Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many Mega Millions second tier winners in 2014?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 2 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
South Carolina
United States
Member #77167
July 15, 2009
556 Posts
Posted: February 28, 2015, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

The Powerball page shows 980 second tier/prize winners of a million or two million dollars for 2014.  Could not find info for Mega--does anyone know? 

SammyJoe10's avatar - disney37
    Middle of Nowhere NC
    United States
    Member #151289
    January 12, 2014
    428 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2015, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Sorry--I can't answer your question. Just wanted to congratulate the 980 second tier winners! Congrats to them. 2015 will be my year. I can feel it! Yes Nod

South Carolina
      United States
      Member #77167
      July 15, 2009
      556 Posts
      Posted: February 28, 2015, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

Sorry--I can't answer your question. Just wanted to congratulate the 980 second tier winners! Congrats to them. 2015 will be my year. I can feel it! Yes Nod

Hope it will be mine too--I'm chasing 5 white balls.Smile

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        Happyland
        United States
        Member #146344
        September 1, 2013
        1129 Posts
        Posted: February 28, 2015, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

980 winners out of 1.75 billion tickets sold. Not too shabby Roll Eyes

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
          Economy class
          Belgium
          Member #123700
          February 27, 2012
          4035 Posts
          Posted: February 28, 2015, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

The Powerball page shows 980 second tier/prize winners of a million or two million dollars for 2014.  Could not find info for Mega--does anyone know? 

what does mean second tier/prize winners?

second = 2nd
          tier = 1/3
          prize = payout or cost

South Carolina
            United States
            Member #77167
            July 15, 2009
            556 Posts
            Posted: February 28, 2015, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

what does mean second tier/prize winners?

second = 2nd
            tier = 1/3
            prize = payout or cost

1st prize is the jackpot

2nd prize is the million dollar win

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
              Member #91
              January 19, 2002
              11934 Posts
              Posted: March 1, 2015, 9:55 am - IP Logged

Not sure where you got your info,,,

I show 339 2nd tier winners in Powerball and 136 2nd tier winners for megamillions in 2014...

Now I may have missed a few but I doubt I missed 641 winners for powerball...

I also show that 56 of the 339 powerball winners played with the powerplay. 

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6290 Posts
                Posted: March 1, 2015, 10:21 am - IP Logged

I went to the Mega website and counted 167( including mega ply)second tier prizes. There were a lot of draws with no second tier winners. Also even when the jackpot was high over $300 million the most I counted was 5-7 second tier winners compared to powerball last big drawing that produced 33 second tier winners in one draw.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #77167
                  July 15, 2009
                  556 Posts
                  Posted: March 1, 2015, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Not sure where you got your info,,,

I show 339 2nd tier winners in Powerball and 136 2nd tier winners for megamillions in 2014...

Now I may have missed a few but I doubt I missed 641 winners for powerball...

I also show that 56 of the 339 powerball winners played with the powerplay. 

Got information from the powerball website faq section. 

Just checked it again-There were also 980 Match 5 winners (prizes of $1 million or $2 million). New Powerball has created 1,014 millionaires in its first two years. In total, New Powerball sold $11.2 billion. Half of that was paid out in prizes.

That figure was for the past TWO years--I apologize for the error.  That's an average of 490 per year.

For February 2015 there have been 71 winners. 

South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #77167
                    July 15, 2009
                    556 Posts
                    Posted: March 1, 2015, 11:50 am - IP Logged

I went to the Mega website and counted 167( including mega ply)second tier prizes. There were a lot of draws with no second tier winners. Also even when the jackpot was high over $300 million the most I counted was 5-7 second tier winners compared to powerball last big drawing that produced 33 second tier winners in one draw.

Thank you for you help.  I'm cutting down my lottery playing this year and wanted to confirm which would be the better game to focus on.  That would be Powerball.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                      Happyland
                      United States
                      Member #146344
                      September 1, 2013
                      1129 Posts
                      Posted: March 1, 2015, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

Got information from the powerball website faq section. 

Just checked it again-There were also 980 Match 5 winners (prizes of $1 million or $2 million). New Powerball has created 1,014 millionaires in its first two years. In total, New Powerball sold $11.2 billion. Half of that was paid out in prizes.

That figure was for the past TWO years--I apologize for the error.  That's an average of 490 per year.

For February 2015 there have been 71 winners. 

That figure was for the past TWO years--I apologize for the error. 

I suspected something was off when I did my 980/tickets sold calculation to see the empirical odds.

In that case it would be 980 winners out of 4.45 billion tickets sold.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Delaware
                        United States
                        Member #93503
                        July 1, 2010
                        453 Posts
                        Posted: March 2, 2015, 4:17 am - IP Logged

That figure was for the past TWO years--I apologize for the error. 

I suspected something was off when I did my 980/tickets sold calculation to see the empirical odds.

In that case it would be 980 winners out of 4.45 billion tickets sold.

So 1 ticket per 4,540,816 million sold.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                          Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #82391
                          November 12, 2009
                          6290 Posts
                          Posted: March 2, 2015, 9:31 am - IP Logged

Thank you for you help.  I'm cutting down my lottery playing this year and wanted to confirm which would be the better game to focus on.  That would be Powerball.

I agree Oklahoma has never had a Mega jackpot winner and since the Matrix change we have not had a second tier winner I believe our last second tier Mega winner was in 2012 when the jackpot was 640 million. People in Oklahoma play Powerball & Hot Lotto since we do not have a state lotto jackpot game if we did I would play that before I played the multi-state games.

I Love Pink & Green 1908