Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When is the Last Time a Jackpot was Hit by a Group ?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Taurus$.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #161539
December 3, 2014
328 Posts
Posted: February 16, 2015, 10:02 am - IP Logged

I was thinking about this before the PB jackpot was just hit ... I don't remember when the last MM or PB jackpot was hit by a group of people.

I may have missed that news but I think it's been well over a year ... maybe two years, not sure.

When you think how many tickets a group of people might have toward a large jackpot but the groups don't seem to be hitting jackpots lately ... just individuals.

Of course the other two unknown tickets from the PB may be from a group when finally announced.

Anybody remember a group of people hitting MM or PB in the last year or two?

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
    Member #133462
    September 30, 2012
    5946 Posts
    Posted: February 16, 2015, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Good question!

I think it's been at least a year and a half since a pool won. Further proof that buying tons of quick picks doesn't guarantee a win. It only takes being in the right place at the right time.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4108 Posts
      Posted: February 16, 2015, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Perhaps they don't work anymore.Big Smile

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19830 Posts
        Posted: February 16, 2015, 10:25 am - IP Logged

I was thinking about this before the PB jackpot was just hit ... I don't remember when the last MM or PB jackpot was hit by a group of people.

I may have missed that news but I think it's been well over a year ... maybe two years, not sure.

When you think how many tickets a group of people might have toward a large jackpot but the groups don't seem to be hitting jackpots lately ... just individuals.

Of course the other two unknown tickets from the PB may be from a group when finally announced.

Anybody remember a group of people hitting MM or PB in the last year or two?

Many people join a lottery pool as an alternate to buying five or ten lines on their own which many single players do, that's probably why many groups odds of winning a prize aren't any better than many single players.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
          Massachusetts
          United States
          Member #37433
          April 14, 2006
          2747 Posts
          Posted: February 16, 2015, 10:28 am - IP Logged

When is the Last Time a Jackpot was Hit by a Group ?

Off the top of my head I'd say it was that group from Iowa that makes breakfast cereals?  I could be wrong because I  have watched a few of those Lottery Changed My Life episodes that blur the timeline.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
            Member #161539
            December 3, 2014
            328 Posts
            Posted: February 16, 2015, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Many people join a lottery pool as an alternate to buying five or ten lines on their own which many single players do, that's probably why many groups odds of winning a prize aren't any better than many single players.

That's a good point ... I was thinking about that as I was typing my original post. Maybe a person only plays one MM or PB ticket for a smaller jackpot but for a $400 or $500 million jackpot they spend $20 or $50 on their own, which would be sort of like a lottery pool with the extra tickets.

Still, I think it's interesting ... with all the groups or lottery pools that must exist for every drawing, that none of them seem to be hitting a jackpot. They are probably winning smaller amounts or lower tier prizes.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10353 Posts
              Posted: February 16, 2015, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

Go to the MM and PB websites and click on Winners Galleries or something similar.

They provide the jackpot winners year by year, names, location, etc.....unless of course they were fortunate enough to be in an synonymous state, then you don't get as much information.

Here's one from Powerball's Winners Stories:

FlaMass Family Lottery Joint Venture
              Florida
                April 23, 2014 Cash $148,800,000.00 annuity
              $86,932,220.04 cash

The MM site has several $1M winners that were groups.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                Texas
                United States
                Member #92330
                June 5, 2010
                887 Posts
                Posted: February 16, 2015, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised they don't win more often, but it goes to show that you don't need to buy a ton of tickets to win.

Look at the South Carolina winner from 2013. Spent $20 on PB tickets, only his second time playing, and won the $400 million jackpot.

The PB site also shows a group of 16 winning August of 2013.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                  NY State
                  United States
                  Member #92609
                  June 10, 2010
                  3707 Posts
                  Posted: February 16, 2015, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

The few that I can remember are; "The Albany Eight" from Albany NY... They won a MM jackpot maybe a year and a half ago.

Then there was a group of government employees from the City of Philadelphia (I *think* they worked for The City of Philly) that hit a PB jackpot.  I think that was last year.

Also in the state of NY, there was a group of restaurant workers from a town near Glens Falls NY that hit a MM million dollar second prize.  That might have happened two years ago.

It's my guess that there are more groups that have hit a second place million dollar prize than there are groups that have won a jackpot. Second place winners usually receive state-wide publicity, while jackpot winners get national publicity. 

It's funny what the press picks up and what they don't.  A crazy thing happened in Suffern NY a few years ago with NY's retired Sweet Million game.  Sweet Milly was NOT parimutual.  (Actually it was. IF there were 6 or more one million dollar winners it became parimutual.  If there were five or less million dollar winners, then each winner got one million dollars.)

Someone playing Sweet Milly played the same set of six numbers TWICE, at two different stores in Suffern. (The stores were one block apart)  Those six numbers hit, and the guy won TWO million dollars.  The media never picked up the story. To me, that's the kind of fluke thing that the entire media should have covered.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19830 Posts
                    Posted: February 16, 2015, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

The few that I can remember are; "The Albany Eight" from Albany NY... They won a MM jackpot maybe a year and a half ago.

Then there was a group of government employees from the City of Philadelphia (I *think* they worked for The City of Philly) that hit a PB jackpot.  I think that was last year.

Also in the state of NY, there was a group of restaurant workers from a town near Glens Falls NY that hit a MM million dollar second prize.  That might have happened two years ago.

It's my guess that there are more groups that have hit a second place million dollar prize than there are groups that have won a jackpot. Second place winners usually receive state-wide publicity, while jackpot winners get national publicity. 

It's funny what the press picks up and what they don't.  A crazy thing happened in Suffern NY a few years ago with NY's retired Sweet Million game.  Sweet Milly was NOT parimutual.  (Actually it was. IF there were 6 or more one million dollar winners it became parimutual.  If there were five or less million dollar winners, then each winner got one million dollars.)

Someone playing Sweet Milly played the same set of six numbers TWICE, at two different stores in Suffern. (The stores were one block apart)  Those six numbers hit, and the guy won TWO million dollars.  The media never picked up the story. To me, that's the kind of fluke thing that the entire media should have covered.

"Someone playing Sweet Milly played the same set of six numbers TWICE, at two different stores in Suffern. (The stores were one block apart)  Those six numbers hit, and the guy won TWO million dollars.  The media never picked up the story. To me, that's the kind of fluke thing that the entire media should have covered."

How did you learn about it if the media didn't cover it?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                      NY State
                      United States
                      Member #92609
                      June 10, 2010
                      3707 Posts
                      Posted: February 16, 2015, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

"Someone playing Sweet Milly played the same set of six numbers TWICE, at two different stores in Suffern. (The stores were one block apart)  Those six numbers hit, and the guy won TWO million dollars.  The media never picked up the story. To me, that's the kind of fluke thing that the entire media should have covered."

How did you learn about it if the media didn't cover it?

NY State Lottery website.

The website didn't ID the winner, rather they just listed the address of the two stores in Suffern where the tickets were sold.  I don't live too far from there and am familiar with the town, so I knew approximately where they were located.  Not too long after it happened, I happened to be in Suffern, so I drove past the stores.  They're maybe  couple hundred yards from each other.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Ft. Washington, MD
                        United States
                        Member #159267
                        September 20, 2014
                        123 Posts
                        Posted: February 16, 2015, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

Give five, i am originally from philly i know the group you are referring to. It's the SEPTA 48. They work the local and regional transportation of Southeastern PA. I forgot how much they won