Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Being tempted to check my numbers regularly!

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 2 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
Nova Scotia
Canada
Member #9934
December 27, 2004
884 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2015, 8:13 am - IP Logged

I check the numbers that are drawn daily; instead of letting them simmer for a week or so. How long do you wait before checking to see if numbers won?

I don't want to be tempted to check the lottery every day. I want to hold off on it, and be more patient..

Party

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5588 Posts
    Posted: April 11, 2015, 8:18 am - IP Logged

I check the numbers that are drawn daily; instead of letting them simmer for a week or so. How long do you wait before checking to see if numbers won?

I don't want to be tempted to check the lottery every day. I want to hold off on it, and be more patient..

Party

I see no reason to wait to check my tickets. If I have any wins, I use them to help pay for my next tickets.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
      Member #161539
      December 3, 2014
      328 Posts
      Posted: April 11, 2015, 8:31 am - IP Logged

Party

Not sure if I understand your question ... I would say ... Why wait? ... unless you feel checking lottery numbers everyday would lead to more lottery spending ... in a way it becoming an addiction?

If you play only so much a week in tickets and money and you have it under control ... go for it, you actually might have finally hit a big winner and you can get your ticket processed ... but then there's no harm in checking your tickets once a week, just don't forget about them.

Addictive are those "scratch off" players standing at a self serve terminal ... buying and scratching, buying and scratching ... some of them really don't want to step aside, I guess they are afraid I might also be buying the game they are playing and will get the winner.

I don't buy scratch offs anymore but of course they don't know that ... also, when I did buy scratch offs years ago or maybe now and then, I would go out to my car to check them or take the tickets home ... it's funny watching them just putting money in the machine but maybe a few of them are winning more money that way.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19816 Posts
        Posted: April 11, 2015, 8:40 am - IP Logged

Party

I only check drawings when I play to see if I had any winners or just before I play to update my data files so I don't play any combinations that have already won.
        I mark the winners and put them in my play slip pouch, that way they are ready to be cashed in the next time I play.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4102 Posts
          Posted: April 11, 2015, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

No daily ticket checking for me : What's the hurry? Given the odds,  we know all too well that we probably have a losing hand. I want to read  " PB Winning ticket purchased @ ..."  which is EXACTLY where I get/got mine. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1129 Posts
            Posted: April 11, 2015, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

Strangely, I find that the less I check my tickets (or mindful to doing so), the better the frequency and amount of my winnings.

Have a feeling it may have something to do with Schrödinger's cat LOL

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: April 11, 2015, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

The OP didn't specify whether she is talking about checking numbers on tickets she has purchased OR just pet numbers she has a hunch might win one day, like say when you think 8085 is due to be drawn.

Not checking tickets is not a good idea. Not checking pet numbers is no big deal.

That money's gone fo ever

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                Happy California
                United States
                Member #157856
                August 2, 2014
                1506 Posts
                Posted: April 11, 2015, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

I am here on the West Coast so I am checking USAMEGA.com  at 8P.M. every draw night. It is a habit now. I can understand that 11P.M. is late for folks on the East Coast .

"To each his/her own" William Shakespeare ?

Good Luck !Banana

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19816 Posts
                  Posted: April 11, 2015, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

I am here on the West Coast so I am checking USAMEGA.com  at 8P.M. every draw night. It is a habit now. I can understand that 11P.M. is late for folks on the East Coast .

"To each his/her own" William Shakespeare ?

Good Luck !Banana

Being on the East Coast, at 8:PM we still have two hours left to buy tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

cbr$'s avatar - maren
                    Cordova,Al.
                    United States
                    Member #104482
                    January 15, 2011
                    4863 Posts
                    Posted: April 11, 2015, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

I try to be patient, if I'm playing some numbers for x amount of days, then I'm checking daily.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                      Nova Scotia
                      Canada
                      Member #9934
                      December 27, 2004
                      884 Posts
                      Posted: April 11, 2015, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

I check numbers too frequently thinking that they will win. In stead of being more casual about it.

Alot of time's they have not won..

So I want to take a different approach to it- and not check them daily.

And give myself some space, with the lottery number's...

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4102 Posts
                        Posted: April 11, 2015, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

I check numbers too frequently thinking that they will win. In stead of being more casual about it.

Alot of time's they have not won..

So I want to take a different approach to it- and not check them daily.

And give myself some space, with the lottery number's...

If they losing numbers, they not going to change to winning ones if " you more casual about it or decide to take a different approach" Elizabeth.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Pinellas County, Florida
                          United States
                          Member #151493
                          January 18, 2014
                          35 Posts
                          Posted: April 11, 2015, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

I don't like to be depressed to see that I'm not a winner so I usually wait a few days to check mine (while imagining that I COULD be a millionaire without knowing it yet).

You gotta be in it to win it.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7295 Posts
                            Posted: April 11, 2015, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

Party

If anyone needs a reason to check their tickets, just read this article. Because you said "drawn daily", it's not the same as forgetting about a ticket possible worth millions, but I wouldn't want to find tickets worth a few hundred in my drawer a month after they expired.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                              NY State
                              United States
                              Member #92609
                              June 10, 2010
                              3690 Posts
                              Posted: April 12, 2015, 7:31 am - IP Logged

If anyone needs a reason to check their tickets, just read this article. Because you said "drawn daily", it's not the same as forgetting about a ticket possible worth millions, but I wouldn't want to find tickets worth a few hundred in my drawer a month after they expired.

In addition to not wanting to find a winning ticket after it expired, I wouldn't want to misplace a ticket and not be able to find it at a later date. So I check them whenever I've bought them.

Checking my tickets is part of my daily routine.  (That's IF I bought a ticket the day before)  There are days when I don't buy tickets simply because I was busy with other things, or like yesterday when was out of my home state of New York.  I was over in Connecticut yesterday, but I didn't buy tickets over there because I don't track and keep data on any of their online games. Raffle tickets are a different story.  I do buy them if there's a raffle going on in either CT or Pennsylvania.  Those I have to hold on to until the date of the drawing which could be a few months in the future.  Believe me when I tell ya, I sure DONT misplace those! I know exactly where they are!

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!