Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NC Scratch Offs... $20 Tickets seem to be the Best Bet.

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Jim777.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Jim777's avatar - e13dc2c8 9163-4600-9f1d-a2456b1f5cab_zpsmbkn

United States
Member #95537
August 12, 2010
54 Posts
Posted: February 12, 2015, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

I live in Boone NC and have been playing the NC Scratch Offs for about 4 years now...

For a long time I had different ideas about the best way to play these Scratch offs. Sure it's Blind Luck but there are strategies such as spending $20 on Several different $2, $3, or $5 tickets, or buying 5-10 at a time in a row, etc. etc. etc.

My main idea was I only spend $20 at a time and I liked to buy several different scratch offs of LOW amounts $1, $2, $3, $5, the occasional $10 etc..

The results were ok.. Winning a few LOW amounts, and keeping track of what I spent vs what I won I ended up losing about 50% of what I spent... Typical results from Scratch offs.. BUT..

Over the Years I've bought Scratch Offs, I have been lucky. I've won $500 once on a Green Gold Ticket. I've won $100 Three times on various $5 tickets and I've won several $20, $50 prizes along with a lot of Break Even Amounts...

Then I Started Thinking... And I Stumbled upon a Strategy that Truly Seems to work and result in Consistent Big Wins in the $100 range or better...

I've found that the $20 Tickets Pay VERY Well...

I started buying ONE $20 Ticket at a time. Perhaps One a Day or Whatever.. I don't buy these 2-3 at a time I only buy ONE at a time at any ONE location.

BUT.. I've been winning a LOT more...

Here's Why...

When you buy a $20 NC Scratch off Ticket there are 2 Outcomes from your purchase.

The First Possible Outcome is... You'll have a Losing Ticket and you lost your $20. So be it... Live to try again...

Or..

The Second Outcome is.. You have a WINNING Ticket which means you get your $20 Back in FULL and Hopefully Even MORE... ANY WINNER is going to be at the very LEAST the $20 you spent BACK in your Pocket!! I like this way more than spending $20 on various Low Dollar tickets and only getting say $8 back after spending $20 on various low dollar tickets. 

The Best thing about the $20 tickets however is... I get a LOT MORE FREQUENT WINS than with the other Low Dollar Tickets... $20 Tickets are about 1 in 3 Odds... And, I've found that when I DO get a Winning $20 Ticket, it's often a LOT MORE than the $20 I spent. I make a PROFIT from the ticket when I win... Very Often I'll win $50 or even $100 from a $20 ticket...

Since I started playing the $20 tickets I've done Very Well... I'm still hoping to hit a nice $1000+ win!!

So My advice is, if your GOING to play the Scratch Offs, go for the $20 tickets... It's a Lot more Satisfying to get a nice Chunk of your Money Back if you do win!!

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1704 Posts
    Posted: February 12, 2015, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

I live in Boone NC and have been playing the NC Scratch Offs for about 4 years now...

For a long time I had different ideas about the best way to play these Scratch offs. Sure it's Blind Luck but there are strategies such as spending $20 on Several different $2, $3, or $5 tickets, or buying 5-10 at a time in a row, etc. etc. etc.

My main idea was I only spend $20 at a time and I liked to buy several different scratch offs of LOW amounts $1, $2, $3, $5, the occasional $10 etc..

The results were ok.. Winning a few LOW amounts, and keeping track of what I spent vs what I won I ended up losing about 50% of what I spent... Typical results from Scratch offs.. BUT..

Over the Years I've bought Scratch Offs, I have been lucky. I've won $500 once on a Green Gold Ticket. I've won $100 Three times on various $5 tickets and I've won several $20, $50 prizes along with a lot of Break Even Amounts...

Then I Started Thinking... And I Stumbled upon a Strategy that Truly Seems to work and result in Consistent Big Wins in the $100 range or better...

I've found that the $20 Tickets Pay VERY Well...

I started buying ONE $20 Ticket at a time. Perhaps One a Day or Whatever.. I don't buy these 2-3 at a time I only buy ONE at a time at any ONE location.

BUT.. I've been winning a LOT more...

Here's Why...

When you buy a $20 NC Scratch off Ticket there are 2 Outcomes from your purchase.

The First Possible Outcome is... You'll have a Losing Ticket and you lost your $20. So be it... Live to try again...

Or..

The Second Outcome is.. You have a WINNING Ticket which means you get your $20 Back in FULL and Hopefully Even MORE... ANY WINNER is going to be at the very LEAST the $20 you spent BACK in your Pocket!! I like this way more than spending $20 on various Low Dollar tickets and only getting say $8 back after spending $20 on various low dollar tickets. 

The Best thing about the $20 tickets however is... I get a LOT MORE FREQUENT WINS than with the other Low Dollar Tickets... $20 Tickets are about 1 in 3 Odds... And, I've found that when I DO get a Winning $20 Ticket, it's often a LOT MORE than the $20 I spent. I make a PROFIT from the ticket when I win... Very Often I'll win $50 or even $100 from a $20 ticket...

Since I started playing the $20 tickets I've done Very Well... I'm still hoping to hit a nice $1000+ win!!

So My advice is, if your GOING to play the Scratch Offs, go for the $20 tickets... It's a Lot more Satisfying to get a nice Chunk of your Money Back if you do win!!

Which particular $20 NC Scratch Offs  do you buy ???

United States
      Member #95537
      August 12, 2010
      54 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2015, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

I buy the 200 Million Blow Out.. The most Recent $20 Ticket Released by NC.

I have to say the years I spent playing the Low Dollar Scratch offs such as the $1, $2, $3, and even $5 tickets became an Exercise in Frustration. It's nearly impossible to win on the Low dollar tickets.

Sure my biggest win was on a $5 Green Gold Ticket for $500, this is still the Single Largest Win I've ever Scratched so far.

But the $20 tickets are WAY more Satisfying. Sure your spending more $$$ But the Wins are Far more Frequent and for Nice Amounts that equal More than the $20 price of the ticket... 1 in 3 odds means Good Results...

From now on I'm sticking to the $20 Tickets... If I hit a nice win, I'll post a photo here..

I really wish we could simply UPLOAD a photo to this site rather than have to HOST it somewhere else and Link it... Would be really nice to just UPLOAD photos directly to this site...

South Carolina
        United States
        Member #18322
        July 9, 2005
        1704 Posts
        Posted: February 15, 2015, 12:41 am - IP Logged

I have to say the years I spent playing the Low Dollar Scratch offs such as the $1, $2, $3, and even $5 tickets became an Exercise in Frustration. It's nearly impossible to win on the Low dollar tickets.

Sure my biggest win was on a $5 Green Gold Ticket for $500, this is still the Single Largest Win I've ever Scratched so far.

But the $20 tickets are WAY more Satisfying. Sure your spending more $$$ But the Wins are Far more Frequent and for Nice Amounts that equal More than the $20 price of the ticket... 1 in 3 odds means Good Results...

From now on I'm sticking to the $20 Tickets... If I hit a nice win, I'll post a photo here..

I really wish we could simply UPLOAD a photo to this site rather than have to HOST it somewhere else and Link it... Would be really nice to just UPLOAD photos directly to this site...

Does "1 in 3 odds" mean that you have 1 in 3 chances of winning some prize, any prize, other than the largest jackpot prize ??? Meaning, you have a 1 in 3 chance of winning your $20 back, to at least break even ??

Jim777:  Have you ever failed to win your $20 back, and break even ??

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
          Member #158848
          September 5, 2014
          294 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2015, 2:01 am - IP Logged

Several of the $10 cards are quite good, as well as a few of the lower priced cards. Here is a list of the best current NC cards to buy:

• $200 Million Cash Blowout ($20)
          • $4 Million Multiplier Spectacular ($20)
          • 50X The Cash ($10)
          • $1 Million Jackpot ($10)
          • Millionaire 7's ($10)
          • Jumbo Bucks ($10)
          • $2500 A Week For Life ($5)
          • $1000 A Week For Life ($2)
          • $500 A Week For Life ($1)

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

South Carolina
            United States
            Member #18322
            July 9, 2005
            1704 Posts
            Posted: February 15, 2015, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

Several of the $10 cards are quite good, as well as a few of the lower priced cards. Here is a list of the best current NC cards to buy:

• $200 Million Cash Blowout ($20)
            • $4 Million Multiplier Spectacular ($20)
            • 50X The Cash ($10)
            • $1 Million Jackpot ($10)
            • Millionaire 7's ($10)
            • Jumbo Bucks ($10)
            • $2500 A Week For Life ($5)
            • $1000 A Week For Life ($2)
            • $500 A Week For Life ($1)

Thank you, for this information.  I will go to the North Carolina lottery website, and study the payout structure for each of these  scratcher games

United States
              Member #158848
              September 5, 2014
              294 Posts
              Posted: February 15, 2015, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Thank you, for this information.  I will go to the North Carolina lottery website, and study the payout structure for each of these  scratcher games

South Carolina has pretty weak payouts on most of their scratchers. You're definitely better off buying scratchers in North Carolina and Georgia.

Pasadena, CA
                United States
                Member #153326
                March 13, 2014
                186 Posts
                Posted: February 16, 2015, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't bother with any ticket below $5; it's an exercise in futility. It took me seven years--7!--before winning $100 on a $2 ticket. Consequently, my biggest win--$1,000--was on a $10 ticket and that took only three years with plenty of $100 and $200 wins.

United States
                  Member #158848
                  September 5, 2014
                  294 Posts
                  Posted: February 16, 2015, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't bother with any ticket below $5; it's an exercise in futility. It took me seven years--7!--before winning $100 on a $2 ticket. Consequently, my biggest win--$1,000--was on a $10 ticket and that took only three years with plenty of $100 and $200 wins.

I agree with you in most cases. However - many retirees, people on medical disability, college students etcetera are on very tight budgets - and honestly can't afford $10 cards. For many of them, $5 cards are a stretch. So the $1/2/3 cards have their place. 

A somewhat elderly woman was passing through North Carolina last year and decided to buy a $1 scratcher when she stopped for gas. She won $500 a week for life.

United States
                    Member #158848
                    September 5, 2014
                    294 Posts
                    Posted: February 16, 2015, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

Does "1 in 3 odds" mean that you have 1 in 3 chances of winning some prize, any prize, other than the largest jackpot prize ??? Meaning, you have a 1 in 3 chance of winning your $20 back, to at least break even ??

Jim777:  Have you ever failed to win your $20 back, and break even ??

Yes, that means one out of every three cards wins some level of prize. It could be anything from a "break even" to the grand prize.

United States
                      Member #95537
                      August 12, 2010
                      54 Posts
                      Posted: February 17, 2015, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

The Odds are interesting... You can view all the information on the 200 Million Blowout ticket here... http://www.nc-educationlottery.org/instant_detail.aspx?gn=413

As you can see the $200 Million Blowout ticket has odds of 1 in 3.01. So to answer your question, 1 in 3 chances of winning means you should win at least a Break Even Ticket (your $20 back in your pocket) on every 3rd ticket. HOWEVER... This is not how the tickets are arranged or printed in the book of tickets... There could Easily be 8 tickets in a Row that are all losers. Then again, You could find 3-4 tickets in a Row that are all winners.

The interesting part about the Odds of 1 in 3.01 is if you click the link on the NC State Lottery Website that lets you view How to Play and Odds... You'll find the True Odds of a Break Even Ticket are in fact listed as 1 in 10.... Check it out here... http://www.nc-educationlottery.org/uploads/docs/htp413.pdfhttp://www.nc-educationlottery.org/uploads/docs/htp413.pdf

I don't understand how they can print odds of 1 in 3.01 on the Ticket itself when obviously the TRUE ODDS are 1 in 10...

To answer your second question, Have I ever failed to win my $20 back and Break even. Yes, I've Lost my $20 Many Many Times. I've bought 5 tickets over 5 days and had All of them be Losing tickets... Then I go out and buy another $20 ticket and win $100 so go figure. It's Pure LUCK... But with odds of 1 in 3.01 or whatever the odds are BETTER that you'll win something nice on the $20 tickets.

The thing about buying Scratch Off Tickets or Gambling in general is... You Cannot Win if you Never Buy a Ticket or Take a Chance in Life... If you Want Something in Life you have to TAKE ACTION and TAKE A CHANCE to give yourself the OPPORTUNITY to WIN. If you Never take a chance, You'll Never have a Chance to win. This is why I buy Scratch Offs... It's up to ME to at least Take the Chance if I want to win. That means Paying a Price for that Chance...

What I love about Scratch Off Tickets are the fact that Scratch offs are not a Scam. Some people feel it's a Waste of money.. I say it's a Chance to win Money... Legally and 100% Real.

A Scratch Off Ticket is a Legal Bond issued from the State. Think of a Scratch Off Ticket as a State Issued BOND.. It could be Worthless or It Could Be worth $4,000,000!!

It's 100% Legitimate and Legal. The Tickets are sold with Clear Odds printed on them and if you Do Win then the State WILL PAY YOU the Amount you won.. It's Interesting for me to take this chance at winning $4,000,000 Legally. Just think how you could LIVE with $4MILLION!! Of course TAXES would be taken out so your True Win would be around $2Million but that's still LIFE CHANGING MONEY!! Where else could you Legally get $2 Million Dollars?? I would Love to have that Amount of money come into my life... I could EASILY RETIRE and live the GOOD LIFE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE on $2Million.

Since I've been playing the $20 tickets I am currently UP about $140 but remember, Gambling is Gambling... It's LUCK that you need to win along with Good Odds.

If I win something nice like $500+ I'll post a photo here...

United States
                        Member #95537
                        August 12, 2010
                        54 Posts
                        Posted: February 17, 2015, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

I do still occasionally buy the $3 Crossword Tickets because they are fun to scratch and my wife loves them. She buys nothing but the $3 Tickets such as the Crosswords or the Bingo cards and has had some luck with them but the real reason she buys them is because she enjoys the slow process of scratching them, doing the Crossword or playing the Bingo type game... It takes longer to scratch, etc.

With the Crosswords or Bingo Scratchers you REALLY Have to look CLOSE at it to see if you won anything... It's very easy to miss a winner if you don't look very closely.

For a while I saved all my old Scratch Off tickets... I had a Shoebox FULL of "Losing" Tickets.. Well one day I was going through these old tickets and stumbled upon a Winner for $5 that we had MISSED and thrown in with the other losing tickets... Like I say Double and Triple check the Crosswords and Bingo tickets!!

Imagine the number of people who actually WIN one of these tickets and throw it away... I'm sure it's happened... Could explain the 1 $50,000 price left in circulation... Someone bought that ticket, scratched it, didn't realize it was a winner and Tossed it...

United States
                          Member #95537
                          August 12, 2010
                          54 Posts
                          Posted: February 17, 2015, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

Yes, that means one out of every three cards wins some level of prize. It could be anything from a "break even" to the grand prize.

Exactly... 1 out of every 3 Should be a winner and Probably will be. This could mean 8 losing tickets in a row followed by 2-3 winning tickets in a row but Overall, the odds are 1 in 3.01 that you will win something and the Lowest Prize is the Price of the Ticket = Full Refund of the Price you Paid for that ticket.

I hear there is a NEW $20 NC Scratch Ticket about to be released with Odds of 1 in 2.95 or something like that... It's a 20 Times the Cash $20 Ticket... Once this ticket comes out, I'm going to buy them as my primary Scratch Ticket...

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                            Upacreek
                            United States
                            Member #136306
                            December 8, 2012
                            428 Posts
                            Posted: February 17, 2015, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Interesting... the way they describe the odds are confusing to me

What's the difference between Approx. Overall Odds and Approx. Combined Odds?

"The number of prizes are approximate based on the number of tickets printed."

"Chances of winning and the number of prizes are established at the time of printing and will change as prizes are won"

So if I'm reading this correctly, the odds are worse if all the tickets aren't printed?  Right?

-RC

United States
                              Member #158848
                              September 5, 2014
                              294 Posts
                              Posted: February 17, 2015, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

NC has a $10 card that's 50X the Cash, so I believe the $20 card would be 100X the Cash, not 20X. They already have a $5 card that's 20X the Cash.