divideUnsigned etc to support arithmetic operations for unsigned long.

Serge your wealth of programming and knowlegde AKWAYS amazes me   I understand the math but what are you telling me?  That THIS is there programming sequence or an example of hiw a seed works?

Stay In The Vortex, you'll be happy you did ..... Random? Seriously? You want me to believe that?

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
        Economy class
        Belgium
        Member #123700
        February 27, 2012
        4035 Posts
        Posted: January 31, 2015, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Program it and you'll know about.