Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's your strategy?

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Hysteria.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
San Fran
United States
Member #150212
December 17, 2013
97 Posts
Posted: February 18, 2015, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

I'm curious to hear what other people around the country are doing when buying scratch tickets.  Lately I've been buying tickets in the stores 1 at a time and scanning them, if it's a loser I would just keep buying until I hit something and then move on to the next game until I run out of my allotted funds for that particular day.  This strategy paid off for a while but I've hit a lull and want to try something different.  CA is coming out with a new $20 ticket next week and I'm thinking of buying a whole book of a new game.

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
    Member #158848
    September 5, 2014
    294 Posts
    Posted: February 18, 2015, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I usually stick with $10 and $20 cards, but there is one excellent $5 card in my state that is worth playing. I typically buy ten of the same card at the same time if it's a $5 or a $10, but only five at a time if it's a $20. A lot of the big winners in my state have been won in small towns, so I buy my cards in a number of locales. I usually wait at least a week from the date of release before purchasing a new card.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

Jacksonville
      United States
      Member #153806
      March 26, 2014
      345 Posts
      Posted: February 18, 2015, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

My strategy is to buy more winners than losers.  Wink

I try to buy two consecutive $20 tickets at a time.  If I win, I stop.  If I lose, I stop.  This has prevented me from chasing.  Every one of by big wins ($500 or $1000) have come from just buying one ticket or two and being at the right place at the right time.  However, I have kind of broken my rule recently and its been costly.

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
        Member #158848
        September 5, 2014
        294 Posts
        Posted: February 18, 2015, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

My strategy is to buy more winners than losers.  Wink

I try to buy two consecutive $20 tickets at a time.  If I win, I stop.  If I lose, I stop.  This has prevented me from chasing.  Every one of by big wins ($500 or $1000) have come from just buying one ticket or two and being at the right place at the right time.  However, I have kind of broken my rule recently and its been costly.

My experience has been just the opposite from yours. All my big wins have come when I buy ten of a certain card at one time. I've never had a big winner when I only bought a couple cards at a time.

The legendary woman in Texas who hit four scratchers worth a million dollars or more, used to go in stores and buy cards by the entire roll.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

Lexington, SC
          United States
          Member #153877
          March 28, 2014
          80 Posts
          Posted: February 18, 2015, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

When it comes to scratchers for my state, I always look at the top prizes remaining list they post daily on their site before deciding which tickets I'm going to get.  If the game is still fairly new (even if a couple jackpots have already been claimed) I will buy 5 - 6 of the tickets depending on how much cash I'm willing to part with.  If a game has been sitting for a while (more than 6 months) I am leery of buying a ticket but I will occasionally if I feel a hunch.

I rarely buy entire packs of tickets unless I have the money to do so, such as I did earlier in the month with my tax return.  However, as I have won $500 on Pick 3 tickets and $1,000 on a scratch off ticket recently I do plan to go pick up a few packs of the new Million Dollar Series games that's coming out Tuesday.  While my ultimate goal is to hopefully get a ticket with a million dollars on it, my actual strategy is simply going in and getting the tickets on the day they come out and hope I hit a few tickets at the $500 and $1000 level since it's easier to score that type of prize when the game is new and hasn't been sitting for a bit.