Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning a large jackpot. Now what?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 2 years ago by nist7seven.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Espanola
United States
Member #163742
February 8, 2015
3 Posts
Posted: February 8, 2015, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Now with the fever of the $450 million lottery in full pitch.

Questions:

They say it is smart to hire a lawyer, accountant, and/or financial advisor.   Probably to save your money from gold diggers or lawsuits from the vultures called friends and family.     How do we pick the right individual or corporation?   Does a large lotteyr winner need all three professionals.

What is a reasonable amount of fees/salary that a lottery winner should expect to invest in those professionals(lawyer, accountant, and.or financial advisor)

Should a lottery winner pay them by the hour, by commission, or by flat fee-retainer?

Obviously most folks have never had to hire a lawyer, accountant, or finance firm.  So deciding who to choose and how much is a dilemma

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7302 Posts
    Posted: February 9, 2015, 12:27 am - IP Logged

Questions:

They say it is smart to hire a lawyer, accountant, and/or financial advisor.   Probably to save your money from gold diggers or lawsuits from the vultures called friends and family.     How do we pick the right individual or corporation?   Does a large lotteyr winner need all three professionals.

What is a reasonable amount of fees/salary that a lottery winner should expect to invest in those professionals(lawyer, accountant, and.or financial advisor)

Should a lottery winner pay them by the hour, by commission, or by flat fee-retainer?

Obviously most folks have never had to hire a lawyer, accountant, or finance firm.  So deciding who to choose and how much is a dilemma

Of the three, an attorney is the most important. Most states give the winners plenty of time to decide on cash or payments so you can talk to an accountant and/or financial adviser after validating the ticket unless you need directions to lottery headquarters from them.

Players know if they have any obligations (child support, judgements, tax liens, etc.) that could affect getting them check or a possible court ordered injunction. Seeing a lawyer before validating the ticket is obviously more important to them. The best advice I heard is sign the back of the ticket before telling anybody.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
      Texas
      United States
      Member #92330
      June 5, 2010
      887 Posts
      Posted: February 9, 2015, 1:11 am - IP Logged

An attorney is the first person I would hire. They would setup a trust or LLC and collect the winnings for me, keeping my name private.

If you go for an advisor, most would suggest fee-only advisors (http://www.napfa.org/) and ones that hold a CFP certificate (http://www.cfp.net/). Fee only removes a lot of conflicts of interests. That doesn't mean fee based (commission) is bad, but your advisor may be tempted to have you invest in something purely to make himself more money. Here's an article from Yahoo that puts more detail into the differences of fee only and fee based.

A CPA is an important one. You can find CPAs that are also CFP practitioners (the CFP site will list what areas the people listed specialize in, accounting being one of them), but I don't think that's required.

You should look at numerous qualified people and choose whichever fits you best and who you feel most comfortable with. Remember that you're likely to have these people in your life for a long time.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4106 Posts
        Posted: February 9, 2015, 1:21 am - IP Logged

An attorney is the first person I would hire. They would setup a trust or LLC and collect the winnings for me, keeping my name private.

If you go for an advisor, most would suggest fee-only advisors (http://www.napfa.org/) and ones that hold a CFP certificate (http://www.cfp.net/). Fee only removes a lot of conflicts of interests. That doesn't mean fee based (commission) is bad, but your advisor may be tempted to have you invest in something purely to make himself more money. Here's an article from Yahoo that puts more detail into the differences of fee only and fee based.

A CPA is an important one. You can find CPAs that are also CFP practitioners (the CFP site will list what areas the people listed specialize in, accounting being one of them), but I don't think that's required.

You should look at numerous qualified people and choose whichever fits you best and who you feel most comfortable with. Remember that you're likely to have these people in your life for a long time.

Out here in CA, the Lottery encourages one to "form" a trust but is quick to point out that this would not shield one from public disclosure, meaning that if people dig deep enough, they will come up the name of the winner, perhaps Texas rules are different. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
          Texas
          United States
          Member #92330
          June 5, 2010
          887 Posts
          Posted: February 9, 2015, 1:44 am - IP Logged

Out here in CA, the Lottery encourages one to "form" a trust but is quick to point out that this would not shield one from public disclosure, meaning that if people dig deep enough, they will come up the name of the winner, perhaps Texas rules are different. 

That's how it works here as well. Names are subject to open records. For me that's enough, as long as it isn't just out there on every major news publication.

Also, on the topic of trusts, at least in Texas you can sign the ticket in your name, and then show up at the lottery offices with the trustee and sign a form that would transfer ownership to them. That way, you don't have to worry about having an unsigned ticket, and someone else can still collect the ticket and be mentioned in the press release.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7302 Posts
            Posted: February 9, 2015, 1:48 am - IP Logged

Claiming with a trust is the only way to remain anonymous in Texas, but that doesn't exempt anyone from back child support, court orders, tax liens, etc. The store selling the ticket either knows or has good idea who bought the winning ticket and trust can't prevent them leaking information.

Asking an anonymous jackpot winner who claimed using a trust for advice is out of the question. LOL

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
              TX
              United States
              Member #121193
              January 4, 2012
              1637 Posts
              Posted: February 9, 2015, 7:17 am - IP Logged

This will be the Attorney I hire over in Dallas, should I become a PB winner
              http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/7/prweb8654988.htm

Let the professionals do their job, pay a bit more and reduce your stress/worries and concerns.

fajardo
                United States
                Member #152445
                February 15, 2014
                47 Posts
                Posted: February 9, 2015, 9:58 am - IP Logged

I loved my taxation professor and he is an amazing lawyer who worked as a CPA in a big four for many years so he would be my go to lawyer , since we talked many times in class about tax planning. I feel like since he has worked as a prosecutor , cpa and has his own law firm for many years he would have a lot resources to help me navigate ot.

As for accountant and financial planners ,if you go to an establish private wealth management group( think jp morgan , GS etc) they usually have a full team that can help you navigate all of the areas.

If you go with an individual you should always check with the professional board too see the standing  , with that kind of money I would even hire a private investigator to check them out.

As for flat fee or by the hour that depends on the service you need at the moment, it also depends on the type of investor you are going to be. If you know a lot about finances and will do most of the work yourself than you need less services. But even in private wealth management groups they offer you different levels of services .

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                  Columbus, Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #128906
                  June 5, 2012
                  591 Posts
                  Posted: February 9, 2015, 11:54 am - IP Logged

I would wake wife up, I check PB around 11pm (night of the drawing) then call the accountant the next day. Once that's done then book a trip somewhere, no more 9 to 5.  I can truly enjoy life.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    49694 Posts
                    Posted: February 9, 2015, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Questions:

12 Things Not To Do! (click here)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                      Lavender Rocket

United States
                      Member #124616
                      March 16, 2012
                      2642 Posts
                      Posted: February 9, 2015, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

Imagine being Joe Somebody ... turning into Sir Joe the Magnificent ...  and becoming Joe the Village Idiot in a very short time. 

Poor Joe.  :)  Thanks for the post!

KCMO
                        United States
                        Member #163681
                        February 7, 2015
                        56 Posts
                        Posted: February 9, 2015, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

For financial adviser, you have to be very careful since most of the financial industry is mostly a sales industry instead of actual investing that's looking out for your interests.  You need to look at who are certified to be "fiduciary" advisers. 

I would take sometime to read up on Jack Bogle and Vanguard and the "Boglehead" philosophy of investing. It's what I do and it's the cheapest/easiest way to invest for the long-haul. 

If you win 450mil jackpot, the biggest thing is to protect your wealth. Do not fall for exotic/high return/low risk/etc. investments. Stick with what's tried and true. Maybe 40% stocks in a low cost passive index fund and 60% in US treasury bonds. Simple as that. You'll get steady gains that'll keep up with inflation.

edit: actually the very first thing you should do is sign your ticket and run to your bank and put that ticket away in a safety deposit box ASAP!