Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NC Scratch Offs... Anyone ever buy a Whole Book/Roll of tickets?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 2 years ago by FiveXChamps.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Jim777's avatar - e13dc2c8 9163-4600-9f1d-a2456b1f5cab_zpsmbkn

United States
Member #95537
August 12, 2010
54 Posts
Posted: March 4, 2015, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

I live in Boone NC and have played Scratch offs for about 5 years now... I've won a few nice wins over the years...

I'm curious if anyone in NC has bought a Whole Book of tickets at a time? If you have Experience doing this, what where your results?

From what I hear, the NC Books are $300 for the $1, $2, $3, $5, and $10 tickets but a $20 Book is $600...

I've noticed the Best Time to buy the NC Scratch offs is on the DAY the New Tickets come out because the First Wave of tickets seem to have a lot of High Dollar winners in there...

In NC the Books are sold as:

$1.00 tickets = 300 tickets in a book = $300

$2.00 tickets = 150 tickets in a book = $300

$3.00 tickets = 100 tickets in a book = $300

$5.00 tickets = 60 tickets in a book = $300

$10.00 tickets = 30 tickets in a book = $300

$20 Tickets = 30 tickets in a book = $600

Please correct me if I'm wrong with the above numbers...

I'm thinking about risking $300 and buying a book of $2 or $5 tickets on the New Release tickets that just came out on March 3rd 2015... I should get at least $100-$150 of that back so the down side is a $150 loss or around there...

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1704 Posts
    Posted: March 4, 2015, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

I live in Boone NC and have played Scratch offs for about 5 years now... I've won a few nice wins over the years...

I'm curious if anyone in NC has bought a Whole Book of tickets at a time? If you have Experience doing this, what where your results?

From what I hear, the NC Books are $300 for the $1, $2, $3, $5, and $10 tickets but a $20 Book is $600...

I've noticed the Best Time to buy the NC Scratch offs is on the DAY the New Tickets come out because the First Wave of tickets seem to have a lot of High Dollar winners in there...

I'm thinking about risking $300 and buying a book of $2 or $5 tickets on the New Release tickets that just came out on March 3rd 2015... I should get at least $100-$150 of that back so the down side is a $150 loss or around there...

Just Curious, what is your day job, that you can afford to spend $300 - $600, for a roll of scratchers  ???  If you think you won't even break even, then why bother ???   The whole point of taking this kind of risk, is to WINScratcher Jackpot.

FiveXChamps's avatar - Lottery-003.jpg
      High Point, NC
      United States
      Member #133621
      October 4, 2012
      58 Posts
      Posted: March 5, 2015, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Jim,

I play in High Point. I don't advise buying rolls. Sure you can get lucky but I haven't had any success doing it. I would however advise you take the $300 and work a specific card at as many locations as you can. I like working different rolls and have had my biggest success this way. Either way, best of luck to you.

JAMORA's avatar - ladyclover
        NC
        United States
        Member #164399
        February 28, 2015
        1938 Posts
        Posted: March 5, 2015, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

I agree with this.....my fiance and I have better luck buying 2 tickets off as many different rolls as funds allow....(or 4 $2 tix)

When we bought rolls, we rarely got anything more than $150 back and often less....

aquar's avatar - Lottery-052.jpg
          Charlotte NC
          United States
          Member #115306
          August 17, 2011
          746 Posts
          Posted: March 5, 2015, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Don't do it I've bought both and lost money. it's best to take the $300 or $600 buy a bunch of tickets at different stores 5 or 10 here and there.

Jim777's avatar - e13dc2c8 9163-4600-9f1d-a2456b1f5cab_zpsmbkn

United States
            Member #95537
            August 12, 2010
            54 Posts
            Posted: March 5, 2015, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Just Curious, what is your day job, that you can afford to spend $300 - $600, for a roll of scratchers  ???  If you think you won't even break even, then why bother ???   The whole point of taking this kind of risk, is to WINScratcher Jackpot.

Valid Question... I can't say where I work here but I will say I hold a good paying full time job in Boone that I've held for over 12 years and the wife and I have no kids, both of our cars are paid for with cash, house nearly paid off, no credit card debt or other debt for that matter other than the mortgage. etc.

I have never spent $300 on a book of Scratch Offs. Just toying with the idea... It's a Lot of money but I've always wanted to buy a whole book at one time because I Enjoy the act of scratching each ticket, seeing the results, etc. Sort of a hobby...

I usually spend only $20 at a time when I buy Scratch Offs... Sometimes I buy One $20 ticket, Sometimes I buy several $2, $3, or $5 tickets. I have won $500 once, and $100 several times along with many lower amounts over the 5 years I've been playing the Scratch offs in NC.

I have extra money that I use to "invest" in the possibility of winning a Big Win playing Scratch offs and the $$$ that I spend on Scratch Offs are going towards NC Education so it's more like a charitable gift to NC's Education System when I lose the $$$$.

Besides, You can't WIN the Lottery if you never PLAY the Lottery...

Atlanta
              United States
              Member #164138
              February 19, 2015
              26 Posts
              Posted: March 5, 2015, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

Mate, it's one of those things where if you want to do it... no one is going to be able to talk you out of it.

Like others have said, it rarely pays off. Depending on your state you get back about 40-50% of the cost of the roll.

I was like you and wanted to buy a roll, just to know that I had, and see what it was like.

That said, now that I have done it and the novelty wore off, I would never buy a roll again.

PA
                United States
                Member #129849
                June 29, 2012
                308 Posts
                Posted: March 6, 2015, 10:38 am - IP Logged

What it all boils down too is how much can/will you be willing to risk?

Some players scoff at buying rolls, yet purchase multiple $20 tickets on 

an almost daily basis. Often times, they justify it by stating that they are

playing from different packs. Newsflash... the odds are all the same for each

pack of tickets within reason.

The mathematics factor in in terms of winners claimed vs tickets sold, but honestly

each pack has the same odds of winning. So buying an entire pack or buying the equivalent

of an entire pack from different rolls is the exact same thing.

The main thing is that usually the ROI is on average 50% or less. Are you willing to spin that wheel

knowing that the average person will lose half the money they wager? That roll could have a 10K in it,

or it could have a few crappy break evens for a big loss. Buying a roll or different tickets from different stores

doesn't change the chances of either happening. Some players have had better luck doing it one way or the

other, but in reality it's a wash.

I think at some point in my scratching career, I'd like to try a  roll of tickets myself, but I'd probably not go for a $600 roll.I think if I were to do it,

I'd have to go with a roll of $5 tickets that particularly interested me, and only if I could get it the first day.

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
                  North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #59855
                  March 29, 2008
                  31541 Posts
                  Posted: March 6, 2015, 10:46 am - IP Logged

Don't do it I've bought both and lost money. it's best to take the $300 or $600 buy a bunch of tickets at different stores 5 or 10 here and there.

I agree with you Aquar...a few years ago I met someone who said she won $1000 on a card when she bought a whole roll so I decided to buy a roll for myself as (a Christmas gift) of $10 ones & I paid $300 & won exactly half that of $150 & I said I'd never do that again & I haven't....some Christmas gift...lost half of my money!...$150 is a lot to lose to me!

South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #18322
                    July 9, 2005
                    1704 Posts
                    Posted: March 6, 2015, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

Valid Question... I can't say where I work here but I will say I hold a good paying full time job in Boone that I've held for over 12 years and the wife and I have no kids, both of our cars are paid for with cash, house nearly paid off, no credit card debt or other debt for that matter other than the mortgage. etc.

I have never spent $300 on a book of Scratch Offs. Just toying with the idea... It's a Lot of money but I've always wanted to buy a whole book at one time because I Enjoy the act of scratching each ticket, seeing the results, etc. Sort of a hobby...

I usually spend only $20 at a time when I buy Scratch Offs... Sometimes I buy One $20 ticket, Sometimes I buy several $2, $3, or $5 tickets. I have won $500 once, and $100 several times along with many lower amounts over the 5 years I've been playing the Scratch offs in NC.

I have extra money that I use to "invest" in the possibility of winning a Big Win playing Scratch offs and the $$$ that I spend on Scratch Offs are going towards NC Education so it's more like a charitable gift to NC's Education System when I lose the $$$$.

You seem to be financially secure enough already, so why bother to waste money on a roll of scratchers, chasing the illusive Jackpot ticket  ???  Focus on being happy enough, with your present level of financial security.  Remember - GRATITUDE !!!

FiveXChamps's avatar - Lottery-003.jpg
                      High Point, NC
                      United States
                      Member #133621
                      October 4, 2012
                      58 Posts
                      Posted: March 6, 2015, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

After reading your post Jim, I think you should go ahead and give it a try and enjoy yourself as life is short. Consider this though, the $10 5000$ a week for life card is ripe to pay out that last prize any time now. I think it is going to hit within 30 days. Its the only card left without a bar code and the lottery is pushing it hard on its lucky zone website. It will pay out as it is a 'core' card and will be reprinted. With that said, go into knowing you ROI is probably going to be $115 to $125. It's a top loaded card with not much to offer on low level prizes. Odds on a $100 are one in three rolls so you might get one of those to bump that total up. It has a guaranteed payout of 5.2 million and the lump is 3.5 million. It's the richest card the NCEL offers. It beats out any of the 4 $20 cards in terms of payout. A true life changer awaits someone and Boone sounds like a good place for it to hit to me. I love the $2500 a week 5$ card but it just paid out a top prize. Come this fall, it will hit again though so keep up with that one too. Good luck to you Jim.