Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 7:51 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

300 people didn't claim their 1million dollar lotto tickets in 2013!

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 2 years ago by SammyJoe10.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
KCMO
United States
Member #163681
February 7, 2015
56 Posts
Posted: February 9, 2015, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

On CNN money there is an article as below that shows lots of 1 million dollar winning tickets go unclaimed!!!

"About $2 billion in lottery prizes go unclaimed every year. Many of those tickets are worth between $1 and $5, but some folks never realize that they have a life-changing prize in their pocket.

There actually tend to be more unclaimed prizes associated with a massive drawing like this week's $450 million prize. That's because when people hear that they didn't hit the jackpot, they often neglect to check whether they won any smaller prizes, said Jacobson.

"People don't even realize there are secondary prizes," he said.

The $1 million prizes are paid immediately to the winners, minus the taxes.

But the huge jackpots like this week's $450 million prize are actually a mirage. To get that much, winners have to take payments over 30 years. However, winners rarely choose to do that. Instead, they take a smaller lump sum payment worth about one-third less than the advertised jackpot."
Make sure to check your tickets people. You wouldn't want to miss out on a 7 figure winning. 
Sadly some people probably not very organized and the lotto ticket gets lost in their back pocket or underneath the couch...
    Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7344 Posts
    Posted: February 9, 2015, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

On CNN money there is an article as below that shows lots of 1 million dollar winning tickets go unclaimed!!!

"About $2 billion in lottery prizes go unclaimed every year. Many of those tickets are worth between $1 and $5, but some folks never realize that they have a life-changing prize in their pocket.

There actually tend to be more unclaimed prizes associated with a massive drawing like this week's $450 million prize. That's because when people hear that they didn't hit the jackpot, they often neglect to check whether they won any smaller prizes, said Jacobson.

"People don't even realize there are secondary prizes," he said.

The $1 million prizes are paid immediately to the winners, minus the taxes.

But the huge jackpots like this week's $450 million prize are actually a mirage. To get that much, winners have to take payments over 30 years. However, winners rarely choose to do that. Instead, they take a smaller lump sum payment worth about one-third less than the advertised jackpot."
    Make sure to check your tickets people. You wouldn't want to miss out on a 7 figure winning. 
    Sadly some people probably not very organized and the lotto ticket gets lost in their back pocket or underneath the couch...

Do you have facts that back up "$2 billion in unclaimed prizes" and "300 unclaimed prizes worth $1 million or more"?

KCMO
      United States
      Member #163681
      February 7, 2015
      56 Posts
      Posted: February 9, 2015, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Yes. A guy filed public records to lotto officials to see how much money went unclaimed, and it was about 2 billion. 

Jacobson filed public records requests with lottery commissions around the country to find out just how many prizes go unclaimed.

The total is astonishing: $2.04 billion went unclaimed in 2013 alone. Since each state runs its own lottery independently, the nationwide total had been a mystery until now. Lottery officials have estimated in the past that unclaimed prizes nationwide might approach $800 million annually."

Left Coast
        United States
        Member #122298
        January 28, 2012
        125 Posts
        Posted: February 9, 2015, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

I don't remember the 300 number. That seems way high. That would be a significant chunk of $1M winners nationwide. It would have been a much bigger story.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
          Member #142499
          May 13, 2013
          1200 Posts
          Posted: February 10, 2015, 7:31 am - IP Logged

I saw the article. I don't know which is more surprising, that there were over 300 $1 million winners last year alone, or that so many never claimed it. It seems so improbable, and yet, if true, is a massive waste. That's $300 million!!! That's like the cash value of this current jackpot going unclaimed. Thud

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
            Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #37433
            April 14, 2006
            2747 Posts
            Posted: February 10, 2015, 8:02 am - IP Logged

"...More than 300 prizes worth $1 million or more went unclaimed in 2013..." 

I don't buy that at all. I do know that plenty of people forget or delay to check or to cash-in small prizes but 300 prizes of over $1M? Brett Jacobson didn't provide any evidence to his outrageous claims.   Wink

That money's gone fo ever

uprrman's avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
              harvard,il
              United States
              Member #96756
              September 4, 2010
              2552 Posts
              Posted: February 10, 2015, 9:33 am - IP Logged

I don't buy that at all. I do know that plenty of people forget or delay to check or to cash-in small prizes but 300 prizes of over $1M? Brett Jacobson didn't provide any evidence to his outrageous claims.   Wink

wow that would sure buy a lot ofLurking would it not hee hee

i want to be a millionaire a second time!

sweetie7398's avatar - flower2
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #22702
                September 30, 2005
                3212 Posts
                Posted: February 10, 2015, 10:32 am - IP Logged

If you play, you need to check your tickets.

Life, love, family Love

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #55889
                  October 23, 2007
                  5767 Posts
                  Posted: February 10, 2015, 10:37 am - IP Logged

It wouldn't surprise me if most of those tics were scratchoffs instead of draw tics. Some people might not realize they have a winner.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Left Coast
                    United States
                    Member #122298
                    January 28, 2012
                    125 Posts
                    Posted: February 10, 2015, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

And not to be completely cynical about the source, but I also remember last fall there was a news story about the "largest" personal data breach in history... The story had legs for a few days until some people in the press realized the source of the story was a company that offered personal data security solutions. But the details of the data breach were fuzzy at best.

Nonetheless, take steps to protect your ID; check your purchased tickets.

United States
                      Member #163309
                      January 25, 2015
                      18 Posts
                      Posted: February 10, 2015, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Shocked   Well as I said before, I may have lost a $100,000 on a scratch off ticket. Thats right I'm not sure if it was or not but anyway i stupidly took it to a local store , and the clerk ripped it up for me! Wasn't that special!?  You literally can't believe your eyes and think it's a typo or something! So that's what I did!Agree with stupid

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                        Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: February 11, 2015, 6:43 am - IP Logged

Yessir and a lot of Cheers too

That money's gone fo ever

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                          ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                          United States
                          Member #4924
                          June 3, 2004
                          5982 Posts
                          Posted: February 11, 2015, 6:50 am - IP Logged

I find it hard to believe, also. But, I watched some of the people who purchased Powerball tickets, yesterday. There was a senior citizen who asked the clerk, how could I purchase one? There is no way she understands,how the game is played, might be her first time.

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
                            Jacksonville, Florida
                            United States
                            Member #140364
                            March 17, 2013
                            195 Posts
                            Posted: February 11, 2015, 8:47 am - IP Logged

Validate your tickets and get your billions back, America!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              6305 Posts
                              Posted: February 11, 2015, 9:14 am - IP Logged

300 people wow that sure is a lot.

I Love Pink & Green 1908