Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you win more often on the first and last ticket of the roll?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Hysteria.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
Member #154519
April 19, 2014
243 Posts
Posted: April 5, 2015, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I seem to win more often when the ticket number has a black square next to it.  I'm not sure if it's a coincidence.  I guess I would expect to lose more by buying tickets elsewhere on the roll because I am playing more times.  However, I want to say my win rate has been over 50% on the $20 tickets at the beginning or end of the roll.  Thoughts?

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: April 5, 2015, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

I seem to win more often when the ticket number has a black square next to it.  I'm not sure if it's a coincidence.  I guess I would expect to lose more by buying tickets elsewhere on the roll because I am playing more times.  However, I want to say my win rate has been over 50% on the $20 tickets at the beginning or end of the roll.  Thoughts?

End of the roll for me. I have found that, statistically, around 54% of winners are in the second half of the roll. This makes sense as the lottery wouldn't want all the winners to be claimed upfront, but at the same time they wouldn't want an unfair skew. The difference is too insignificant for the player to tell.

Can't speak to the black square theory, I don't believe that is true since it would give an unfair advantage to players who can identify it. Would probably need to buy a lot of random tickets and run through a proportion hypothesis test to see if there is a bias.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

SE PA
      United States
      Member #93582
      July 3, 2010
      1866 Posts
      Posted: April 10, 2015, 12:27 am - IP Logged

First tickets have all been gone lately so can't tell. Hadn't been so good though.

Last tickets always lose on $10 tickets from my experience. On a $20 they sometimes win. $5 tickets more often they do not win.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #74096
        May 2, 2009
        22861 Posts
        Posted: April 10, 2015, 6:26 am - IP Logged

I've had plenty of winners on the numbers with the black square - that is the first and last ticket in

the pack.

Randomly playing tickets instead of standing and playing out a pack or buying up to 5 or 10 of the

same ticket is the way I play.

I can't say that given the choice between a first or last ticket and a ticket in the teens range or mid-

twenties that I'd go every time for the first or last. I just haven't found that the ratio is higher when

considering start/end tickets vs any number.

I know I win often on the 20's and early single digits though but then again do not have the experience

of starting or ending a pack each time. I'm not always there to snag the first or last of course.

Where it is in the count is what I play and if I win, I win.

I can say this.....I wouldn't all out recommend first or last tickets , It just doesn't stand out in my mind

that they are the good numbers to get.

There are bad numbers though..they are 5, 7, 11, 12, 17, 20, 21, 23.

Good luck and if you win on the first or last, keep going like that. Whatever works for you is key!!

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

PA
          United States
          Member #129849
          June 29, 2012
          308 Posts
          Posted: April 10, 2015, 8:59 am - IP Logged

I used to favor the front of the roll, I really felt I did better there. I had winners that appeared to be fairly

mixed in the packs but it seemed like the first 10 or so tickets (of a $20 roll anyway) payed a lot better and

a lot bigger prizes. Most of my $500 wins were on tickets in the first 10 or so of the roll. I have also hit $500's

a bit further back, maybe early 20's.

I keep up with a youtube lottery channel from time to time, supermanstone420, and not only does this guy seem

to have just incredible luck with how much and often he is winning but it also seems that he is finding bigger winners

pretty evenly throughout the packs. If anything, maybe even more towards the middle / end of rolls. 

Lately, the front parts of the roll have been not so good to me. But then again, tickets in general haven't been great.

Lexington, SC
            United States
            Member #153877
            March 28, 2014
            80 Posts
            Posted: April 12, 2015, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

I assume we are discussing $10 tickets and higher.

I'm usually cautious playing the very last ticket on a book from a bin.  I usually ask the clerk behind the counter what number a ticket is on before I decide to buy from a bin.  Wouldn't surprise me if I caused myself a decent payday because of my apprehension.

The biggest win of my lottery scratching career ($1,000) came on the very last ticket of a scratch packet.  However I have won $500 on tickets on the early side of a book (#008) and towards the middle/later end (#015, #020).  I've never won anything over $50 on the very first ticket, (#000) however I have seen at various convenience stores I've gone to where people have won $100, $200 or even $500 on the first first ticket in a book.

When I first stated playing I thought the black squares were an instant giveaway of a winning ticket because in the beginning I was winning on those but the more I played, the less I won on those.

By the way, does anybody know why those black squares are on the ticket?  A friend of mine believes the tickets are printed on an assembly line and that's the way to indicate to end one book and to begin the next as far as packaging and shrinkwrapping.