Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Address Confidentiality Program Authorization Card

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 2 years ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2015, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

North Carolina Lottery permits winners to remain anonymous in some circumstances. Would this work in other states?

Q: If I should win a large top prize, do I have the option of remaining anonymous with regard to the media and the public?

A: The NCEL will consider a winner’s name, city/county, and the prize amount a matter of public record, unless the winner produces a valid protective order or Address Confidentiality Program authorization card.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: February 14, 2015, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Several states have this:

http://nnedv.org/downloads/SafetyNet/NNEDV_ACPChart_2013.pdf

Usually only allowed for victims of domestic violence, sexual abuse etc. Not sure if it would keep name from being released either.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

South Carolina
      United States
      Member #18322
      July 9, 2005
      1704 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2015, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

North Carolina Lottery permits winners to remain anonymous in some circumstances. Would this work in other states?

Q: If I should win a large top prize, do I have the option of remaining anonymous with regard to the media and the public?

A: The NCEL will consider a winner’s name, city/county, and the prize amount a matter of public record, unless the winner produces a valid protective order or Address Confidentiality Program authorization card.

EXPLAIN PLEASE:

1) What is an Address Confidentiality Program ??  How can your address become classified as Confidential ??

2)  A Valid Protective Order against what ???

3) I live in South Carolina.  If I won the North Carolina Pick 5 lottery, which state's law would apply, regarding publicizing my identity ???

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2015, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

destinycreation,

I'll just take a shot at 2 and say some states call a restraining order a 'valid protective order'.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Bondi Junction
          Australia
          Member #57242
          December 24, 2007
          1102 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2015, 4:37 am - IP Logged

EXPLAIN PLEASE:

1) What is an Address Confidentiality Program ??  How can your address become classified as Confidential ??

3) I live in South Carolina.  If I won the North Carolina Pick 5 lottery, which state's law would apply, regarding publicizing my identity ???

Colorado has an address confidentiality program:

The Address Confidentiality Program (ACP), residing under the Division of Central Services (DCS), is a statewide program that provides survivors of domestic violence, sexual offenses, and/or stalking with two services: a legal substitute address for interacting with all state and local government agencies and a confidential mail forwarding service.

?Uses for the substitute address include: drivers licensing, school enrollment, human services benefits, police and court reports, voter registration records, bank accounts, and special protections on Comcast and other utility accounts.

Bondi Junction
            Australia
            Member #57242
            December 24, 2007
            1102 Posts
            Posted: February 15, 2015, 4:43 am - IP Logged

EXPLAIN PLEASE:

A protective order is an order issued by a court telling one person (the restrained person) to stay away from and not to hurt, threaten, or communicate with another person. A protective order is also known as a protection order, a restraining order, a civil protective or restraining order, an injunction, a no contact order. The order is usually issued by a judge for the protection of family members exposed to domestic violence. It orders the abuser to do or not to do certain things that the judge specifies. 

South Carolina
              United States
              Member #18322
              July 9, 2005
              1704 Posts
              Posted: February 15, 2015, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

Colorado has an address confidentiality program:

The Address Confidentiality Program (ACP), residing under the Division of Central Services (DCS), is a statewide program that provides survivors of domestic violence, sexual offenses, and/or stalking with two services: a legal substitute address for interacting with all state and local government agencies and a confidential mail forwarding service.

?Uses for the substitute address include: drivers licensing, school enrollment, human services benefits, police and court reports, voter registration records, bank accounts, and special protections on Comcast and other utility accounts.

Thank you, for the explanation.  Basically, there really isn't anyway to keep your identity confidential, if you win big, because most people probably don't fall into the qualifications for either of these two categories - Address Confidentiality or Protective Order.

Bondi Junction
                Australia
                Member #57242
                December 24, 2007
                1102 Posts
                Posted: February 15, 2015, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

If you win it, you won’t ever have to worry about money again–right?

Wrong.

With good money management you–and your heirs–could live handsomely for many, many years. But from the moment that you claim that prize, you will be descended upon by vultures who want a hefty helping of those winnings. And if you didn’t have smart money habits up until now, you could easily turn out to be your own worst enemy by quickly squandering the fortune. (See my post, “Thieves And Forgers Rush In Where Big Spenders Dare To Tread.”)

The first precautionary step you should take between now and the drawing is to sign the back of the ticket, says Carolyn Hapeman, a spokeswoman for The New York Lottery. A lottery ticket is a bearer instrument, she explains, meaning that whoever signs the ticket and presents a photo ID can claim the prize. So if you haven’t signed the ticket and it blows out of your hand while you are waiting for a bus, or if you show it to a buddy in a bar and accidentally leave it on the counter, you’ve lost the loot.

Bondi Junction
                  Australia
                  Member #57242
                  December 24, 2007
                  1102 Posts
                  Posted: February 15, 2015, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Here are some steps to help you steer clear of additional risks. Most of them work well for other windfalls too–for example with sudden wealth that comes from an inheritance or the sale of a business.

1. Remain anonymous if your state rules permit it.  Once people know you’re suddenly wealthy, you’ll be badgered by requests for handouts from everyone from charities to long-lost friends and relatives–not to mention all the financial “experts” who will be vying for your business. So check state rules to see whether you can dodge them all by remaining anonymous.

Although Mega Millions is a national lottery, rules on winner publicity vary by state. In New York, for example, winners’ names are a public record. Elsewhere it may be possible to maintain your anonymity by setting up a trust or limited liability company to receive the winnings, says Beth C. Gamel, a CPA with Pillar Financial Advisors in Waltham, MA. A client of Gamel’s who won a past lottery did that, and had a lawyer claim the prize on behalf of of the trust. In South Carolina, where the Sept. 18 winner bought his or her ticket, it’s also possible to remain anonymous.

Depending on where you bought the ticket, prize winners have between 180 days and one year from the date of the drawing to claim their prize. So find out what the state rules are and plot a course.