Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Safely Investing Your Winnings...Or Not

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Teddi.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1185 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2015, 9:10 am - IP Logged

After watching numerous episodes of rags to riches to rags stories, TLCML, COTL, American Greed, and 30 for 30: Broke,  I wondered if anyone here knew (really and truly knew and had formulated a plan) how they would actually invest a windfall of over $130 million. Stocks, bonds, real estate, cdars? 

Would you bother investing at all? At that amount, you certainly wouldn't need to. Does an old mattress or mason jars in the backyard sound like the best way for you to keep your money safely off the grid after all the bank failures, account hackings and ponzi schemes? 

So the question boils down to: what steps would you use to grow your wealth while keeping it safe...Or if you don't plan to invest, how would you keep it safe.

**this does not apply to annuity payments. This is a what-would-you-do scenario to stay fiscally safe if you woke up to >$100,000,000 in your bank account come Monday morning.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2659 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2015, 9:23 am - IP Logged

After watching numerous episodes of rags to riches to rags stories, TLCML, COTL, American Greed, and 30 for 30: Broke,  I wondered if anyone here knew (really and truly knew and had formulated a plan) how they would actually invest a windfall of over $130 million. Stocks, bonds, real estate, cdars? 

Would you bother investing at all? At that amount, you certainly wouldn't need to. Does an old mattress or mason jars in the backyard sound like the best way for you to keep your money safely off the grid after all the bank failures, account hackings and ponzi schemes? 

So the question boils down to: what steps would you use to grow your wealth while keeping it safe...Or if you don't plan to invest, how would you keep it safe.

**this does not apply to annuity payments. This is a what-would-you-do scenario to stay fiscally safe if you woke up to >$100,000,000 in your bank account come Monday morning.

I knew thar was a reason I saved this article

thars no such thing as a safe investment these days,

contrary to pop opinion 'cept for self and a few worth while others

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5611 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2015, 9:27 am - IP Logged

Well, my wife lost a big chunk of her retirement money to a guy that used hers and others money to invest for himself, then when the investments went bad ran to South America. He did this without telling anyone in the brokerage.

If I win that kind of change, I'll just invest in the bank of rcbbuckeye.

If you don't have it in your possession, you don't have control.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
        Member #9517
        December 10, 2004
        1272 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2015, 9:38 am - IP Logged

Use stock or funds. Never use private investment consultants. If you do check his reputation.

If you find his mugshot on the net, definetly stay away! Wink

I would only need 10 million to be financially safe until I die of old age. No need to invest it really.

Become a philanthropist instead.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49784 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2015, 9:57 am - IP Logged

Do you have any idea of How Much: One Hundred Thirty Million in Cash Would Be?

$100 Bills=1.3 million

$1000 Bills=130 thousand

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1185 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2015, 10:41 am - IP Logged

No idea. I'm guessing it would look like the stack of money in Walter White's storage unit.

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1185 Posts
              Posted: February 7, 2015, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Well, my wife lost a big chunk of her retirement money to a guy that used hers and others money to invest for himself, then when the investments went bad ran to South America. He did this without telling anyone in the brokerage.

If I win that kind of change, I'll just invest in the bank of rcbbuckeye.

If you don't have it in your possession, you don't have control.

OMG, what did you do? Did you sue the brokerage? Obviously there was a lack of oversight.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4792 Posts
                Posted: February 7, 2015, 10:51 am - IP Logged

As Oprah says, "always sign your own checks." In other words, don't trust a 3rd party to do it.

J'aime La France.

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                  nc
                  United States
                  Member #99520
                  October 26, 2010
                  375 Posts
                  Posted: February 7, 2015, 11:23 am - IP Logged

Do you have any idea of How Much: One Hundred Thirty Million in Cash Would Be?

$100 Bills=1.3 million

$1000 Bills=130 thousand

Sorry, the largest bill currently issued is the 'C' note,  $100 bill.

good luck to all who play.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4108 Posts
                    Posted: February 7, 2015, 11:35 am - IP Logged

No idea. I'm guessing it would look like the stack of money in Walter White's storage unit.

Brilliant response..

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

fajardo
                      United States
                      Member #152445
                      February 15, 2014
                      47 Posts
                      Posted: February 7, 2015, 11:37 am - IP Logged

The thing about investment is that a lot of people try to beat or outperform the market and most people fail.

People panick and act erratic.

I personally prefer passive investment strategy, you buy to an index fund (think s&p 500) and ride it out with the market. Yes the market is going to go down but is also going to come back up, the point is to not take your money out and when you evaluate the 5 or 10 year average return you will probably have a good return. They have funds for pretty much everything.

If you are constantly pulling and putting money that will cost a lot in fees. 

You can research vanguard, they have a huge community and they call themselves bogleheads. But that type of thing is not for everyone and with a big jackpot you can afford great financial planners.

Cash is good but then you are losing money because of inflation.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7314 Posts
                        Posted: February 7, 2015, 11:45 am - IP Logged

The thing about investment is that a lot of people try to beat or outperform the market and most people fail.

People panick and act erratic.

I personally prefer passive investment strategy, you buy to an index fund (think s&p 500) and ride it out with the market. Yes the market is going to go down but is also going to come back up, the point is to not take your money out and when you evaluate the 5 or 10 year average return you will probably have a good return. They have funds for pretty much everything.

If you are constantly pulling and putting money that will cost a lot in fees. 

You can research vanguard, they have a huge community and they call themselves bogleheads. But that type of thing is not for everyone and with a big jackpot you can afford great financial planners.

Cash is good but then you are losing money because of inflation.

If they are not now investing or at least have knowledge of sound investment strategies, winning a large jackpot won't magically make them financial experts.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                          Wisconsin
                          United States
                          Member #104962
                          January 23, 2011
                          1075 Posts
                          Posted: February 7, 2015, 11:45 am - IP Logged

If you want to invest in something I would recommend actual gold and silver.

Trump 2016!

fajardo
                            United States
                            Member #152445
                            February 15, 2014
                            47 Posts
                            Posted: February 7, 2015, 11:55 am - IP Logged

If they are not now investing or at least have knowledge of sound investment strategies, winning a large jackpot won't magically make them financial experts.

That's why I recommend getting a financial planner , heck you will have enough money to have more than one.

I study accounting and I have worked as an auditor and even was interviewed to work for Goldman Sachs and if I ever won a big amount of money I'm getting professional help.

I will spend my time learning more than I already know about finance so that I can ask more questions, because a single transaction can have huge tax consequences and If you a wealth manager they have am entire team lookin at every angle.

California
                              United States
                              Member #141204
                              April 7, 2013
                              280 Posts
                              Posted: February 7, 2015, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

That's why I recommend getting a financial planner , heck you will have enough money to have more than one.

I study accounting and I have worked as an auditor and even was interviewed to work for Goldman Sachs and if I ever won a big amount of money I'm getting professional help.

I will spend my time learning more than I already know about finance so that I can ask more questions, because a single transaction can have huge tax consequences and If you a wealth manager they have am entire team lookin at every angle.

Are you from PR? There is zero capital gains tax in PR, right?