Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Group Size Limit...

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 2 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
CALI
Afghanistan
Member #118735
November 6, 2011
134 Posts
Posted: April 19, 2015, 7:18 am - IP Logged

Am I better off trying to expand my group from 10 to 20 people in order to statistically have a better chance?

If our group spends $1,000 per month, is their really any advantage to spending twice that?

I’m sure some folks have played for over 20 years and never hit pay dirt.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: April 19, 2015, 7:43 am - IP Logged

Am I better off trying to expand my group from 10 to 20 people in order to statistically have a better chance?

If our group spends $1,000 per month, is their really any advantage to spending twice that?

Let's do a comparative study.

The city I live in has a population of just over 90,000 and I see people playing the lottery all the time. If we can consider them to be one large pool, we see that it's a pool that doesn't win big. I say this because MA lottery publishes on its website who won big ($100,000 and up) and where the big prizes were sold/bought.

Good luck

That money's gone fo ever

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3472 Posts
      Posted: April 19, 2015, 11:10 am - IP Logged

It depends on how easily you can find 10 people who are foolish enough to spend $1000 per month for an infinitesimally small chance of winning 5% of the prize.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5588 Posts
        Posted: April 19, 2015, 11:13 am - IP Logged

It just doesn't make that much difference. Look for ways to play to reduce the odds. For example... BobP has a idea whereby if you eliminate the numbers that were drawn in the last drawing, then you've dramatically reduce the odds provided none of the numbers in the last draw play again. It is a condition that doesn't always work of course, but many times it does. It's a way to wipe millions of combinations off the table. That's the best way to play the jackpot games.

You might try to eliminate 1 or 2 decades of numbers from play also. For example, play all the numbers except those in the 20's (20-29).

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19816 Posts
          Posted: April 19, 2015, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

The store where I usually buy my tickets sells at least 30 times that amount and yet when I win $100 the clerks get excited and act like that's seldom happens.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7295 Posts
            Posted: April 19, 2015, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

The store where I usually buy my tickets sells at least 30 times that amount and yet when I win $100 the clerks get excited and act like that's seldom happens.

Happy Birthday, RJ!!!!!!

Party

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19816 Posts
              Posted: April 19, 2015, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Happy Birthday, RJ!!!!!!

Party

Thank you.  I'm getting so old I almost forgot another year had gone by.

Evil Looking       

CALI
                Afghanistan
                Member #118735
                November 6, 2011
                134 Posts
                Posted: April 19, 2015, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

I guess another way to view it is, we actually have 1000 chances to win a month.

$900 of what we spend are always quick picks from the same 7-11.

So I guess will just cap it at 10 people, someday maybe it will happen.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19816 Posts
                  Posted: April 20, 2015, 1:26 am - IP Logged

I guess another way to view it is, we actually have 1000 chances to win a month.

Many players are spending more than $100/month on lottery tickets and I suspect some of them are in your pool.  Don't be surprised if it happen to one of your pool members who brought some tickets on his own.  Just don't expect him to share his winnings with other pool members.

Evil Looking       

CALI
                    Afghanistan
                    Member #118735
                    November 6, 2011
                    134 Posts
                    Posted: April 20, 2015, 1:48 am - IP Logged

Curious to know, if there are any Groups in CA that spend more than 1 Grand a month

United States
                      Member #161539
                      December 3, 2014
                      328 Posts
                      Posted: April 20, 2015, 7:33 am - IP Logged

I know you and your group would like to be playing all that money toward a large jackpot ... so everybody has enough for retirement or whatever.

Maybe a state raffle would be something to think about ... with that kind of money for two months buying raffle tickets and with the odds much better to win a million dollars or more ... give that some thought.

The PA raffle sells only 500,000 tickets at $20 a ticket ... there are four $1 million dollar prizes and four $100,000 prizes and many lower prizes.

With many tickets it could be possible to win several big prizes in theory. I don't know if anyone has been lucky enough to win two of the four million dollar prizes ... probably will happen someday ... somebody with 10 or 20 tickets could win all four million dollar and all four $100,000 prizes. Unlikely, but it could happen.

The odds of winning one million are 1: 125,000.

$2,000 or $2,500 in tickets might be fruitful or could be a nightmare ... $2,000 would only be 100 tickets out of 500,000 ... but the odds are in your favor.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19816 Posts
                        Posted: April 20, 2015, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

Curious to know, if there are any Groups in CA that spend more than 1 Grand a month

You never hear about groups like that until they win and then it's from someone who couldn't share because they didn't pay.

Evil Looking       

Canada
                          Member #154380
                          April 14, 2014
                          57 Posts
                          Posted: April 21, 2015, 12:05 am - IP Logged

I recommend you expand your group to 20 and then only buy tickets when the jackpot is very large. Best way to play the big US games.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: April 21, 2015, 10:29 am - IP Logged

Thank you.  I'm getting so old I almost forgot another year had gone by.

Sorry, I missed your birthday RJOh. Hope you had a good one! Blue Angel

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."