Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Whats the correct way to redeem an out of state scratch off?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 2 years ago by LottoMomma.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
Michigan
United States
Member #100025
November 4, 2010
158 Posts
Posted: March 19, 2015, 2:03 am - IP Logged

Hello Fellow Posters..

I have a scratch off ticket from out of state that is a significant win.  Only I can't go to the state to cash it.. cost prohibitive, so you know it's not that big but worth cashing!  I understand I can mail it in.   But, I am unsure whether to insure it. The lottery office says to send it certified with signature confirmation, which would also include tracking. Make copies of the ticket and the DL and send in with their form which includes SS# info, etc.

They say they get tickets in the mail everyday but the couple of gals I talked to cannot say that they recall if they are insured or not,  because a mail person for the lottery place goes to the PO to collect the mail and signs for any there, since the tickets get sent to a PO box as opposed to the physical  address if you were to go there.

Gonna cost alot to insure and send.. versus just $5 to send certified mail.  Do you think I have to worry about insuring when dealing with the PO?  Do you think anyone steals envelopes that say they are going to the lottery commission? LOL 

Sad things is, I don't know how much I trust their insurance policy. I insured and sent a bracelet once and they lost it and I never did get reimbursed even though I had a receipt and that was only $20. They would certainly squawk at something bigger I am sure. 

And I read somewhere that Fed EX does not insure documents being sent? Not sure if PO has same policy and don't want to go looking for trouble or raising a flag to the ticket in the envelope by asking?  Does making copies of it still help me in still getting paid.. since pic is of actual ticket with bar code.. ticket/game number etc.?

Any thoughts would be most helpful.. I a kinda in a quandry.  For sake of worry I am thinking of just insuring to be safe.. but curious if anyone has been in this position before.  I know I am probably being paranoid.

Need some input. 

Thanks

LM

See Ya!

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #77167
    July 15, 2009
    556 Posts
    Posted: March 19, 2015, 6:41 am - IP Logged

Hi LM, I've sent tickets to two other states by certified mail-no insurance--and didn't have a problem.  Congrats on your win.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #129225
      June 13, 2012
      546 Posts
      Posted: March 19, 2015, 7:10 am - IP Logged

I won on a scratch off last year in Florida.  I mailed it certified and I had a check back in the mail about three weeks later.  Congratulations!

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: March 19, 2015, 11:36 am - IP Logged

I won $100 from PA Lottery. Mailed it using regular mail and got a check a few weeks later. It cost me 44¢ only.

That money's gone fo ever

cbr$'s avatar - maren
          Cordova,Al.
          United States
          Member #104482
          January 15, 2011
          4926 Posts
          Posted: March 19, 2015, 11:52 am - IP Logged

If you go to that state web site. follow their rule to the letter, I have return lottery ticket  by mail before include scratch tickets. GA. asked for your own copy, copy of DL, and want you to sent it by certified mail. It depend on the state, what real need to get them cash your check come back in hardly no time at all. Right now I have some winners scratch off tickets that need to go back to S.Carolina. Hopefully they to will be quick as well in sending the check. Congratulation on your win.

South Carolina
            United States
            Member #18322
            July 9, 2005
            1706 Posts
            Posted: March 19, 2015, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Hello Fellow Posters..

I have a scratch off ticket from out of state that is a significant win.  Only I can't go to the state to cash it.. cost prohibitive, so you know it's not that big but worth cashing!  I understand I can mail it in.   But, I am unsure whether to insure it. The lottery office says to send it certified with signature confirmation, which would also include tracking. Make copies of the ticket and the DL and send in with their form which includes SS# info, etc.

They say they get tickets in the mail everyday but the couple of gals I talked to cannot say that they recall if they are insured or not,  because a mail person for the lottery place goes to the PO to collect the mail and signs for any there, since the tickets get sent to a PO box as opposed to the physical  address if you were to go there.

Gonna cost alot to insure and send.. versus just $5 to send certified mail.  Do you think I have to worry about insuring when dealing with the PO?  Do you think anyone steals envelopes that say they are going to the lottery commission? LOL 

Sad things is, I don't know how much I trust their insurance policy. I insured and sent a bracelet once and they lost it and I never did get reimbursed even though I had a receipt and that was only $20. They would certainly squawk at something bigger I am sure. 

And I read somewhere that Fed EX does not insure documents being sent? Not sure if PO has same policy and don't want to go looking for trouble or raising a flag to the ticket in the envelope by asking?  Does making copies of it still help me in still getting paid.. since pic is of actual ticket with bar code.. ticket/game number etc.?

Any thoughts would be most helpful.. I a kinda in a quandry.  For sake of worry I am thinking of just insuring to be safe.. but curious if anyone has been in this position before.  I know I am probably being paranoid.

Need some input. 

Thanks

LM

See Ya!

Just Curious, you're from Michigan, what state is the winning scratch off ticket from ???

Think's avatar - lightbulb
              Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              705 Posts
              Posted: March 19, 2015, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

I had a $7 PB winner from a Powerball run to Indiana once and I mailed it in.  They sent me a check in first class mail but they did NOT seal the
              envelope.

Knowing the Indiana lottery they probably did that so the check had a better chance of either getting lost or getting torn up in the postal equipment.  ( I am sure you know the famous story about the Indiana Lottery and the scratcher win ).

Michigan
                United States
                Member #100025
                November 4, 2010
                158 Posts
                Posted: March 20, 2015, 4:19 am - IP Logged

I had a $7 PB winner from a Powerball run to Indiana once and I mailed it in.  They sent me a check in first class mail but they did NOT seal the
                envelope.

Knowing the Indiana lottery they probably did that so the check had a better chance of either getting lost or getting torn up in the postal equipment.  ( I am sure you know the famous story about the Indiana Lottery and the scratcher win ).

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post responses to my question.  You make me feel much better about sending my ticket in. I will of course send it certified. 

But, no I don't know the FAMOUS story about the IN lottery and the scratcher win.  Should I hear this story before I mail my ticket?  Enlighten me Think! LOL

And thanks for the congrats...

LM

See Ya!

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                  Marquette, MI
                  United States
                  Member #20541
                  August 20, 2005
                  705 Posts
                  Posted: March 20, 2015, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post responses to my question.  You make me feel much better about sending my ticket in. I will of course send it certified. 

But, no I don't know the FAMOUS story about the IN lottery and the scratcher win.  Should I hear this story before I mail my ticket?  Enlighten me Think! LOL

And thanks for the congrats...

LM

See Ya!

No, it was just a comment on Indiana lottery security. 

Somebody with their security told a buddy where to buy a winning scratcher and the guy bought it and won but word got out about the inside job.

Todd posted it in the news when it happened and it has been discussed numerous times on the forums.

Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #100025
                    November 4, 2010
                    158 Posts
                    Posted: March 22, 2015, 5:10 am - IP Logged

Well, interesting thing I found out. You CAN'T insure lottery tickets you send through the mail with the postal service. If you read under their fine print it is one of the many exception items along with sweepstakes, raffle tickets and the like.. live animals that die including baby chicks and bees and such.

So, you just have to rely on the good graces of the mail system of it arriving safe and sound. Probably best way to go is priority mail if there is any doubt and especially if any kind of distance is involved just for good measure and if you want to be able to sleep at night.  Smile

Well, just the update. I'll keep you posted once I know it has arrived safe and sound as it is being tracked as well!

LM

See Ya!

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                      Columbus, Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #128906
                      June 5, 2012
                      592 Posts
                      Posted: March 22, 2015, 8:42 am - IP Logged

Congrats on the hit... Do you know anyone in the state?  Will you be in the state again before the ticket expires?  If not, I'd say FedEx and track it.

Litebets27's avatar - power
                        Maryland
                        United States
                        Member #10465
                        January 14, 2005
                        6065 Posts
                        Posted: March 22, 2015, 9:03 am - IP Logged

I have used snail mail to request a payout on lottery wins and I believe I only had a problem getting back a $2.00 win from one State. It was not worth an additional stamp to inquire about it.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #100025
                          November 4, 2010
                          158 Posts
                          Posted: April 1, 2015, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

Well, I think I told you all I ended up sending it flat rate letter with both signature and receipt confirmation. This way I was able to see who actually signed for it and what day.  And by sending it flat rate it was in there in two days..

All went without a hitch.  I had the check within the week.  Sweet!

But, just so you all know.. doesn't pay to insure a scratch off.. least with postal service or fed ex, since they will not pay off on it if lost or stolen.

Just have to be thankful for honest postal workers! LOL

LM

See Ya!

Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #100025
                            November 4, 2010
                            158 Posts
                            Posted: April 1, 2015, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

I was on vacation in AZ at the time.

LM

See Ya!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              6290 Posts
                              Posted: April 2, 2015, 11:17 am - IP Logged

Congratulation on your win. Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908