Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 3:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you for a Cash Jackpot payout regardless of the amount?

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Teddi.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
grwurston's avatar - 144
Let's Go Rangers!!!
bel air maryland
United States
Member #90251
April 24, 2010
4884 Posts
Posted: May 18, 2015, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Image result for stack of money How about this round up?

That could be $1 bills and I would take that pile.  Green laugh

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
    Member #164603
    March 8, 2015
    614 Posts
    Posted: May 18, 2015, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

It's Only King if you smart enough to enjoy its benefits instead of blowing through it within 5 -10 years. 

That's why one wins twice - one jackpot to p*ss away and one to be responsible with.Approve

south el monte
      United States
      Member #154982
      May 4, 2014
      65 Posts
      Posted: May 18, 2015, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

no i always tell myself ill take the annual payment . im bad with money so having a yearly check would be so much better for me. if i mess up one year ill have 20 plus  more payments to look forward to.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10356 Posts
        Posted: May 18, 2015, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

This is from 24/7 Wall St. I don't agree with it but here goes:

]Automatically decide to take the up-front cash. Supposedly some 70% of lottery winners end up broke again, many within a couple or few years. If you get $172 million up front, it may sound better than having to receive a payout of $300 million slowly over the course of a lifetime. After all, it is instant empire-making money. Go see a reputable and visible tax professional and a reputable investment advisor at a top money management firm with a widely recognized company name. This theme of "reputable and visible" will echo throughout.  Do this before you automatically make the decision about a lump-sum or annuity option.

Since this has been mentioned here on LP in the News, later on in the article is this:

Give away the whole enchilada. This is probably not the case for the vast majority of lottery players, but some people might want to give away just about all of their money to a charity or to their religious institution. You can be generous without doing the unthinkable. Imagine what you will feel like down the road when a serious crisis arises in your life or your family's life, knowing that you no longer had the means to change it. Should you be charitable? Absolutely! Should you give it all away? Absolutely not!

Read more: Twelve Things Not to Do If You Win the Lottery - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/08/02/twelve-things-not-to-do-if-you-win-the-lottery/#ixzz3aYFRZy8x
        Follow us: @247wallst on Twitter | 247wallst on Facebook

Read more: Twelve Things Not to Do If You Win the Lottery - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/08/02/twelve-things-not-to-do-if-you-win-the-lottery/#ixzz3aYEmBrE5

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: May 18, 2015, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

It doesn't matter as long as the prize is based on a cash amount.  The winner taking the cash or allowing the state to invest it in an annuity to be paid out over the next 20-30 years doesn't change that amount.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
            Member #131594
            August 14, 2012
            171 Posts
            Posted: May 18, 2015, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

For instance would you settle for the cash payout on a starting MM jackpot or take the Annuity. .Just because?

* Have a Great Week People: as always,  Stay Healthy. 

I used to be on the cash only bandwagon.  But, as we get closer to retirement, my strategy has changed somewhat.  Now I would take a big win...say $10 million and over before taxes cash value...as a lump sum and smaller amounts as an annuity.  It is all about how much of a revenue stream we can generate.  We are good with our money so I am not worried about blowing it.  I just want a enough money coming in every year that we can bid a not so fond farewell to the work a day world ASAP.

Lotto Lucy

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7325 Posts
              Posted: May 19, 2015, 12:22 am - IP Logged

The difference to me is being taxed once or 30 times and considering that a player who took an annuity from the PA Lottery last year, will be paying an extra 0.7% more in state taxes next year. Nobody in their right mind expects taxes to go down any time soon.

mrbg's avatar - NofVcy
                Nashville,TN
                United States
                Member #79101
                August 26, 2009
                11012 Posts
                Posted: May 19, 2015, 12:23 am - IP Logged

just like those commercials 

"It's my money and I need it now"

Lol. Cash money baby

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4111 Posts
                  Posted: May 19, 2015, 12:56 am - IP Logged

just like those commercials 

"It's my money and I need it now"

Lol. Cash money baby

Right- like expecting these guys to take Annuity payments for their fights..

Image result for mayweather with his money

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1186 Posts
                    Posted: May 19, 2015, 1:03 am - IP Logged

no i always tell myself ill take the annual payment . im bad with money so having a yearly check would be so much better for me. if i mess up one year ill have 20 plus  more payments to look forward to.

I take it you haven't heard about all the lottery winners who took the annuity and still went broke. Doesn't matter which payment method you take, if you can't budget you'll go broke regardless.

If that's your only reason for choosing the annuity, it would make more sense to take the cash and form a trust to only release $X to you per month.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                      Member #142499
                      May 13, 2013
                      1186 Posts
                      Posted: May 19, 2015, 1:10 am - IP Logged

For instance would you settle for the cash payout on a starting MM jackpot or take the Annuity. .Just because?

The only way I'd ever even consider taking a 30 year annuity is if I won both the PB and MM. I'd take the cash for one, annuity for the other. And even then I might take the cash on both.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10356 Posts
                        Posted: May 19, 2015, 2:32 am - IP Logged

How about those who take an annuity then decide they want the money and settle for pennies on the dollar with one of those 'cash now' companies?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                          Lavender Rocket

United States
                          Member #124616
                          March 16, 2012
                          2642 Posts
                          Posted: May 19, 2015, 2:46 am - IP Logged

I'm old enough to know the value of a dollar in my hand vs. the promise of more dollars tomorrow.

Cash is my choice, budgets are my weapon.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                            South Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #77167
                            July 15, 2009
                            556 Posts
                            Posted: May 19, 2015, 7:43 am - IP Logged

Cheers Cash

I Agree!

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                              South Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #77167
                              July 15, 2009
                              556 Posts
                              Posted: May 19, 2015, 7:54 am - IP Logged

Vinh Nguyen, who won 228.4 mil in PB last Sept in California, took the annuity. He was only 26 y/o, if I remember correctly.

For me it wd have to be cash. 

If I was 30 years younger I would take the annuity also. But since I'm well past that age I would take the cash.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar