Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Let's Create Some Proposed Proposition Bets

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 2 years ago by grwurston.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10344 Posts
Posted: April 21, 2015, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Maybe the lottery officials that monitor LP can do something with this one.

Some states allow bets on sums, I think Texas does this on Pick 3.

So how about Daily Sums for Pick 3 and 4 combined? In states with midday and evening drawings it could be the sum for all four drawings. Just a thought.

Anyone else? try to keep it to things that the lotto may actually book in the future.

Have fun.

Smile

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
    Winning makes me smile.
    bel air maryland
    United States
    Member #90251
    April 24, 2010
    4850 Posts
    Posted: April 21, 2015, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

So how about Daily Sums for Pick 3 and 4 combined? In states with midday and evening drawings it could be the sum for all four drawings. Just a thought.

Anyone else? try to keep it to things that the lotto may actually book in the future.

Have fun.

Smile

New York is another state that allows sums betting.

Having the sums for both games might be tough for those that only play one game or the other and normally don't keep up with both games. Having it for each game would be good though.

I just checked the results page for NY and Texas and the payouts for sums seem to be different for each draw. Maybe it's a parimutuel.  Not really enough money to get excited about though. $6, 9, 14.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10344 Posts
      Posted: April 21, 2015, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

New York is another state that allows sums betting.

Having the sums for both games might be tough for those that only play one game or the other and normally don't keep up with both games. Having it for each game would be good though.

I just checked the results page for NY and Texas and the payouts for sums seem to be different for each draw. Maybe it's a parimutuel.  Not really enough money to get excited about though. $6, 9, 14.

Thanks for replying, gwurston.

A lot of times the idea behind prop bets is to throw the players a 'bone'.

Back in the 1980s some sports books in Vegas were toying with the idea of an Over/Under for the total points scored in Sunday NFL games.

Scared

Maybe the MUSL could do something like a sum for the Mega ball and Powerball, since so many players win zip on any given draw. Most of the sums prized would go right back into the games anyway.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Winning makes me smile.
        bel air maryland
        United States
        Member #90251
        April 24, 2010
        4850 Posts
        Posted: April 21, 2015, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for replying, gwurston.

A lot of times the idea behind prop bets is to throw the players a 'bone'.

Back in the 1980s some sports books in Vegas were toying with the idea of an Over/Under for the total points scored in Sunday NFL games.

Scared

Maybe the MUSL could do something like a sum for the Mega ball and Powerball, since so many players win zip on any given draw. Most of the sums prized would go right back into the games anyway.

The NFL still does the over / under bets. Well, not the "NFL" exactly Wink They always list it with the point spreads in the newspapers in NY. 
        As far as the sums for P3 -P4. I think anyone that is good with root sums would do pretty well at it. But the payouts aren't worth the effort. If they paid $100, I'd clean up.  Green laughGreen laugh

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10344 Posts
          Posted: April 21, 2015, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Good stuff....the sports book thing I was referring to was the O/U for all the games combined on Sunday, as if it was one very high scoring game.

Scared

Lep

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7295 Posts
            Posted: April 21, 2015, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

Have fun.

Smile

The states with Quinto type pick-5 games allow many of the prop bets so they could allow all the pick-3 and/or pick-4 prop bets and still pay the same 50%. Some lotteries use sum betting as an extra bet with three number bets, but I don't think any of the them allow just sum bets.

Winning makes me smile.
              bel air maryland
              United States
              Member #90251
              April 24, 2010
              4850 Posts
              Posted: April 21, 2015, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Good stuff....the sports book thing I was referring to was the O/U for all the games combined on Sunday, as if it was one very high scoring game.

Scared

I don't know how they would do that. Say the O/U was 400, I would think they would have to have say a +- range of  10. And you select your own number. If you're in the range you win, if not you lose. Otherwise the bookies would loose their shirts if everyone took the over and it was 420.  Well,I suppose if there was a way they could make $$$ from it, it would already exist.

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10344 Posts
                Posted: April 22, 2015, 12:48 am - IP Logged

If you played a number 'straight' it would pay a lot more, a +/- range of 10 would be considered playing the field and not pay near as much.

Every book has a formula that x number of dollars moves the line a half a point or a point the opposite way, that's how they 'balance' the books.

If the O/U for the day was 400, and money started coming in on the Over, they would adjust the line to make the under more attractive. In re; to lotteries, they would adjust the payouts probably.

The people in Nevada that bet sports for a living try to middle the games, that is bet both sides on the line moves and collect both bets. Say Green Bay is playing Denver and the line opens Green Bay -7. Then a lot of action comes in and people betting Denver get Denver at + 8.5 instead of +7.

So a sports bettor makes both bets, laying 7 and taking 8 1/2.

Then let's say the final is Green Bay 31, Denver 23. That player would have the game 'middled', collecting on both Green Bay and Denver.

I think with lotto though it would have to be set payouts and an exact number.

How about a weekly total for PB and MM for both draws for each game?

Wink

Lep

Winning makes me smile.
                  bel air maryland
                  United States
                  Member #90251
                  April 24, 2010
                  4850 Posts
                  Posted: April 22, 2015, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

If you played a number 'straight' it would pay a lot more, a +/- range of 10 would be considered playing the field and not pay near as much.

Every book has a formula that x number of dollars moves the line a half a point or a point the opposite way, that's how they 'balance' the books.

If the O/U for the day was 400, and money started coming in on the Over, they would adjust the line to make the under more attractive. In re; to lotteries, they would adjust the payouts probably.

The people in Nevada that bet sports for a living try to middle the games, that is bet both sides on the line moves and collect both bets. Say Green Bay is playing Denver and the line opens Green Bay -7. Then a lot of action comes in and people betting Denver get Denver at + 8.5 instead of +7.

So a sports bettor makes both bets, laying 7 and taking 8 1/2.

Then let's say the final is Green Bay 31, Denver 23. That player would have the game 'middled', collecting on both Green Bay and Denver.

I think with lotto though it would have to be set payouts and an exact number.

How about a weekly total for PB and MM for both draws for each game?

Wink

Thanks for the wagering lesson CT.  Thumbs Up