Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why people who won the jackpot frequently decide to choose money cash over annuity money?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 2 years ago by PrinceRene.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coral Springs
United States
Member #153341
March 13, 2014
19 Posts
Posted: February 10, 2015, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Why people who won the jackpot frequently decide to choose money cash over annuity money? Someone told me that the money annuity can not be inherited; because,  when owner dies the annuity money  the U.S. government take possession this money annuities? This is true? are there some other reason?

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: February 10, 2015, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about that but I do know that I would take a lump sum payout because I don't know if taxes are going to increase or decrease <<<hahaha LOL  in the future. Look at the national debt to guide you on the direction taxes will go. Not good.

That money's gone fo ever

Left Coast
      United States
      Member #122298
      January 28, 2012
      125 Posts
      Posted: February 10, 2015, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

Why people who won the jackpot frequently decide to choose money cash over annuity money? Someone told me that the money annuity can not be inherited; because,  when owner dies the annuity money  the U.S. government take possession this money annuities? This is true? are there some other reason?

Check out the FAQs on the USA Mega page and the Powerball and MegaMillions pages for answers to that question and other similar ones. Winners to get to designate a beneficiary to receive their annuity.

There are plenty of reasons that people opt for the cash option:
      - age. People want to spend, give and make decisions before they get too old.
      - winner might think they can invest better and earn more than the sum the annuity will deliver
      - some of the "winners gone bankrupt" stories involve winners with annuities who had huge mortgages, car loans, and credit card debt and managed to outspend their annual income.
      - general uncertainty about future taxes and legislation that might effect annuities (including anxiety about inheritance laws)
      - "A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush"
      - etc.
      - etc.

Good luck everyone.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
        Texas Panhandle
        United States
        Member #136843
        December 20, 2012
        1275 Posts
        Posted: February 10, 2015, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

Many people think they can beat the rate of return on an annuity by investing the money on their own.  That's debatable and depends upon a lot of factors, but it's a fact the lottery entity doesn't have to pay taxes on the investment income,  so that should be a consideration.  For some - such as myself -  choosing the CV option makes much more sense since we're over 30 40 50 past a certain age  and want to do things with or enjoy the bulk of the money while we still can.  (if I had known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself) There's also the uncertainty of the future to think about.

I know a lot of "someones" like that.  Far too often, they give me bad advice or wrong information.  Try this instead.

KCMO
          United States
          Member #163681
          February 7, 2015
          56 Posts
          Posted: February 10, 2015, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Okay, OP, whoever told you the annuity gets taken over by the government has no idea what they're talking about. That's such a stupid assumption that it truly bogles the mind. Anyway, the annuity is just like any other asset you have...you can put it in your will and designate an heir or family member to inherit that annuity. 

Second, yes most lotto winners, if you look at the PB winner's page, choose to take lump sum. Most think they can beat the rate that the lotto can get the annuity to you for...but I actually don't think in real world they can beat the annuity rate. Even with hiring a team of financial professionals...people assume they will get great returns. When we know that alot of the Wall St guys are only looking to pad their own bank accounts...

I would be very interested in seeing a study to see for real who comes out ahead. Because the norm thinking is that the lump sum guys will surely come out ahead. But does that pan out in the real world? There are tons of stories of people blowing their money. Also I would venture that from the investment sales industry, the life time return may not even reach the very conservative 3-4% return. Of course that 3-4% has to be inflation adjusted as well.

People scoff at the measly 3-4% return and even in the article they basically put 100+mil into an investment product and then calculate out the return based on annual returns.

But do the people know exactly WHAT to invest in? US Domestic equity index funds? Foreign government bonds? Municipal bonds? US Treasury bonds? Hedge funds? Private equity? Real estate? Some fancy named actively managed mutual fund? Commodities fund? Developed markets equity fund? Emerging markets equity fund? Individual stocks? Growth stock fund? Value stock fund? Momentum funds? Inflation-hedged bonds?

It would be interesting to go out and track down all the past winners, and see how much money they have now versus what they could've had, theoretically, with the annuity payments. 

And of course the lotto winners are fraught with terrible stories....look at Jack Whittaker. 

Another example: Abraham Shakespeare....

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7308 Posts
            Posted: February 10, 2015, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

"Someone told me that the money annuity can not be inherited; because,  when owner dies the annuity money  the U.S. government take possession this money annuities?"

Just about every state lottery website explains what happens to an annuity if the winner dies and they explain it in depth to the jackpot winners. Would it make any sense to even offer a 30 year annuity if it's possible the government could get all the money if the winner dies?

United States
              Member #149820
              December 9, 2013
              644 Posts
              Posted: February 10, 2015, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

My guess would be that they think they would die before they could collect all the annunity, but hey you could drop dead 5 seconds after knowing you've won so I say take the cash take the annunity either way YOLO

Left Coast
                United States
                Member #122298
                January 28, 2012
                125 Posts
                Posted: February 10, 2015, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

And on my short list of first things to do with a lump sum jackpot:

- create an annuity.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                  JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                  Member #141034
                  April 2, 2013
                  1408 Posts
                  Posted: February 10, 2015, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

CASH is king no matter how you slice it.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7308 Posts
                    Posted: February 10, 2015, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Okay, OP, whoever told you the annuity gets taken over by the government has no idea what they're talking about. That's such a stupid assumption that it truly bogles the mind. Anyway, the annuity is just like any other asset you have...you can put it in your will and designate an heir or family member to inherit that annuity. 

Second, yes most lotto winners, if you look at the PB winner's page, choose to take lump sum. Most think they can beat the rate that the lotto can get the annuity to you for...but I actually don't think in real world they can beat the annuity rate. Even with hiring a team of financial professionals...people assume they will get great returns. When we know that alot of the Wall St guys are only looking to pad their own bank accounts...

I would be very interested in seeing a study to see for real who comes out ahead. Because the norm thinking is that the lump sum guys will surely come out ahead. But does that pan out in the real world? There are tons of stories of people blowing their money. Also I would venture that from the investment sales industry, the life time return may not even reach the very conservative 3-4% return. Of course that 3-4% has to be inflation adjusted as well.

People scoff at the measly 3-4% return and even in the article they basically put 100+mil into an investment product and then calculate out the return based on annual returns.

But do the people know exactly WHAT to invest in? US Domestic equity index funds? Foreign government bonds? Municipal bonds? US Treasury bonds? Hedge funds? Private equity? Real estate? Some fancy named actively managed mutual fund? Commodities fund? Developed markets equity fund? Emerging markets equity fund? Individual stocks? Growth stock fund? Value stock fund? Momentum funds? Inflation-hedged bonds?

It would be interesting to go out and track down all the past winners, and see how much money they have now versus what they could've had, theoretically, with the annuity payments. 

And of course the lotto winners are fraught with terrible stories....look at Jack Whittaker. 

Another example: Abraham Shakespeare....

Every time players catch jackpot fever we get lots of inaccuracies and the "government keeps any annuity money" at death is just one of them.

"It would be interesting to go out and track down all the past winners, and see how much money they have now versus what they could've had, theoretically, with the annuity payments."

Found something interesting on USA Mega; the gross annuity payment increases each year making the idea of the losing it all at death even more silly.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                      Upacreek
                      United States
                      Member #136306
                      December 8, 2012
                      428 Posts
                      Posted: February 10, 2015, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I've heard, but don't know if this is a fact... if you take the annuity and die before the full payout, your heirs or estate may be subjected to the entire tax bill at once for the value of the remaining payments.

So... for simplicity, let's say the jackpot's annuitized value is $30 and you get paid a dollar a year for the next 30 years and pay $0.25 each year in taxes. 

In year 15 you kick the can... Uncle Sam says... gimme $3.75 in taxes now.

Well if your heirs are only getting a $1 a year, it's gonna take them almost 4 yrs just to cover the current tax bill... you can see the dilemma?

As I said... I don't know if this is a fact, but I think there is a court case to back this on a lotto winner in texas years ago.

Maybe somebody can weigh in?

-RC

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                        Columbus, Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #128906
                        June 5, 2012
                        591 Posts
                        Posted: February 10, 2015, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

I'm taking the cash... depending on the amount, I'd bank 75% and spend the rest

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                          Happyland
                          United States
                          Member #146344
                          September 1, 2013
                          1129 Posts
                          Posted: February 10, 2015, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

It's not always a conscious choice. Those who buy quick picks in states where making the choice post-win is prohibited are stuck with the cash.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                            Texas Panhandle
                            United States
                            Member #136843
                            December 20, 2012
                            1275 Posts
                            Posted: February 10, 2015, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

I've heard, but don't know if this is a fact... if you take the annuity and die before the full payout, your heirs or estate may be subjected to the entire tax bill at once for the value of the remaining payments.

So... for simplicity, let's say the jackpot's annuitized value is $30 and you get paid a dollar a year for the next 30 years and pay $0.25 each year in taxes. 

In year 15 you kick the can... Uncle Sam says... gimme $3.75 in taxes now.

Well if your heirs are only getting a $1 a year, it's gonna take them almost 4 yrs just to cover the current tax bill... you can see the dilemma?

As I said... I don't know if this is a fact, but I think there is a court case to back this on a lotto winner in texas years ago.

Maybe somebody can weigh in?

Yes, I've read that as well.  I've also read there's some sort of insurance to help with that.  It would certainly be something to consider. 

If I win, I'm taking the CV option but I'll also look into making sure taxes will be taken out of any remaining monies in my estate before it's distributed to my heirs.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                              Happy California
                              United States
                              Member #157856
                              August 2, 2014
                              1513 Posts
                              Posted: February 10, 2015, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

HI RC, I will weigh in. It is called an irrevocable life insurance trust (IlIT)  Hire an excellent Estate Planner to make it work for you. Do get all  your ducks in a row before cashing your winning ticket in.

PartyTime to party !