Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is owning an island on anyone's wish list

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 2 years ago by zephbe.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
South Carolina
United States
Member #77167
July 15, 2009
555 Posts
Posted: April 6, 2015, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Was reading this article--did not know an island was so inexpensive.

Leonardo DiCaprio plans to build an eco-friendly resort on an island he purchased off the coast of Belize, the New York Timesreports.

Along with a business partner, DiCaprio purchased the 104-acre Blackadore Caye for $1.75 million about 10 years ago and plans to open "Blackadore Caye, a Restorative Island" in 2018.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2659 Posts
    Posted: April 6, 2015, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

its an idea I've had for a while .... but don't think its worth the $$

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
      Member #142499
      May 13, 2013
      1182 Posts
      Posted: April 6, 2015, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Leonardo DiCaprio plans to build an eco-friendly resort on an island he purchased off the coast of Belize, the New York Timesreports.

Along with a business partner, DiCaprio purchased the 104-acre Blackadore Caye for $1.75 million about 10 years ago and plans to open "Blackadore Caye, a Restorative Island" in 2018.

Oh yeah, islands are really cheap to buy. I saw some amazing ones in the Caribbean for under half a mil. So I did consider it, at first blush it did seem like the perfect vacation spot. Until you realize how much work is involved. Everything you need has to be boated in. Keeping electricity running is your responsibility, as is making sure there is enough fresh water at all times.  Even the hassle of keeping groceries and household items stocked didn't phase me much until I considered the headache of trash and sewage disposal. Of course most people who own islands have caretakers of who manage everything year round, but to me, them being there defeats the purpose of a private island. That and you still have to pay taxes.

Owning an island is like buying a printer. Upfront cost is low. Buying what's necessary to get it to work is where you get screwed.

United States
        Member #145267
        August 1, 2013
        1503 Posts
        Posted: April 6, 2015, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

DiCaprio is a mega-millionaire, he paid a certain price for a island.  The real money is maintaining the island and building the island up.  My tbought is that lottery winners should not be thinking about buying an island.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: April 6, 2015, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

Most of the people that come to LP and those who hang out here have a modest wish of just winning a lottery jackpot since that might be possible with a few dollars investment.  Wishing to own an island with only a modest income and probably very little saving would be stupid unless they had come up with a plan to get the money to buy one.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7308 Posts
            Posted: April 6, 2015, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

Oak Island might be an interesting investment.

Jacksonville
              United States
              Member #153806
              March 26, 2014
              345 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2015, 12:02 am - IP Logged

I would only consider buying an island if I could send people there that ask me for money.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4107 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2015, 12:18 am - IP Logged

I think Teddi makes the perfect case for NOT wanting to get an Island should one win a major jackpot. The last thing you would want is the Papparazzi hanging out in boats hundreds of yards off shore with their telescopic lenses trained on the size of your gut or reporting back on what " you did or did not do" now that you a winner. It also helps to remain anonymous  instead of getting your name in the news over an Island purchase. In a word: No Thanks.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #74096
                  May 2, 2009
                  22893 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2015, 12:56 am - IP Logged

Leonardo has money to blow - maybe he'll purchase some stars in the universe next.

What's the point?

You buy it, you have to fly then boat to get to it..or just take the yacht since that fits the wallet too.
                  Then you're there...okay, what now? Look out across the ocean? Sit back and feel good about yourself
                  because you have a piece of land surrounded by water?

That's not my idea of a wish list item. I don't like the water and the travel arrangements even less.
                  Your boat sinks going to the mainland to buy some bread? Or your plane crashes because you had
                  to go to the drug store for a prescription? I guess you could build your own stores or ship in your
                  food and supplies but there is something about getting in the car and going.

I think I'd begin to hate it there and have to sell it or abandon it.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3103 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2015, 8:12 am - IP Logged

Lost interest when it turned out an island won't keep one safe from zombies.

BobP

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                      Member #52345
                      May 21, 2007
                      2659 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2015, 8:37 am - IP Logged

Lost interest when it turned out an island won't keep one safe from zombies.

BobP

LOL

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5595 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2015, 8:47 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I think about it if I were to win a serious jackpot. The upkeep and generating my own electricity, handling waste, etc would require $$$.

The main reason I wouldn't really buy my own island is Mama doesn't like water, and would have no interest in living somewhere surround by water.

This does remind me of a customer I had last year that bought a sofa from me. He was having it shipped to Belize. I mentioned my little fantasy and he gave me his email, and said he sells real estate there. I told him I need to hit a jackpot first. Selling furniture doesn't quite cut it. LOL.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #94283
                          July 17, 2010
                          2284 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2015, 10:56 am - IP Logged

Oh yeah, islands are really cheap to buy. I saw some amazing ones in the Caribbean for under half a mil. So I did consider it, at first blush it did seem like the perfect vacation spot. Until you realize how much work is involved. Everything you need has to be boated in. Keeping electricity running is your responsibility, as is making sure there is enough fresh water at all times.  Even the hassle of keeping groceries and household items stocked didn't phase me much until I considered the headache of trash and sewage disposal. Of course most people who own islands have caretakers of who manage everything year round, but to me, them being there defeats the purpose of a private island. That and you still have to pay taxes.

Owning an island is like buying a printer. Upfront cost is low. Buying what's necessary to get it to work is where you get screwed.

What with solar being fairly good now I wouldn't think electricity would be a big problem.

But the rest, yeah.  And then being the caribbean, a hurricane comes along and levels it and you have to wait till its rebuilt before you can enjoy it again.

United States
                            Member #106134
                            February 13, 2011
                            806 Posts
                            Posted: April 7, 2015, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

No way!

I don't plan on buying any rich man's toys if I win bc I'm not planning on going broke!

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                              South Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #77167
                              July 15, 2009
                              555 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2015, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

I would only consider buying an island if I could send people there that ask me for money.

:) now that's a thought

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar