Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Euromillions

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 2 years ago by MaximumMillions.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
London
United Kingdom
Member #148675
November 8, 2013
54 Posts
Posted: March 7, 2015, 7:40 am - IP Logged

Hi folks,

I have a question regarding the Euromillions Lottery. My question is how can Spain with a population 44million have more winners compared to UK with a population of 64million? Everytime I check where the Jackpot was won it's mostly France where the draw takes place and Portugal who are overtaking us soon. According to Wikipedia France have 90 Jackpot winners Spain 80 , UK 69 , Portugal 61 since 2004 ....The other countries are Switzerland where I'm originally from, Belgium, Austria Luxembourg ,Ireland..

I'm not jealous just found it odd :) 

Many thank in Advice.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5595 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2015, 8:17 am - IP Logged

Hi folks,

I have a question regarding the Euromillions Lottery. My question is how can Spain with a population 44million have more winners compared to UK with a population of 64million? Everytime I check where the Jackpot was won it's mostly France where the draw takes place and Portugal who are overtaking us soon. According to Wikipedia France have 90 Jackpot winners Spain 80 , UK 69 , Portugal 61 since 2004 ....The other countries are Switzerland where I'm originally from, Belgium, Austria Luxembourg ,Ireland..

I'm not jealous just found it odd :) 

Many thank in Advice.

More than likely the most winners come from where the most tickets are sold. Here in the US, CA, NY, PA have the majority of jackpot winners because they sell more tickets (and they have higher populations). But also, sometimes, it's just the way random is. Higher populations does not always equate to higher ticket sales. If Spain sells more tickets, Spain will usually have more jackpot winners.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
      TX
      United States
      Member #121193
      January 4, 2012
      1637 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2015, 8:34 am - IP Logged

While I don't follow the Euro lottery Jordi, rcbbuckeye is probably correct with his input. Texas has a pretty big population but PB and MM sales aren't like the other states and we don't produce any where near the numbers of winners either.  Nice bit of information though..thanks

London
        United Kingdom
        Member #148675
        November 8, 2013
        54 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2015, 8:57 am - IP Logged

Thanks you're probably right. I was just a bit disappointed as there was a super draw yesterday  and it was won again in Portugal :( I won't give up it will come my way one day :)

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
          Member #164603
          March 8, 2015
          605 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2015, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Also take into account that Spain and France are major tourism destinations, more so than the UK. Maybe that also results in higher sales.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
            Economy class
            Belgium
            Member #123700
            February 27, 2012
            4035 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2015, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Maybe Germans and others are playing in Spain.

You would be a fool to play by Internet through Lotter or alike, instead of getting the tickets to real prices.

If you play it, my website has a page for the game, http://emuis.be/euromillions. In the future will be added the combinations, and the other page euro-millions will be behind on me. I have more plans for the next months, so if people really are interested, they will get info.

London
              United Kingdom
              Member #148675
              November 8, 2013
              54 Posts
              Posted: March 8, 2015, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

As far as I know you need to live in one of the 9 participating countries and come up with a proof of address if you are winner. There's basically no chance for the other countries unless you have a second resident there.

Germany
                Member #164603
                March 8, 2015
                605 Posts
                Posted: March 8, 2015, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

As far as I know you need to live in one of the 9 participating countries and come up with a proof of address if you are winner. There's basically no chance for the other countries unless you have a second resident there.

That's not true, non-residents have won in the past.

Also in the case of EU non-residents whose countries don't participate in the Euromillions they would not be allowed to decline payment because that would put EU citizens of other nations in the position of arbitrarily being treated differently which would be illegal.

Years before the Euromillions started (and now still)people from countries bordering Germany would travel over the border to buy their tickets in Germany as the jackpots were always higher.

For example you could play polish lotto and win 200 000€ or travel to Germany and win 46 000 000 €.

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
                  Member #158848
                  September 5, 2014
                  294 Posts
                  Posted: March 8, 2015, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

I don't see anything out of the ordinary here. 69 jackpot winners and third on the all time win list isn't bad at all. I'm guessing the Spanish and Portugese are probably more avid lottery players on average than the Brits.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

London
                    United Kingdom
                    Member #148675
                    November 8, 2013
                    54 Posts
                    Posted: March 9, 2015, 5:45 am - IP Logged

That might be the case for the German or Polish lottery but not Euromillions. I have checked it a few times now unless you want to gamble with a online lottery concierge who will claim your winnings..I personally wouldn't trust them...

Germany
                      Member #164603
                      March 8, 2015
                      605 Posts
                      Posted: March 9, 2015, 9:52 am - IP Logged

That might be the case for the German or Polish lottery but not Euromillions. I have checked it a few times now unless you want to gamble with a online lottery concierge who will claim your winnings..I personally wouldn't trust them...

Their t&c only say you have to be physically in the UK to buy your tickets.

For the subscription you have to be resident.

I'd gladly sue them to make it clear once I win.Cheers