Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If the person before you won on a ticket you were going to buy next, would you still buy one?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 2 years ago by goherd14.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Atlanta
United States
Member #164138
February 19, 2015
26 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2015, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

I only have a few games that I like to play right now, all $20 scratchers.

The person in front of me had just won $30 off the game I was going to play. He put it back into the machine and bought a different ticket.

I'm not sure how many he bought and which one was the winner, but I decided to not buy the next ticket.

What would you do?

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1704 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2015, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

The person in front of me had just won $30 off the game I was going to play. He put it back into the machine and bought a different ticket.

I'm not sure how many he bought and which one was the winner, but I decided to not buy the next ticket.

What would you do?

I was just in a store today, and the person in front of me had purchased and WON on 3 of the same $5.00 scratchers, back to back, in a row.  The store clerk advised me NOT to purchase that same $5.00 scratcher, b/c it had already hit 3 times in a row, which she said is a RARE occurrence, thus implying that the next ticket would probably be a $5.00 losing ticket.  I followed her advice. Who knows what would have happened, though ???

Mamma28z's avatar - phone
      Lower MI
      United States
      Member #94546
      July 22, 2010
      247 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2015, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

I got 4 in a row winners on a $5 ticket.

Anything is possible !

Yes I would buy ...

south el monte
        United States
        Member #154982
        May 4, 2014
        64 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2015, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

i wouldnt .... ive won on 3 in a row before and quite frequently on two in a rows. 

at two shops im a regular at the cashiers let me know which tickets of significance they have sold (obviously if they buy it and cash it in right away)

had two 1000 winners in the same day last week. one on 2$ season greetings and one on 20Jmp at the shop i frequent . the lady told me dont buy from those rolls.

New York
          United States
          Member #157288
          July 14, 2014
          170 Posts
          Posted: March 16, 2015, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

For me it would depend on the overall odds and how many remaining tickets there are. Who knows it could be a 'hot' book.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #74096
            May 2, 2009
            22860 Posts
            Posted: March 17, 2015, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

What would you do?

I'd choose another if you're talking about $20's although I've read here that back to backs can happen.

If you have to ask, then it seems you don't want to run the risk of wasting money so just choose

another bin. You'll never know.

I've had back to backs on $5's and $10's already...today I had 3 winners in a row on our crummy $5 Sizzlin 7's game.

One was $50, another was $20 and the last was $5...$75 right there so as far as smaller tickets go, I don't hesitate to

buy 4 in a row. The $20's I don't do that. I get one and am done. The $30's same thing. If I see someone wins $100

on a $20 I don't buy it. If they win $20 on a $20 or $30 on a $30 I might try it but there are usually 4 to 5 more to

choose from.

It's out there somewhere, I hope you find a jackpot. Gl!

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
              Member #6363
              August 20, 2004
              4052 Posts
              Posted: March 17, 2015, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

I personally don't play the Scratcher games. But last year I decided to buy my niece eight $1 scratchers (all the same) for her birthday. One to represent each year of her life. I just figured she would enjoy all the scratching, and it would be something new for her since she had never been around them before. I was hoping she would get a buck or two to make it fun for her, and she could put any winnings in her piggy bank. We told her how it worked and let her go at it. She scratched the first one and said, I won!, sure enough she had won a couple bucks on the very first one. Success, she had won and she was having fun. I started speaking to her mother about something when we hear her say, I won again! Sure enough she had another winner. Her mother and I was continuing our conversation when she yells out she had just won for the 3rd time. I was like what is going on.... by the time she gets done scratching all eight tickets, 5 of them had won for a total of $47 dollars. I spent the rest of the evening telling her that you almost always lose when you play the lottery, in fear I had just created another gambler in the family. lol

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                Marquette, MI
                United States
                Member #20541
                August 20, 2005
                705 Posts
                Posted: March 19, 2015, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

If I knew it was a hot pack I would buy and try but if I didn't know then I'd pick a different pack to buy from.

Years ago I bought two $5 tickets.  One hit for $75 and the next one hit for $100. 

The clerk told the guy who came in after me what happened and the guy bought tickets from a different pack  and I believe he lost.

Moral - If you knew which tickets were gonna win you wouldn't buy the losers would you?

ozone park
                  United States
                  Member #57042
                  December 15, 2007
                  274 Posts
                  Posted: April 3, 2015, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I have played where there were 3 winning tickets in a row. The algorithm is so complicated that you will never be able to figure out if the next ticket will win or not.

Lexington, SC
                    United States
                    Member #153877
                    March 28, 2014
                    79 Posts
                    Posted: April 12, 2015, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

It would depend on the amount the person won.  If it was a small nominal amount then most likely I would.  It's rare but I won on back-to-back-to-back once on 3 ($10) tickets I've purchased so there's no telling what the next ticket might bring although there's a good chance that next ticket will be a loser.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                      Jacksonville Florida
                      United States
                      Member #23018
                      October 6, 2005
                      915 Posts
                      Posted: April 13, 2015, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

Last year, I went in to a familiar convenience store to cash a Florida Lotto/xtra 3-number winner for $25 and play a few Fantasy 5 numbers. The person before me in line bought a $20 Gold Rush ticket and scratched it to the right of the counter. I was going to buy a $20 Gold Rush ticket anyway since I had won $25 on the Lotto ticket and told the clerk I wanted one. The guy just finished scratching his Gold Rush ticket and commented I might want to consider another game ticket instead because he won something on Gold Rush (never did find out how much, probably $20 to $100 from the way he acted).

I bought the next Gold Rush ticket anyway and scratched it later...it was a $100,000 winner.

So, buying the next ticket after someone won something paid off. Also, had I not won $25 on the Lotto ticket, I probably would not have bought that Gold Rush ticket as I usually do not buy $20 or higher tickets. Luck and the right place at the right time...

FiveXChamps's avatar - Lottery-003.jpg
                        High Point, NC
                        United States
                        Member #133621
                        October 4, 2012
                        58 Posts
                        Posted: April 13, 2015, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

Big money always shows up after after a regular winner has paid off. Don't let that stop you.

Douglasville, GA
                          United States
                          Member #126604
                          April 12, 2012
                          868 Posts
                          Posted: April 13, 2015, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Duckman's comment is the only one you should listen to! Lol! In addition i have hit many times on the first ticket out so i wonder if someone had hit on the ticket before and left. I have also more than once hit $40 on a $30 ticket and played the next and won $500. Also Skeptic hit on a pack of tickets in Florida that had back to back $500 winners.  So if you had your mind set on playing it just buy it and see what happens!