Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 3:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many Millions would set you for life?

Topic closed. 97 replies. Last post 2 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 6 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
Member #164603
March 8, 2015
614 Posts
Posted: March 8, 2015, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Where in the Us can you get 117 acres for 375k $? Genuinely curious, sounds like my plan but much cheaper.

I'd say somewhere between 5-10 million €/ 7 - 12 million $.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4111 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2015, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

Where in the Us can you get 117 acres for 375k $? Genuinely curious, sounds like my plan but much cheaper.

In one of the Tumble-Weed States.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Germany
      Member #164603
      March 8, 2015
      614 Posts
      Posted: March 8, 2015, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

In one of the Tumble-Weed States.

lol in that case I'm out, arid climates aren't for me.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
        TX
        United States
        Member #121193
        January 4, 2012
        1637 Posts
        Posted: March 8, 2015, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19045744/Miller-Poweshiek-Pasture125-acres-in-Poweshiek-County-New-Sharon-IA/

This is in New Sharon Iowa....125 acres- $375 K

http://www.loopnet.com/Oklahoma/Henryetta-Commercial-Real-Estate/

Morris, Oklahoma...182 acres---$375K

Henryetta, OK    125 acres--- $275 K

http://www.landsofmaine.com/maine/land-for-sale/750-acres-in-Penobscot-County-Maine/id/1606382

Penobcot County Maine...750 Acres--$299,250.00

http://www.landsofmaine.com/maine/land-for-sale/138-acres-in-Penobscot-County-Maine/id/1637599

3 Bd 2 Ba  with 138 acres----$236,500.00...about 60-90  minutes north of Bangor

Not a real estate agent or promoting anything....Just sharing the wealth of land for at/under $375K  Thumbs Up

Germany
          Member #164603
          March 8, 2015
          614 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2015, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19045744/Miller-Poweshiek-Pasture125-acres-in-Poweshiek-County-New-Sharon-IA/

This is in New Sharon Iowa....125 acres- $375 K

http://www.loopnet.com/Oklahoma/Henryetta-Commercial-Real-Estate/

Morris, Oklahoma...182 acres---$375K

Henryetta, OK    125 acres--- $275 K

http://www.landsofmaine.com/maine/land-for-sale/750-acres-in-Penobscot-County-Maine/id/1606382

Penobcot County Maine...750 Acres--$299,250.00

http://www.landsofmaine.com/maine/land-for-sale/138-acres-in-Penobscot-County-Maine/id/1637599

3 Bd 2 Ba  with 138 acres----$236,500.00...about 60-90  minutes north of Bangor

Not a real estate agent or promoting anything....Just sharing the wealth of land for at/under $375K  Thumbs Up

Thanks, I'll pass on the ones "in the middle" (no offense") but the ones on offer in Maine are interesting.

I'd be looking at California, Washington or Oregon though.

I'll keep an eye on that for my "What to buy after I hit the Jackpot"-list. Cool

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5615 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2015, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, I'll pass on the ones "in the middle" (no offense") but the ones on offer in Maine are interesting.

I'd be looking at California, Washington or Oregon though.

I'll keep an eye on that for my "What to buy after I hit the Jackpot"-list. Cool

California, Washington, and Oregon are the absolute last places in the US (well, NYC also) that I would move to if I won a jackpot.

I'm kinda scoping properties in the Texas hill country just for giggles. And in case fate falls in my favor. My thinking is to get away from big cities and big populations but get to a little warmer climate. In north Texas we just got nailed with a couple weeks of ice and sleet and snow.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4111 Posts
              Posted: March 8, 2015, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

California, Washington, and Oregon are the absolute last places in the US (well, NYC also) that I would move to if I won a jackpot.

I'm kinda scoping properties in the Texas hill country just for giggles. And in case fate falls in my favor. My thinking is to get away from big cities and big populations but get to a little warmer climate. In north Texas we just got nailed with a couple weeks of ice and sleet and snow.

Well that's just peachy buckeye- l am not moving to any State where l can't see the Ocean in 30 mins.BTW Washington State is Senior State Friendly, you are getting up in years ain't you, well if not now- think Future. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

bub1964's avatar - cat anm.gif
                kentucky
                United States
                Member #158338
                August 19, 2014
                12 Posts
                Posted: March 17, 2015, 12:23 am - IP Logged

one would do it for me...

Bondi Junction
                  Australia
                  Member #57242
                  December 24, 2007
                  1102 Posts
                  Posted: March 17, 2015, 5:06 am - IP Logged

Season Tickets can be purchased via phone from across the US:

1-800-222-8587 (TKTS) 

(Use a debit card, not a credit card)

(You don't have to be resident in Massachusetts)

The Current Jackpot:  $500,000 for Massachusetts Lottery's Megabucks Doubler

This would do nicely, thank you, I'm not greedy!

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #94283
                    July 17, 2010
                    2284 Posts
                    Posted: March 17, 2015, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

$25 million would tie me over pretty nicely. But $200 thousand would turn my life around fairly well too.

I need $350K to turn my life around fairly well. 

To be "comfortable"?  I guess $100K per year for living expenses and $75K for fun stuff would make me extremely "comfortable" so however much I'd need to invest to get $175K per year in after-tax returns would do very nicely.   I'm thinking that would be around 6 million?  I'm pretty sure you can invest in one of the tax-free thingys at 3%, that would get you $180K spendable every year. 

But I'd be happy with "comfortable enough" -- don't feel the need to clip 50 cent coupons, able to have dry aged steaks and a $50 bottle of wine every weekend, cable TV with all the pay channels I want, cleaning and landscaping every week, a new car every 5 years, a couple nice vacations per year.  For that I'd only need $75K per year after taxes.

Interesting to read thru this thread to see how everyone's idea of "comfortable" differs.  Some of the amounts boggle my mind at what people intend to spend money on to be comfortable.

SammyJoe10's avatar - disney37
                      Middle of Nowhere NC
                      United States
                      Member #151289
                      January 12, 2014
                      428 Posts
                      Posted: March 18, 2015, 9:30 am - IP Logged

Some lucky person from Oklahoma won $5 MILLION in last night's mega millions drawing. That is a life changing amount, even after taxes. Kudos to them for paying the extra buck for the Megaplier! Yes Nod

Ga
                        United States
                        Member #120454
                        December 20, 2011
                        141 Posts
                        Posted: March 21, 2015, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Bare minimum, I would say 3 million 500k for fun, new car, house etc. The other 2.5 mill invest at 6% get  150k a year. Put myself  on a budget of 100k. Roll rest back in investment pool.

Arizona
                          United States
                          Member #165073
                          March 24, 2015
                          220 Posts
                          Posted: March 24, 2015, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised at the numbers I'm seeing here. I've (presumably) got many years ahead of me, and my calculations put the number lower than most of the ones in this thread by at least a full order of magnitude.

$1M would not be enough to retire on at my age. Simple fact.

$2M would be enough to maintain my current standard of living, assuming my investments at least keep up with inflation.

$3M would be comfortable.

Anything more than that is gravy.

Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4111 Posts
                            Posted: March 24, 2015, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised at the numbers I'm seeing here. I've (presumably) got many years ahead of me, and my calculations put the number lower than most of the ones in this thread by at least a full order of magnitude.

$2M would be enough to maintain my current standard of living, assuming my investments at least keep up with inflation.

Why are you surprised at the numbers Murgatroyd- everyone is throwing in the Gravy.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3475 Posts
                              Posted: March 25, 2015, 1:41 am - IP Logged

You won't need to spend much time here to find that there are a lot of candidates to be the poster child for the "Lottery is for people who are bad at math" campaign. As in the thread about back to back numbers, there are a lot of people who think it's unlikely to see relatively commonplace things more than once a year, while thinking there's a good chance that their combination will be the winner.

Have you encountered any of the clowns who think a state that sells a couple of hundred thousand tickets for each drawing should produce winners as often as the states that routinely sell several million?