Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball powerplay

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 2 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
DetroitLionBoy's avatar - Detroit01

United States
Member #159085
September 12, 2014
113 Posts
Posted: March 5, 2015, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone used the powerplay feature on powerball? If so do have some better luck on that than without that feature? Overall thoughts on the powerplay on powerball or on mega would be helpful

Cash 4 life 3/5 numbers= $25 (9/1/14)
TAKE 5 4/5 numbers= $775.00 (2/21/15)

im bound to win the jackpot!!  Cool

United States
    Member #161539
    December 3, 2014
    328 Posts
    Posted: March 5, 2015, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone used the powerplay feature on powerball? If so do have some better luck on that than without that feature? Overall thoughts on the powerplay on powerball or on mega would be helpful

Too many "2s"come out ... I'm just guessing but it seems like 98% of the Power Play numbers are number 2 ...

MegaMillions is starting to look like that also ... there are supposed to be more 5s than 2s but the 5s seem to be scarce these days ... I have been wondering if they have quietly removed some 5s from the mix and added more 2s and 3s.

There was a string of five or six 5s that came out and then it looks like something changed ... perhaps the states complained with low ticket sales but having to pay more money with the 5s showing up. A number matrix change would have to be published but I don't know about changing just the Megaplier numbers.

No proof ... just an observation on my part ...

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5761 Posts
      Posted: March 5, 2015, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

I have played powerplay on occasion, but I don't anymore. It doesn't change your chances of winning anything, just increases your prize amount. In PB the 2 is designed to come up more often than the other powerplay numbers. That's one reason why I don't play it, along with the fact playing it increases ticket cost to $3.

Now on MM, I always megaply. The cost goes to $2 which is reasonable. I would be very happy to win second prize of 2,3,4, or 5 million. The five is designed to play more than the other megaply numbers, and they explain the odds and frequency on the MM website (or maybe it's on Texas Lottery's website, can't remember).

One other thing about PB's powerplay is that no matter what the powerplay number is, second prize is always 2 million. That sucks. On MM you can win 2- 5 million depending on the number. For a dollar less.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

DetroitLionBoy's avatar - Detroit01

United States
        Member #159085
        September 12, 2014
        113 Posts
        Posted: March 5, 2015, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

I have played powerplay on occasion, but I don't anymore. It doesn't change your chances of winning anything, just increases your prize amount. In PB the 2 is designed to come up more often than the other powerplay numbers. That's one reason why I don't play it, along with the fact playing it increases ticket cost to $3.

Now on MM, I always megaply. The cost goes to $2 which is reasonable. I would be very happy to win second prize of 2,3,4, or 5 million. The five is designed to play more than the other megaply numbers, and they explain the odds and frequency on the MM website (or maybe it's on Texas Lottery's website, can't remember).

One other thing about PB's powerplay is that no matter what the powerplay number is, second prize is always 2 million. That sucks. On MM you can win 2- 5 million depending on the number. For a dollar less.

so its better on the mega is what im reading at. if i get just the mega ball which would be a dollar but if i get the powerball its 4 dollars. powerball costs more but the risk is there thats why i would ask this question lol. i never played the powerup option so im wondering if playing this would be good

Cash 4 life 3/5 numbers= $25 (9/1/14)
        TAKE 5 4/5 numbers= $775.00 (2/21/15)

im bound to win the jackpot!!  Cool

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
          Lavender Rocket

United States
          Member #124616
          March 16, 2012
          2642 Posts
          Posted: March 5, 2015, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you - especially about the 2nd prize being capped at 2M$.  I much prefer it being variable like MM has (2-5M$).

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
            NY State
            United States
            Member #92609
            June 10, 2010
            3817 Posts
            Posted: March 5, 2015, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you - especially about the 2nd prize being capped at 2M$.  I much prefer it being variable like MM has (2-5M$).

People who don't buy the PowerPlay or The Megaplier are crazy if you ask me.

Here's why;

A guy in Sullivan County in upstate New York went into a deli and ordered a MM Quick Pick.  The woman behind the counter accidentally punched in the Megaplier and handed the ticket to the guy and said "2 dollars".   The guy refused the ticket, so the woman punched up another QP for a dollar, which the man bought and left the deli.

Instead of cancelling the ticket, the woman (she owns the deli) bought the MM QP with her own 2 dollars.

She hit five numbers, which used to be good for $250,000, but because she had the Megaplier, she won a cool million. (this happened prior to the recent changes)

Turns out the guy lived right down the street from the deli.  Would YOU like to be him?  How'd you like to go past that deli every day knowing there's a woman inside of it that has what should have been YOUR million dollars????

There's two lessons to be learned here.  First, NEVER refuse the clerk's mistake, and second buy the PowerPlay or the Megaplier.  How'd you like to win a million dollars by having 5 numbers and then find out for one dollar more you could have had 2 million??  Yeah, you'd be happy for winning one million, but finding out you could have had a million more had you just spent one more crummy dollar will sure burst your bubble quickly.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
              Lavender Rocket

United States
              Member #124616
              March 16, 2012
              2642 Posts
              Posted: March 6, 2015, 2:03 am - IP Logged

People who don't buy the PowerPlay or The Megaplier are crazy if you ask me.

Here's why;

A guy in Sullivan County in upstate New York went into a deli and ordered a MM Quick Pick.  The woman behind the counter accidentally punched in the Megaplier and handed the ticket to the guy and said "2 dollars".   The guy refused the ticket, so the woman punched up another QP for a dollar, which the man bought and left the deli.

Instead of cancelling the ticket, the woman (she owns the deli) bought the MM QP with her own 2 dollars.

She hit five numbers, which used to be good for $250,000, but because she had the Megaplier, she won a cool million. (this happened prior to the recent changes)

Turns out the guy lived right down the street from the deli.  Would YOU like to be him?  How'd you like to go past that deli every day knowing there's a woman inside of it that has what should have been YOUR million dollars????

There's two lessons to be learned here.  First, NEVER refuse the clerk's mistake, and second buy the PowerPlay or the Megaplier.  How'd you like to win a million dollars by having 5 numbers and then find out for one dollar more you could have had 2 million??  Yeah, you'd be happy for winning one million, but finding out you could have had a million more had you just spent one more crummy dollar will sure burst your bubble quickly.

I concur with part - in that I always purchase any mistakes that the clerks make.  I look at it that regardless, the clerk was punching up a ticket for me, so I need to pay for it, and then I get the ticket I was looking to get after that transaction is done. 

However, I do not purchase pp for PB, just cannot bring me to pay 1$ extra on a 2$ base ticket.  I play for the win so - in that case, I would console myself with the 1M$ pre tax.  Somehow I am certain that I would get by.

That said, I do play the 2$ ticket on MM on occasion, as I see it that I am only paying what I already pay for the other game.  Make sense?  no of course not.  but that is what I do.

To each - their own.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                NY State
                United States
                Member #92609
                June 10, 2010
                3817 Posts
                Posted: March 6, 2015, 4:01 am - IP Logged

I concur with part - in that I always purchase any mistakes that the clerks make.  I look at it that regardless, the clerk was punching up a ticket for me, so I need to pay for it, and then I get the ticket I was looking to get after that transaction is done. 

However, I do not purchase pp for PB, just cannot bring me to pay 1$ extra on a 2$ base ticket.  I play for the win so - in that case, I would console myself with the 1M$ pre tax.  Somehow I am certain that I would get by.

That said, I do play the 2$ ticket on MM on occasion, as I see it that I am only paying what I already pay for the other game.  Make sense?  no of course not.  but that is what I do.

To each - their own.

Yes, players playing for the Jackpot win in PB should think twice about spending an extra buck on the PowerPlay. 

As for me, when I play PB, it's usually in a pool that I run at work.  Depending upon how much money I collect  determines if I buy the PowerPlay.  (The total amount of money I collect has to be divisible by 3 with no remainder.  For instance if I collect a total of 36 bucks because 18 people are in the pool, I buy 12 lines with the PP as opposed to buying 18 lines without it.)

There have been times when I've bought PB on my own, independent of the pool at work. When I've done that, I do buy the PowerPlay because I'm really playing for second place.  Of course I'd take a jackpot win, but it's really second place that I'm after.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

mrbg's avatar - NofVcy
                  Nashville,TN
                  United States
                  Member #79101
                  August 26, 2009
                  11216 Posts
                  Posted: March 7, 2015, 7:00 am - IP Logged

Yes, players playing for the Jackpot win in PB should think twice about spending an extra buck on the PowerPlay. 

As for me, when I play PB, it's usually in a pool that I run at work.  Depending upon how much money I collect  determines if I buy the PowerPlay.  (The total amount of money I collect has to be divisible by 3 with no remainder.  For instance if I collect a total of 36 bucks because 18 people are in the pool, I buy 12 lines with the PP as opposed to buying 18 lines without it.)

There have been times when I've bought PB on my own, independent of the pool at work. When I've done that, I do buy the PowerPlay because I'm really playing for second place.  Of course I'd take a jackpot win, but it's really second place that I'm after.

I usually drop that extra buck.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                    TX
                    United States
                    Member #121193
                    January 4, 2012
                    1637 Posts
                    Posted: March 7, 2015, 7:30 am - IP Logged

Naughty Not a "power play participant" nor do I allow the "megaplier mauling my money".   

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

United States
                      Member #143211
                      May 27, 2013
                      2019 Posts
                      Posted: March 7, 2015, 9:50 am - IP Logged

I go for the extra dollar, I do agree with you it would eat at me for being so stupid .

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4974 Posts
                        Posted: March 7, 2015, 10:52 am - IP Logged

I rarely play MM and do play PB more often than not... but always spend the extra $1 for both. It would drive me crazy if I won and left that $ on the table.

J'aime La France.

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
                          Member #158848
                          September 5, 2014
                          294 Posts
                          Posted: March 8, 2015, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!  I'm not going to pay $3 for a powerplay either, when you can't win more than 2X. Like you, I will pay two bucks for a megaplier ticket though.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                            Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6305 Posts
                            Posted: March 9, 2015, 9:32 am - IP Logged

I do play the powerplay options  Big Grin

I Love Pink & Green 1908

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19901 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2015, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

I don't use the powerplay or megaplier option but if did it would probably be the megaplier because you have to win something before it counts and MegaMillions has the best overall odds of winning something.  Admittedly if I won something playing PowerBall the prize would be much greater but I'm not a gambler. Wink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking