Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 9:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Beginning Jackpots...

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 2 years ago by darthfury78.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #164725
March 12, 2015
365 Posts
Posted: June 4, 2015, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

We've got two of them: MM at 15 mil and PB at 40 mil.

With the odds so high and the winnings so low, I wouldn't buy a MM ticket.

With better odds and a higher jackpot but double the cost of the ticket, is PB much better? 

I always look at the second place winnings which vary from around 300k to several million in Calif.  I was also influenced by the run of about 5 PB jackpots in a period of about 4-5 weeks earlier this spring. I would be more than happy to walk away with a $40 mil jackpot.  Wink

So, this morning I bought a PB ticket. LOL

Arizona
    United States
    Member #165073
    March 24, 2015
    220 Posts
    Posted: June 4, 2015, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Given the inconvenience of getting to even the nearest lottery retailer, I generally buy a week's worth of tickets at a time. So, since I didn't know whether there would be a winner on Tuesday, I already have my MM ticket for Friday.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #77167
      July 15, 2009
      569 Posts
      Posted: June 4, 2015, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

I have 5 tickets for Friday's MM drawing--replaying some from Tuesday's drawing.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

Wyomissing, PA
        United States
        Member #161050
        November 15, 2014
        301 Posts
        Posted: June 4, 2015, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

Took 10 weeks for MM and 6 weeks for PB to build up. Many MM / PB players will sit out June and much of July. Being the summer is often slow, it will likely take until August before the jackpots build back up to the levels they were recently.

California 2nd tier winners often get hosed badly, especially with MM. Sure, there are instances in which CA 2nd tier winners make out great (ie. $7+ million on a win that pays $1 million elsewhere), but those are few and far between - most often, they're lucky to win even close to $1 million.

United States
          Member #106134
          February 13, 2011
          806 Posts
          Posted: June 4, 2015, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

Buy PB tickets for sure!  After taxes are taken out the MM prize is pretty much just chump change.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
            United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3857 Posts
            Posted: June 4, 2015, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

The beginning JP on either is fine w/ me.

But I don't have any MM tix. on my last trip to Delaware I bought 10 advance draw on PB and MM

when I got home I realized the clerk had given me 10 PB draws but on the MM tix.

he gave me 6 draws w/ the 6th having 5 lines on separate tix. so no MM for now.

Still have 4 PB draws to go.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4146 Posts
              Posted: June 4, 2015, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

Personal: l take a pass on the starting MM jackpot. I dive in with the starting PB though. Odds are somewhat " better" ...well, less atrocious, imho. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                Texas
                United States
                Member #55889
                October 23, 2007
                5761 Posts
                Posted: June 4, 2015, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

Just got my MM tic for tomorrow with megaplier. 4 or 5 million is enough to retire on. Jackpot most definately enough to retire on.

Also got a PB tic for Saturday. No powerplay. Can't retire on 1 million, or 2, but...... it would set me up and the cash jackpot of 25 million is way more than enough.

For those that think either one is not enough....I'll take it in a New York minute.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

LuckySmalls's avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
                  Arizona
                  United States
                  Member #163317
                  January 26, 2015
                  11 Posts
                  Posted: June 4, 2015, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

I usually play atleast one or two MM, even when its a starter jackpot just to be to be in it and also I have had lucky results when only playing on or two at a time. Haven't got my PB ticket yet, but will.

I went to the local gas station to get two fantasy five tickets and instead the clerk gave me to MM, I took them anyway and didn't end up getting fantasy five tickets until today. I always think the misprints are lucky, even if they turn out to be losers, it gives me a great amount of hope and sometimes I think that manifests, it has before.

After taxes, both federal and state, here the MM jackpot take home amount is 6.3 mil. Which isn't a lot considering all the other amounts someone could win, but if I won it I wouldn't complain because I can retire very early in life and start my business ventures. I wouldn't completely retire on 6.3 million to be honest, I have too many great ideas to venture in, and I could use my own ideas for my own businesses. That would be pretty cool to do.

Taking annuity wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Quit while you’re ahead. All the best gamblers do. -Baltasar Gracián y Morales

Arizona
                    United States
                    Member #165073
                    March 24, 2015
                    220 Posts
                    Posted: June 4, 2015, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

Buy PB tickets for sure!  After taxes are taken out the MM prize is pretty much just chump change.

Roll Eyes

If you win the beginning MM jackpot, and take the annuity, your income for the next 30 years will be higher than 96% of American households. You may not be filthy rich, but as long as you don't get carried away, you should be able to live comfortably for the rest of your life.

United States
                      Member #164725
                      March 12, 2015
                      365 Posts
                      Posted: June 4, 2015, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

They only hold back 25% for federal taxes but the taxes owed are going to be a lot more.

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
                        Member #165244
                        March 30, 2015
                        229 Posts
                        Posted: June 4, 2015, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

Maybe I will switch to PB for a bit. Been doing MM for the past month and havent gotten one number...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10391 Posts
                          Posted: June 4, 2015, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

With MM at the start point now would be the ideal tie to win it since Tuesday's - June 2 2015- hasn't claimed their jp yet.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Arizona
                            United States
                            Member #165073
                            March 24, 2015
                            220 Posts
                            Posted: June 4, 2015, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

They only hold back 25% for federal taxes but the taxes owed are going to be a lot more.

Actually, no. If you take the annuity, you're nowhere near the top tax bracket, and (depending on your deductions) you'll owe little or nothing beyond what's automatically withheld.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                              Member #164603
                              March 8, 2015
                              645 Posts
                              Posted: June 5, 2015, 8:15 am - IP Logged

MM cash value would be very close to 9m$ for me, I could live very comfortably on that.