Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Alabama woman wins Powerball in Florida

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Raven62.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
South Carolina
United States
Member #77167
July 15, 2009
554 Posts
Posted: April 22, 2015, 11:48 am - IP Logged

An Alabama woman has claimed her prize from the winning Powerball ticket sold in North Escambia on April 11.  Alice Dawson, 60, of Frisco City, AL, chose to receive the winnings as a one-time, lump-sum payment of $53,440,213.76.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: April 22, 2015, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

If the state of Alabama has no income tax then this lucky lady is home free because Florida also has no income taxes.

I'm playing tonight and I'll power play this time.

That money's gone fo ever

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: April 22, 2015, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

An Alabama woman has claimed her prize from the winning Powerball ticket sold in North Escambia on April 11.  Alice Dawson, 60, of Frisco City, AL, chose to receive the winnings as a one-time, lump-sum payment of $53,440,213.76.

Good for her! I hope she enjoys her big win. Smile

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
        USA
        United States
        Member #152799
        February 25, 2014
        1092 Posts
        Posted: April 22, 2015, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Alabama has a 4% state income tax rate. I figured that someone from Alabama probably won that PB jackpot since it was so close to the border.

That is one trip across the border that she will never forget.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: April 22, 2015, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

Alabama has a 4% state income tax rate. I figured that someone from Alabama probably won that PB jackpot since it was so close to the border.

That is one trip across the border that she will never forget.

I just hope she wasn't also buying tickets for her friends, neighbors and co-workers on this trip across the boarder.  While if there was a depute about her sharing, Alabama wouldn't get involved since its courts don't do lottery disputes she might lose a few friends.  I remember a case on 60 minutes a few years ago where a women working in a restaurant was given a winning ticket as a tip and her co-worker thought she should have shared it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

homestead
            United States
            Member #158182
            August 14, 2014
            132 Posts
            Posted: April 22, 2015, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Quite true. So many people have been coming to FL for years and have won Big.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
              Happy California
              United States
              Member #157856
              August 2, 2014
              1513 Posts
              Posted: April 22, 2015, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Congratulations to Alice Dawson, 60 years young.  I am pleased that she got my two dollars.Wink

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                USA
                United States
                Member #152799
                February 25, 2014
                1092 Posts
                Posted: April 22, 2015, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

I just hope she wasn't also buying tickets for her friends, neighbors and co-workers on this trip across the boarder.  While if there was a depute about her sharing, Alabama wouldn't get involved since its courts don't do lottery disputes she might lose a few friends.  I remember a case on 60 minutes a few years ago where a women working in a restaurant was given a winning ticket as a tip and her co-worker thought she should have shared it.

I remember the nightmare that waitress went through. People fabricate any kind of story these days in a sad attempt get a piece of the pie.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
                  Member #133462
                  September 30, 2012
                  5946 Posts
                  Posted: April 22, 2015, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

I remember the story vaguely. I imagine her argument was that ALL tips are to be pooled and given that it was given as a tip it fell under that rule. The only winners in these creative cases are attorneys.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                    South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #77167
                    July 15, 2009
                    554 Posts
                    Posted: April 23, 2015, 12:18 am - IP Logged

I remember the story vaguely. I imagine her argument was that ALL tips are to be pooled and given that it was given as a tip it fell under that rule. The only winners in these creative cases are attorneys.

I think a customer gave her the ticket.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                      Gurnee, Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #49731
                      February 12, 2007
                      917 Posts
                      Posted: April 23, 2015, 7:49 am - IP Logged

"This is a blessing in our lives and proves that anything is possible with faith in God," said Dawson. "We plan on using our winnings to help our friends, family and our church."

It looks like Alice is a member of a prosperity gospel church, so her pastor is so happy he/she will be able to trade in the Chevy Suburban and get a Mercedes jeep! Hallelujah! 

The truth is winning that amount of money should be a blessing in anybody's life and it can happen to anybody because the Bible says God pours out blessings to the just and unjust (just look at how rich many dictators, criminals and terrorists are!).

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                        JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                        Member #141034
                        April 2, 2013
                        1408 Posts
                        Posted: April 23, 2015, 8:32 am - IP Logged

That stuff can get really messy in flash.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                          Pittsburg, Ks
                          United States
                          Member #3382
                          January 17, 2004
                          80810 Posts
                          Posted: April 24, 2015, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

Quite true. So many people have been coming to FL for years and have won Big.

Vacationing in Orlando one year I bought a scratcher. Won 5 Bucks but didn't turn it in

God Bless America

US Flag

Raven62's avatar - binary
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #17843
                            June 28, 2005
                            49709 Posts
                            Posted: April 24, 2015, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

For the complete story: Read the Lottery News Forum: http://www.lotterypost.com/news/288609

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!