Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Signing Tickets

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Teddi.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #166569
May 27, 2015
29 Posts
Posted: May 28, 2015, 9:46 am - IP Logged

I could swear I saw a thread regarding if you should sign your ticket in a state that allows blind trusts or if you should sign blind trust name.  I went back but couldn't find the thread so I could respond.   

Anyway, the reason I wanted to respond to it, is because I emailed Ohio Lottery about tickets that I purchase with my friend, who actually signs the tickets with his name.  I asked them what to do if we win, can we still do a blind trust, and they responded back, that the attorney that claims the blind trust for you, would sign a white out affadavit so that the attorney can white out the name and then put in the blind trust name.   

Sorry if this was covered, just thought I'd mention it based on response from Ohio Lottery.   

I wish I had the exact response, but can't find the email I got back from them.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
    Happy California
    United States
    Member #157856
    August 2, 2014
    1506 Posts
    Posted: May 28, 2015, 10:47 am - IP Logged

"white out affadavit" that is a new one to me. Thanks. 

Of course I would also think that each State is different.

Welcome to Lottery Post Pbwsoon shawn

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

United States
      Member #166569
      May 27, 2015
      29 Posts
      Posted: May 28, 2015, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Music...I see you are from sunny Cali.  I grew up in San Diego county.  Sure miss the weather, but not the crowds.

Yes, I don't know if other states have the same rule or option, especially if you can claim with a blind trust.   I emailed response to my future lottery attorney because when I asked him, he wasn't sure or couldn't give me a clear answer.  Yes, I have an attorney all picked out for when we win.   Have to think positive and even if we never win, well, had fun trying.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #77167
        July 15, 2009
        554 Posts
        Posted: May 28, 2015, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

google " if lottery winnings go to a trust how should the ticket be signed"

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

United States
          Member #166569
          May 27, 2015
          29 Posts
          Posted: May 28, 2015, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, did that but didn't find any definite answers, or no clear answers, it was much easier to get the answer straight from the horses mouth (ie Ohio State Lottery Commission).  I don't play in other states, so I haven't bothered with them.   Essentially, my question was if my friend signs the ticket, can we still do a blind trust to protect both our identities, and you can't really get a straight answer on that one using google.   Again, it is all about getting it from the horses mouth.

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
            nc
            United States
            Member #99520
            October 26, 2010
            375 Posts
            Posted: May 29, 2015, 9:11 am - IP Logged

My tckets go usigned into my safe deposit box.  Should I actually win, photo copies at the reDy, would go to an attorney to sort out the legalities and how to properly sign the ticket.  That way, there is no mistake.  Of course, it is vulnerable until it is put in the safe deposit box...  But since i usually buy several draws at a time i visit the box about once a month to put new tickets in and take old tickets out.

good luvk to you, may your dream come true.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4783 Posts
              Posted: May 31, 2015, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

I have never heard the term white out affadavit and it is contradactory. If anyone is signing an affadavit, any white outs or cross outs will void the affadavit.

J'aime La France.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                Happyland
                United States
                Member #146344
                September 1, 2013
                1129 Posts
                Posted: May 31, 2015, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

In some states it doesn't matter if you claim under a trust, the attorney who claims for you will be required to provide information that identifies who has interests in the trust. This is how the Hot Lotto swindler got nailed. They wouldn't let his attorney claim under the Belize trust without coughing up more info

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19816 Posts
                  Posted: June 1, 2015, 9:08 am - IP Logged

Thanks Music...I see you are from sunny Cali.  I grew up in San Diego county.  Sure miss the weather, but not the crowds.

Yes, I don't know if other states have the same rule or option, especially if you can claim with a blind trust.   I emailed response to my future lottery attorney because when I asked him, he wasn't sure or couldn't give me a clear answer.  Yes, I have an attorney all picked out for when we win.   Have to think positive and even if we never win, well, had fun trying.

"I emailed response to my future lottery attorney because when I asked him, he wasn't sure or couldn't give me a clear answer." 

How is your future attorney being paid presently? Is he working on the contingencies of you winning in the future? If you find a better attorney in the future if you actually win, you may be stucked with paying him regardless.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #166569
                    May 27, 2015
                    29 Posts
                    Posted: June 1, 2015, 10:49 am - IP Logged

Regarding Affadavit question above, sorry I forgot to check to add the quote. 

I don't know about that, I am just telling you what Ohio Lottery commission told me.   If you email Ohio Lottery commission they might be able to answer that question for you, otherwise, I am just reporting what I was told by them.

United States
                      Member #166569
                      May 27, 2015
                      29 Posts
                      Posted: June 1, 2015, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Regarding LottoMetro statement, again, sorry forgot to check to add quote.   Slightly different here than another site I frequent that automatically adds the quote.   I will get used to it.

Yep.  A blind trust protects your identity except for from a few at lottery who has to make sure you don't owe back taxes and child support.   A blind trust is still beneficial as a layer of protection from the community knowing though.  Thanks,

United States
                        Member #166569
                        May 27, 2015
                        29 Posts
                        Posted: June 1, 2015, 10:56 am - IP Logged

Regarding RJoh question: 

Just to clarify, I have him picked out (keeping a positive attitude), and have actually asked him a question or two for verification about blind trusts, (as he has represented lottery players and blind trusts in the past), and when I asked him if I need to pay him for his time, he said no.   So, until he hears from me, I am not paying him.   Hopefully I will be able to retain him in the future, or I hope someone on here gets the opportunity to retain an attorney for a big win.   Good luck all.

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7295 Posts
                          Posted: June 1, 2015, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Regarding RJoh question: 

Just to clarify, I have him picked out (keeping a positive attitude), and have actually asked him a question or two for verification about blind trusts, (as he has represented lottery players and blind trusts in the past), and when I asked him if I need to pay him for his time, he said no.   So, until he hears from me, I am not paying him.   Hopefully I will be able to retain him in the future, or I hope someone on here gets the opportunity to retain an attorney for a big win.   Good luck all.

"(as he has represented lottery players and blind trusts in the past)"

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/286995

Did your future attorney explain why you need a blind trust?

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                            Member #142499
                            May 13, 2013
                            1182 Posts
                            Posted: June 1, 2015, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Regarding RJoh question: 

Are you willing to share his name? Email it if you don't want to broadcast it.

Also, I like Avvo.com for finding out legal info. You can post a question and have attorneys answer. Both local and national.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.