Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won the big JP and you were in the process of a divorce

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 2 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #85037
January 7, 2010
252 Posts
Posted: March 29, 2015, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

What would you do? Would you claim it and give half to your spouse? Wait until you were legally divorced and then claim it?  What if you were still married close to the claim deadline? I would probably give it to my mother to claim, just make her buy me a house :D

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
    Member #133462
    September 30, 2012
    5946 Posts
    Posted: March 29, 2015, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

This reads like a Columbo episode. The uncle he trusted was sleeping with his ex-wife to be and they conspired to kill him and take the loot. They got caught but at the end of the day, he was DEAD. It's money I never had and no matter how much I may hope to win I don't build my life around it. I would claim and let the chips fall where they may.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
      Happy California
      United States
      Member #157856
      August 2, 2014
      1505 Posts
      Posted: March 29, 2015, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

Judges in our country have power. They can go back and order anyone found hiding lottery winnings to split the jackpot .  This happened to a woman when her ex found out that she hid her winnings from the court . The Judge then ordered her to give all the winnings to her husband. She appealed and lost .

Judges have the power over life and death.Crying

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #94283
        July 17, 2010
        2284 Posts
        Posted: March 29, 2015, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

If I hated the soon-to-be-ex it would be so tempting to try to hide it, but deviousness and manipulation are so exhausting!  I think I'd claim it, add it as an asset on the divorce papers and get my lawyer to negotiate to keep as much of it as possible.  Then accept the outcome and go on with my life with more money and less baggage than I had before.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3850 Posts
          Posted: March 29, 2015, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

I would just give her half and be done w/ it NO LAWYERS !

Anyone remember that one ep. of LCML where the winner gave his wife half just as they were going through a divorce

then later she winded up killing someone racing her car ?

Victoria Zell maybe ? from WI or MN.

The  thing I took away from that story is that we never heard of the husband again.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: March 29, 2015, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

What would you do? Would you claim it and give half to your spouse? Wait until you were legally divorced and then claim it?  What if you were still married close to the claim deadline? I would probably give it to my mother to claim, just make her buy me a house :D

If you are still legally married when you win a jackpot then I would think you would probably end up having to share. I would probably just split it because odds are your other half would just take you to court and you'll end up having to pay big legal fees and still have to share. I wouldn't try doing something tricky like have someone else claim it or something because that plan might just backfire on you.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
              Member #65961
              October 11, 2008
              161 Posts
              Posted: March 29, 2015, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

This actually already happened and the story has been told on the TV show "Lottery Changed My Life"...It was about a receptionist who was invited to be in a lottery pool in CA...she joined the same day she separated from her husband (so they could begin divorce proceedings...)

The group won over a $300 million dollars jackpot and this receptionist got a $20 million dollar check (after taxes) as part of her share....Her husband sued her for half....and a CA judge said she had to give $10 million to her estranged husband because they were still married at the time of her win...

The update was that her former husband is now broke as he went through his entire $10 million in less than 5 years...(but the receptionist quit her job...got married to a guy she was previously friend's with (new husband willingly signed the prenup) and they started a family....

This woman still has her millions nicely invested!

No need for revenge... Just live well and be happy!

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
                Member #85037
                January 7, 2010
                252 Posts
                Posted: March 29, 2015, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

This actually already happened and the story has been told on the TV show "Lottery Changed My Life"...It was about a receptionist who was invited to be in a lottery pool in CA...she joined the same day she separated from her husband (so they could begin divorce proceedings...)

The group won over a $300 million dollars jackpot and this receptionist got a $20 million dollar check (after taxes) as part of her share....Her husband sued her for half....and a CA judge said she had to give $10 million to her estranged husband because they were still married at the time of her win...

The update was that her former husband is now broke as he went through his entire $10 million in less than 5 years...(but the receptionist quit her job...got married to a guy she was previously friend's with (new husband willingly signed the prenup) and they started a family....

This woman still has her millions nicely invested!

No need for revenge... Just live well and be happy!

Still it would make me sick he blew through 10M.  ugh. At least she is free of him.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #94283
                  July 17, 2010
                  2284 Posts
                  Posted: March 29, 2015, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Still it would make me sick he blew through 10M.  ugh. At least she is free of him.

Yeah it might be worth 10 mil just to be rid of that guy.  Especially since she's still living well.  If she only got 8 mil of her 10 invested, she's still making more than a quarter million per year after taxes.  Minimum.  Yeah, I could smile if I was in her position.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    6290 Posts
                    Posted: March 29, 2015, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

At one point they both loved one another that's why they got married I say split it and move on.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Arizona
                      United States
                      Member #165073
                      March 24, 2015
                      220 Posts
                      Posted: March 29, 2015, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

Trying to conceal it is just asking for trouble. Courts really don't like people acting in bad faith. Best bet is probably to disclose it, and pay your lawyer well for the strongest argument they can come up with for why you shouldn't have to split it.

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
                        Member #71120
                        February 19, 2009
                        1209 Posts
                        Posted: March 29, 2015, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

I agree.You once loved her so much.I would split it,I dont want to answer for being a bad person in the end.

fajardo
                          United States
                          Member #152445
                          February 15, 2014
                          47 Posts
                          Posted: March 29, 2015, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

I know there was man who was divorcing his wife , so before he claimed the prize he sat down with his wife  and lawyer and they came to an agreement on how much of the jackpot she would get.

If you hide it you would have to split it in 3 shares , your share , your spouse share and the share of the lawyers.

A piece of the jackpot for peace of mind, specially if the divorce is nasty enough were you are hiding assets.  The sooner you can start your life over the better

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #92330
                            June 5, 2010
                            887 Posts
                            Posted: March 29, 2015, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

If you are still legally married when you win a jackpot then I would think you would probably end up having to share. I would probably just split it because odds are your other half would just take you to court and you'll end up having to pay big legal fees and still have to share. I wouldn't try doing something tricky like have someone else claim it or something because that plan might just backfire on you.

I would be willing to bet this is true. Just because you don't claim it until after you're divorced doesn't mean they wouldn't be entitled to any money. You bought the ticket while married and won while married. Split the money 50/50 and be done with it, or else you could end up with almost nothing of it after you're sued for trying to hide money from the marriage.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7295 Posts
                              Posted: March 29, 2015, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

"were in the process of a divorce"

Which means all the papers are probably filled along with community property distributions. This isn't "one size fits all" and depends on not only in which state, but which jurisdiction within that state.

If the actual prize was won before papers were filed, it would be much different.