Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

First time purchasing tickets online

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 2 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
MsNumberDreamer's avatar - lottery balls-cash.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #145690
August 11, 2013
258 Posts
Posted: April 4, 2015, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

I am a little confused right now.  I often forget to pick up some Poweball and MegaMillions tickets so I decided to sign up to NC online subscription for when I do forget I could have a quick option.  Today I forgot to purchase my tickets so I decided to use the cash I had on my subscription.  It made me purchase for at least 4 draws.  However, it didn't show me anything I could print off to prove purchase if my tickets were to win.  How would I prove this?  How does online subscription work with claiming prizes?

I thought I'd be able to print off something to show if my numbers were to win. Anyone use online subscriptions?

To God be the glory... 

When you're winning you're being blessed by Him!

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7302 Posts
    Posted: April 4, 2015, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

I am a little confused right now.  I often forget to pick up some Poweball and MegaMillions tickets so I decided to sign up to NC online subscription for when I do forget I could have a quick option.  Today I forgot to purchase my tickets so I decided to use the cash I had on my subscription.  It made me purchase for at least 4 draws.  However, it didn't show me anything I could print off to prove purchase if my tickets were to win.  How would I prove this?  How does online subscription work with claiming prizes?

I thought I'd be able to print off something to show if my numbers were to win. Anyone use online subscriptions?

"It made me purchase for at least 4 draws."

That's the problem with purchasing tickets online; it's not the same as at a retailer. Proof of purchase is a serious problem and personally I wouldn't purchase any more tickets online until they get that problem resolved.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19824 Posts
      Posted: April 5, 2015, 1:29 am - IP Logged

Check the lottery website.  If you have an account then all your transactions should be recorded and would show any numbers that were charged to it.   Regardless of how you purchases your numbers it's buyers beware, you are responsible for knowing the rules before you buy.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

North Carolina
        United States
        Member #145690
        August 11, 2013
        258 Posts
        Posted: April 5, 2015, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

Check the lottery website.  If you have an account then all your transactions should be recorded and would show any numbers that were charged to it.   Regardless of how you purchases your numbers it's buyers beware, you are responsible for knowing the rules before you buy.

I finally found the information.  The proof of purchase is emailed to you.  I don't think I will be purchasing anymore tickets this way.  I do not like how it is set up and relying on an email to prove I won (when I do win Wink ).

To God be the glory... 

North Carolina
          United States
          Member #145690
          August 11, 2013
          258 Posts
          Posted: April 5, 2015, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

"It made me purchase for at least 4 draws."

That's the problem with purchasing tickets online; it's not the same as at a retailer. Proof of purchase is a serious problem and personally I wouldn't purchase any more tickets online until they get that problem resolved.

I didn't like that at all.  I am stuck with these same numbers for four draws.  I may purchase some at a store to make sure I have some different numbers.  I don't like being stuck with set numbers.  I would be scared the time I didn't play is when they would come out.

I don't think I will be purchasing anymore this way.  I would rather have an actual ticket in hand.

To God be the glory... 

Wyomissing, PA
            United States
            Member #161050
            November 15, 2014
            301 Posts
            Posted: April 5, 2015, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

In my view, an on-line ticket purchase / subscription is far safer than the traditional paper ticket. Many of which are thin paper printed on with heat sensitive ink. While paper chars at a few hundred degrees, it's possible the numbers could be unreadable. So even if one protects their tickets in a fire resistant safe, the tickets may still be seriously damaged due to the high heat adversely affecting the paper and ink.

With that said, a more immediate and common issue with paper tickets is loss / forgetting about it and theft. An on-line ticket is traceable and not easily lost. Heck, the lottery will even contact the winner automatically. The odds are far better of one's home burning down than the lottery losing an e-ticket.

Personally, if the Pennsylvania Lottery ever goes on-line / subscription, I'd switch to that in a heartbeat. Not only would PA Lottery benefit (saving on retailer commissions), but I'd have peace of mind knowing my play is more protected.

With that said, it's important for players utilizing on-line play / subscriptions to take extra precautions on their end to secure their lottery account and monitor for changes; logging in every so often. Many don't realize among their most valuable on-line accounts is their email account, which, in essence, holds all the keys to the kingdom - one with access to a person's email account can easily reset passwords, change user information, etc for other accounts associated with the email address. Lotteries offering on-line play will presumably be proactive with user account security to help players avoid dodge / deal with such issues. On-line play is a trade off, but one, in my view, that's much better than a paper ticket alone, which if lost / forgotten / stolen, generally leaves the true winner with little to zero chance of collecting.

Bondi Junction
              Australia
              Member #57242
              December 24, 2007
              1102 Posts
              Posted: April 5, 2015, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

In New York, you can purchase subscriptions online, but they also mail a hard copy with your subscription details.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3300 Posts
                Posted: April 6, 2015, 4:56 am - IP Logged

here in australia, I have to register my name and adress, and a bank account if i want the cash paid str8 to me, before i can purchase online. thet info is always kept on the onlike account, i guess, there could be some  " glitch " where my winning ticket disappears, but this is prob more likely to happen than me ever winning.

btw almost all my purchases are now entered  via online subscription, as its just way too convenient

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297