Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millons or Powerball or Uberball

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 1 year ago by noise-gate.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Which Jackpot game do you prefer?

Mega Millions [ 4 ]  [30.77%]
Powerball [ 7 ]  [53.85%]
Only JJ plays Uberball [ 2 ]  [15.38%]
Total Valid Votes [ 13 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #165541
April 12, 2015
545 Posts
Posted: June 3, 2015, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

I was checking out the payout for the Jackpot games.  And I must admit that LottoMetro, has been influencing my thinking with his "inside knowledge" of a matrix change in Powerball.  I dont see how making a game harder is good for business. 

But I got to thinking, It appears that the prize currently to match five numbers in both MegaMillions AND in Powerball is the same!!  One million dollars.

So the question is 

Why would you play one line at $2 to win ONE MILLION dollars in Powerball

when you could play two lines at $1 to win ONE MILLION dollars in MegaMillions?

So far Mega Millions has has the ALL TIME highest Jackpot prize and Powerball is a close second. 

Somebody enlighten me!  Why do I even want to play PB anyway?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19828 Posts
    Posted: June 3, 2015, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

You obviously haven't looked at the odds of winning a million dollars in each game.  For a $2 PB ticket they are 1:5,138,133 and for a $1 MM ticket they are 1:18,492,204.

What you should be asking : Is buying a $2 ticket with odds of 1:5M of winning $1M a better deal than buying two $1 tickets with odds 1:9.2M of winning $1M?

I gave my answer in another thread to the same question.  You might be surprised why players think  one or the other is the better deal.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7313 Posts
      Posted: June 3, 2015, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

You obviously haven't looked at the odds of winning a million dollars in each game.  For a $2 PB ticket they are 1:5,138,133 and for a $1 MM ticket they are 1:18,492,204.

What you should be asking : Is buying a $2 ticket with odds of 1:5M of winning $1M a better deal than buying two $1 tickets with odds 1:9.2M of winning $1M?

I gave my answer in another thread to the same question.  You might be surprised why players think  one or the other is the better deal.

A case can be made that for an extra buck, MM players can win $5 million while PB players are limited to $2 million.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: June 4, 2015, 12:20 am - IP Logged

SilverLion,

I voted Powerball, until it expands the matrix too. Then I'm not sure.

As of right now for people going for 5 + 0 MM is a better play as with the megaplier 5 + 0 is $2 - $5 million, Powerball with the power play is $2 million and that is that.

Nice touch with the 3rd option.

Smile

PS,

LottoMetro is a female.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19828 Posts
          Posted: June 4, 2015, 2:17 am - IP Logged

SilverLion,

I voted Powerball, until it expands the matrix too. Then I'm not sure.

As of right now for people going for 5 + 0 MM is a better play as with the megaplier 5 + 0 is $2 - $5 million, Powerball with the power play is $2 million and that is that.

Nice touch with the 3rd option.

Smile

PS,

LottoMetro is a female.

"Smile

PS,

LottoMetro is a female."

Does gender matter in a lottery discussion?

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19828 Posts
            Posted: June 4, 2015, 2:22 am - IP Logged

A case can be made that for an extra buck, MM players can win $5 million while PB players are limited to $2 million.

If you're talking about only winning $1-$5M, a case can be made for playing one of the many state lotteries instead.

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10351 Posts
              Posted: June 4, 2015, 2:49 am - IP Logged

"Smile

PS,

LottoMetro is a female."

It might matter to the person being referred to.

Let someone say "RJOh she...." and you'd be the first to correct them.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                Member #164603
                March 8, 2015
                612 Posts
                Posted: June 4, 2015, 8:46 am - IP Logged

"Is buying a $2 ticket with odds of 1:5M of winning $1M a better deal than buying two $1 tickets with odds 1:9.2M of winning $1M?"

But isn't that a fallacy? If my odds are 1:18mil with one ticket and 1:9mil with two tickets, wouldn't my odds then be 1:560 000 if I buy 32 tickets?

United States
                  Member #165541
                  April 12, 2015
                  545 Posts
                  Posted: June 5, 2015, 2:21 am - IP Logged

"Is buying a $2 ticket with odds of 1:5M of winning $1M a better deal than buying two $1 tickets with odds 1:9.2M of winning $1M?"

But isn't that a fallacy? If my odds are 1:18mil with one ticket and 1:9mil with two tickets, wouldn't my odds then be 1:560 000 if I buy 32 tickets?

But isn't that a fallacy? If my odds are 1:18mil with one ticket and 1:9mil with two tickets, wouldn't my odds then be 1:560 000 if I buy 32 tickets

I never buy 32 tickets so I dont know.

But take the last draws winning numebers.

If I played  2  9  11  24  25.

I could then wheel my combos with 2 9 11 22 23.

The extra dollar could have a potential strategic effect, whatever the stated odds may be.

Nice choice of word with fallacy.

There is so much LP history and nostalgia there.

United States
                    Member #165541
                    April 12, 2015
                    545 Posts
                    Posted: June 5, 2015, 2:26 am - IP Logged

"Smile

PS,

LottoMetro is a female."

Only if you were perhaps the "artist" athlete formerly known as Bruce, and you put down $500 on a wheel with Maddogs numbers.

My apologies to LottoMetro.

Metro sounds so metrosexual.  Seems male to me. But I can be wrong.  My lottery history proves that.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19828 Posts
                      Posted: June 5, 2015, 7:18 am - IP Logged

It's just a working theory assuming you aren't buying the same numbers on both tickets.  Obviously your odds would remain the same if you brought 18M tickets with the same combinations rather than with all the possible combinations.  The true answer lies some where in between those two extremes.

Evil Looking       

United States
                        Member #165541
                        April 12, 2015
                        545 Posts
                        Posted: June 11, 2015, 2:17 am - IP Logged

It's just a working theory assuming you aren't buying the same numbers on both tickets.  Obviously your odds would remain the same if you brought 18M tickets with the same combinations rather than with all the possible combinations.  The true answer lies some where in between those two extremes.

The true answer lies some where in between those two extremes.

Are you referring to the normal distribution?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4108 Posts
                          Posted: June 13, 2015, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

Only if you were perhaps the "artist" athlete formerly known as Bruce, and you put down $500 on a wheel with Maddogs numbers.

My apologies to LottoMetro.

Metro sounds so metrosexual.  Seems male to me. But I can be wrong.  My lottery history proves that.

PB odds are better for now- end of story.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.