Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How often and how much do you play in scratch-offs?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Funtimz.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
Member #165244
March 30, 2015
228 Posts
Posted: May 10, 2015, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

I did an experiment back in December where I took a portion of my bonus check from work ($200) and played it on several games throughout the month.  I kept track of everything and when all was spent I won $230 back total.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to play that much again all at once.  So I now play $20-$40 once a month.  I usually do it mid-month but now that the time is coming up for me to do it this month, I am almost nervous about doing it. But I do have in mind what tickets I would like to buy.

Anyway how often and how much do you usually play on scratch-offs?

Nashville, TN
    United States
    Member #166326
    May 15, 2015
    25 Posts
    Posted: May 15, 2015, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

You mentioned you play $20-40 once a month. May I ask the type of tickets you purchase, such as $5 tickets or do you purchase one or two $20 tickets?

I just started playing the scratch off games again. When I first started I was about 19 or 20 years old and only played the $1-2 games. Needless to say it was not very profitable at all. Since started back I've played nothing but the $10 games (not sure how much I've spent) However, I can already tell that the returns have been much better. I think I am going to start tracking my winnings/losses in a spreadsheet from now on. I think I will limit myself to about $20-40 bucks a week, but never exceeding $100 a month. I now only play $10-20 games.

United States
      Member #165244
      March 30, 2015
      228 Posts
      Posted: May 17, 2015, 8:15 am - IP Logged

I found that buying $5 scratchers produced more of a win for me.  It could also be that I didnt buy too many $10 tix that I feel that way also.  Certainly when only spending twenty bucks $5 tickets will allow more chances of winning.

YNotPlay's avatar - Betty Boop-the-Boop-Oop-a-Doop-girl-betty-boop-17089
        Bloomington,MN
        United States
        Member #165424
        April 6, 2015
        6 Posts
        Posted: May 18, 2015, 10:07 am - IP Logged

Hi, I'm new to the board and thought I'd chime in. I spend about $10-$100 per week sometimes depending on how I feel and the weather (lol). I live in Mn and the payouts are not nearly as good as the other states. I love playing the Northstar and daily 3, but what gets me in trouble are the $50 scratch off and the $5 progressive print and play bingo. I've hit many $500 but nothing more than that amount. I do love the Monopoly scratch off, my friend did win the second chance for Vegas in Dec. 2014. My motto "You gotta be in it to Win IT"

United States
          Member #165244
          March 30, 2015
          228 Posts
          Posted: May 20, 2015, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

I live in Upstate NY and there are not nearly as many big winnings as there are for say, NYC. Seems so unfair.  On a lot of the $5 scratchoffs I play, I usually break even...though sometimes not even that.

United States
            Member #166312
            May 15, 2015
            10 Posts
            Posted: May 21, 2015, 1:47 am - IP Logged

Five dollar tickets most of the time.. Those $20 lotto tickets are solely played be me through online vendors. To tell you the fact, I have not won more than what I have spent in the last few weeks.

PA
              United States
              Member #129849
              June 29, 2012
              308 Posts
              Posted: May 29, 2015, 9:05 am - IP Logged

I started off as a very casual player over the last few years, I'd buy maybe $20-$30 worth of tickets

once a month or so. I'd often go months without buying any at all, and some months I might buy $100-$150.

Kinda worked itself out so that I was buying around an average of $20-$30 a month.

At my peak last year, I had days where I played upwards of $300 in one trip to the store. Last year was a good year for

me, but it was not the norm for sure. I had streaks where I'd hit $500 twice on the same day, and I had streaks where

I'd lose $250 in the blink of an eye. When the smoke settled, I finished up last year about $3000 ahead in combined

lottery winnings (scratchers and 2 match 6 hits).

This year, I've been more casual about it. I normally have been playing around $100 a month, maybe a bit more some months.

So far this month I've played more, but I didn't buy all that much last month.

My advice: Don't feel that it's "unfortunate" that you can't buy more than you do. I scratch because like so many others I feel

like I'm going to find that big winner. The reality is often different, and what ends up happening is that you lose a bunch of money.

Stay away from the bigger tickets ($30 +) and make it a goal to never play beyond your means.

SE PA
                United States
                Member #93582
                July 3, 2010
                1866 Posts
                Posted: May 29, 2015, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

Really depends on how much money I have left over and how I have been doing. I like to take breaks or else I get too involved emotionally. I try to always play the first day of new tickets, though haven't found anything special lately.

United States
                  Member #165244
                  March 30, 2015
                  228 Posts
                  Posted: May 29, 2015, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

I definitely try not to feel too unfortunate about not being able to play as much as I would like.  I have to keep in mind my responsibilities as a single mom along with a house and car payment. So when it is not my time to play I do my best to stay away. 

I try to save up for my next play with the previous winnings, even if I didnt win all of it back...

Atlanta, GA
                    United States
                    Member #153005
                    March 3, 2014
                    331 Posts
                    Posted: May 31, 2015, 12:49 am - IP Logged

I only started playing scratch off tickets almost 2 years ago now, Wow time flies.....

When I first started I'd do like $10 a month, and that was for the first month or so. Then I started doing $20-$30 a week. Then as months went on I'd do $200 a month, then $300, then $400, and rarely $500+. 

These days I'm good at limiting myself and controlling the urges to play. I always try to play $50-$100 per month these days. Some months I go over $20-$40, but thats about it. 

I'll usually play once a week or once every other week. If I need to take a 2-3 week break, then I do. I hardly ever go past $120-$140 in a month, but its usually slightly under $100 or right at $100.

JBounds's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                      Missouri
                      United States
                      Member #164740
                      March 13, 2015
                      108 Posts
                      Posted: June 6, 2015, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

I spend like $20 a week and only ever buy $5 tickets.  Last Monday before work I stopped in a gas station and bought one $5 ticket and won $100. I've never won that much on one ticket before.

United States
                        Member #165244
                        March 30, 2015
                        228 Posts
                        Posted: June 7, 2015, 8:50 am - IP Logged

Nice...I spent $20 and won $15... Sleepy

JBounds's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                          Missouri
                          United States
                          Member #164740
                          March 13, 2015
                          108 Posts
                          Posted: June 8, 2015, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

One of these days we'll hit a big one.

CALI
                            Afghanistan
                            Member #118735
                            November 6, 2011
                            134 Posts
                            Posted: July 4, 2015, 12:55 am - IP Logged

While on vacation I spent $1500 on 3 rolls 50 Ticks each of (Taxes Paid).

I only got about $900 back, not a bad loss...

(HIT THE BIG ONE, OR BUY A SKI MASK)

United States
                              Member #165244
                              March 30, 2015
                              228 Posts
                              Posted: July 4, 2015, 6:44 am - IP Logged

wow...see I would have to "save" to play that amount.  I couldnt just take that out of my paycheck or savings account and do that. But I sure would be willing to try. But yeah not too bad a loss.

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...