Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NY Lottery keep selling scratchers with no top prizes left

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 2 years ago by abjorik.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
New York
United States
Member #156870
July 2, 2014
80 Posts
Posted: April 20, 2015, 12:14 am - IP Logged

I have a grocery store near my house that is still selling the $100 million payout $10 dollar scratch game. The top prizes are gone, the last one was claimed in the end of march.

I would like to know if it is legal? Because if it is not I will take a picture of the tickets for sale with no top prizes left

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19825 Posts
    Posted: April 20, 2015, 1:33 am - IP Logged

I have a grocery store near my house that is still selling the $100 million payout $10 dollar scratch game. The top prizes are gone, the last one was claimed in the end of march.

I would like to know if it is legal? Because if it is not I will take a picture of the tickets for sale with no top prizes left

If it was illegal wouldn't your state close the game and collect all the remaining tickets?  There are probably still some nice prizes left.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Lexington, SC
      United States
      Member #153877
      March 28, 2014
      80 Posts
      Posted: April 20, 2015, 4:06 am - IP Logged

Its legal as long as the game is open, yes?

I know in my state, the lottery tickets have the disclaimer of "tickets may continue to be sold after all top prizes have been claimed."  Not sure how it works for New York.

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
        Member #165244
        March 30, 2015
        227 Posts
        Posted: April 20, 2015, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Even when there are only 2-4 top prizes to begin with,  it hardly seems worth it. Especially in Upstate N.Y.

Texas
          United States
          Member #34271
          March 1, 2006
          90 Posts
          Posted: April 20, 2015, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

Have you called Albany?

New York
            United States
            Member #157288
            July 14, 2014
            170 Posts
            Posted: April 20, 2015, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

With the NY Lottery th have an end of game date and still sell tickets up to that point... Sometimes. Depending on the game they will still sell unless they notate on the website that they are recalling any tickets still out there.

i believe they are still selling the Hit 1,000,000 game at some retailers as well.

Jacksonville
              United States
              Member #153806
              March 26, 2014
              345 Posts
              Posted: April 20, 2015, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

It is probably legal because most states put out a disclaimer that top prizes may be unavailable at the time of purchase because of certain issues.  Also, since the number of top prizes is public information, people are not being misled.  If you are going to spend $100s of dollars on scratch-off tickets, you should do a little homework.  Florida typically pulls a game within a few months after the last top prize is sold.

ozone park
                United States
                Member #57042
                December 15, 2007
                274 Posts
                Posted: April 21, 2015, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

The last winning prize ticket could have very well been sold in march but did the winners claim it yet. If they did not claim the ticket lotto has to keep it unclaimed on their list until it is officially claimed. That is the law. Now if the claimed it and it is paid out than the ticket cannot be sold and loot would have recalled the game.

New York
                  United States
                  Member #156870
                  July 2, 2014
                  80 Posts
                  Posted: April 21, 2015, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

The last winning prize ticket could have very well been sold in march but did the winners claim it yet. If they did not claim the ticket lotto has to keep it unclaimed on their list until it is officially claimed. That is the law. Now if the claimed it and it is paid out than the ticket cannot be sold and loot would have recalled the game.

Yes, the last ticket was claimed. The NY lottery's website clearly says that the game does not have top prizes left. And what I see is that the game is still available on sale at some locations.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                    NY
                    United States
                    Member #121961
                    January 21, 2012
                    3157 Posts
                    Posted: April 22, 2015, 1:17 am - IP Logged

They retired it the same day you posted. Have you gone back to see if their still there.

New York
                      United States
                      Member #156870
                      July 2, 2014
                      80 Posts
                      Posted: April 22, 2015, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

They retired it the same day you posted. Have you gone back to see if their still there.

Yes, They are still available on sale right now