Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How has the Wyoming Lottery impacted on Utah?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 2 years ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: April 7, 2015, 3:19 am - IP Logged

The Wyoming lottery was expected to draw Utahns to border towns to buy tickets.

In the past, people along the Wasatch Front have rushed to Idaho to buy their tickets but has that changed?

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Bondi Junction
    Australia
    Member #57242
    December 24, 2007
    1102 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2015, 3:23 am - IP Logged

Do you live in Utah?

Do you travel to neighboring states to play?

Bondi Junction
      Australia
      Member #57242
      December 24, 2007
      1102 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2015, 6:59 am - IP Logged

Utahns buy 19% of Idaho's lottery tickets

That's according to a Salt Lake Tribune analysis of Idaho Lottery Commission sales data for 2011, obtained through an open-records request.

It shows that 19.4 percent of Idaho's revenue from traditional lottery drawings comes from sales sites on the Utah border. And owners of such stores credit the Beehive State for the overwhelming majority of those sales — "99 percent" of them, said Alexis Daniels, manager of the Top Stop Chevron in the border city of Malad.

That appropriately named Top Stop is Idaho's No. 1 lottery outlet. By itself, that gasoline station and convenience store sells 3 percent of all the Gem State's tickets for traditional lotteries.

The No. 2 sales site is across the street at the Kwik Stop in Malad. In fact, the top five Idaho Lottery outlets are all on the Utah border, either in Malad, Franklin or Fish Haven. The No. 10 site for traditional lottery drawings is not far away, in Downey.

Malad (population 2,130) even sold more lottery products in 2011 than any city in Idaho, except the capital of Boise (more than 205,000). Malad sold nearly $5,000 in lottery products per resident that year.

"I'd just like to say thank you," Daniels said, "to all the people from Utah who come up to buy tickets."

So would David Workman, spokesman for the Idaho Lottery Commission. He said Idaho knows that Utahns contribute "significantly to Idaho public schools and the state of Idaho's permanent buildings, which are our beneficiaries."

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #94283
        July 17, 2010
        2284 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2015, 10:44 am - IP Logged

I always hate to hear a winning ticket is sold in Eastern Idaho because you just know it's a Utahn that won.  It especially ticks me off when it's a big scratch off.

I expect the Wyoming lottery is benefiting from the Utah locations which are closer to WY than to ID which are plenty of them.  But I haven't heard anything on the subject.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19816 Posts
          Posted: April 7, 2015, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

I always hate to hear a winning ticket is sold in Eastern Idaho because you just know it's a Utahn that won.  It especially ticks me off when it's a big scratch off.

I expect the Wyoming lottery is benefiting from the Utah locations which are closer to WY than to ID which are plenty of them.  But I haven't heard anything on the subject.

Ohio players felt the same way when Ohio had its Super Lotto Plus(6/49+1) game and out of state players would win.  During those days the game had a starting jackpot of $5M, rolled at least $2M and was was won every month with jackpots of $20M+.  After the game jackpot was capped at $20M and neighboring states got PowerBall and BigGame and their players stop coming Ohio couldn't afford to keep SLP with it jackpot minimums and the game was replaced.

Today Ohio has Classic Lotto(6/49) with a starting jackpot of $1M that rolls $100K when it's not won.  The jackpots are smaller but at least there aren't a lot of out of state players coming to Ohio trying to win it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #34931
            March 9, 2006
            98 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2015, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

Southwest Utah travels south on Interstate 15 to purchase Arizona lottery tickets at Beaver Dam Station and Beaver Dam Lodge . . which had a $1,000,000 Powerball winner in 2013.  Google map.

Related article . . Why won’t Utah lawmakers gamble on lottery?

Bondi Junction
              Australia
              Member #57242
              December 24, 2007
              1102 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2015, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

You should rejoice, they are helping to raise more revenue for your state.

Bondi Junction
                Australia
                Member #57242
                December 24, 2007
                1102 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2015, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Southwest Utah travels south on Interstate 15 to purchase Arizona lottery tickets at Beaver Dam Station and Beaver Dam Lodge . . which had a $1,000,000 Powerball winner in 2013.  Google map.

Related article . . Why won’t Utah lawmakers gamble on lottery?

The following paragraph puts it in a nutshell!

It got to the point where the legislators finally said that a lottery just didn’t fit with the morals of the people who reside in the state of Utah. I asked if any one of them ever drove past the Beaver Dam Station and Bar, run by my dear friend Bonnie, and noticed all of the Utah license plates on the cars parked out front when the Powerball or Arizona Lottery jackpot was surging. Most of them reacted as if they never heard of Beaver Dam while the others growled and snarled.

The fact is, however, the store and bar sell an average of $4,500 in lottery tickets daily. Last Saturday? They sold $26,000 worth of lottery tickets.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10344 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2015, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

Nevada residents know that their state is sometimes called 'Whore Nevada' because people from Utah and lots of other places go to Nevada to do their 'dirty work'.

So Utahans going to Idaho to play lotto is no big surprise.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Bondi Junction
                    Australia
                    Member #57242
                    December 24, 2007
                    1102 Posts
                    Posted: April 13, 2015, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

“We believe we’ve got strategies in place that can defend that,” Idaho Lottery Director Jeff  Anderson said. Those include popular border retailers in Malad City and Franklin that draw big volumes of regular Utah customers. “So we’re the home of the Utah lottery, when it comes to that,” he joked. The typical Idaho Lottery retailer has about $150,000 in lottery sales a year; two stores in Malad City, Top Stop and Kwik Stop, each have between $3 million and $4 million. “Malad City doesn’t have a lot of people, but they sure sell a lot of lottery tickets,” Anderson said. Border retailers cater to Utah residents by providing “places you can sit down, have a hot dog, scratch some tickets, have a soda,” he said