Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How the Lottery Changed my Life

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 1 year ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
Happy California
United States
Member #157856
August 2, 2014
1522 Posts
Posted: June 10, 2015, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Xfinity's DFCH   Channel #121  This episode tells the tale of a Mother of 5 in Florida. It begins at 6pm PST and repeats at 9pm PST.

Sorry about the late notice. I am battling bronchitis.

Enjoy !!Party

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

United States
    Member #149820
    December 9, 2013
    644 Posts
    Posted: June 10, 2015, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

Direct tv channel 294. Got it set to record. Island dreamers comes on same time next Wed.

Happy California
      United States
      Member #157856
      August 2, 2014
      1522 Posts
      Posted: June 10, 2015, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

Thank You Shelby Mustang !!  I will watch it next Wednesday.Smile

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40609 Posts
        Posted: June 11, 2015, 7:47 am - IP Logged

Xfinity's DFCH   Channel #121  This episode tells the tale of a Mother of 5 in Florida. It begins at 6pm PST and repeats at 9pm PST.

Enjoy !!Party

Hope you feel better and Thanks.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Happy California
          United States
          Member #157856
          August 2, 2014
          1522 Posts
          Posted: June 11, 2015, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Thank You sully16 for your kind thoughts and wishes.  I hope you win the Big one soon.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
            Texas Panhandle
            United States
            Member #136843
            December 20, 2012
            1284 Posts
            Posted: June 12, 2015, 8:35 am - IP Logged

Hope you get to feeling better;  it's probably from all that splintering...or maybe lack OF -  y'know, withdrawals. Wink

My fav. TLCML segment was the "Motel Millionaire", Jim Gatzke - he's the one who had lost his folks a few yrs. before, was unemployed, picked up cans to cash in and as I recall,  spent some of his very last money on a lottery ticket.  He was living in his folk's old run-down house w/ no utilities when he won 5.5 million.  The state didn't want to pay him at first, claiming he might be mentally incompetent.  He was lucky enough to have a good friend who helped him get the money from the state and then protect his new-found fortune from those who would take advantage of him (he opted for the annuity and didn't take risks with his money, putting most of his yearly check into a savings acct. paying very little interest)  Other than a few cars & trips, he hadn't bought anything extravagant.  He lived in the motel f/ about $250/wk and ate out every day, always buying an extra steak for the stray cats which lived in a junkyard next to his pal's business. Out of all the winners on the show, I think I'd most like to see a follow-up on him;  it's made me think that, sure, winning the lottery could make you happy, but it really doesn't take all that much to keep you happy.   No money worries, a good friend who sincerely cares about you, eat out when you want, some cats...and you don't even have to make your bed.   Sounds good to me.

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              Ft. Washington, MD
              United States
              Member #159267
              September 20, 2014
              123 Posts
              Posted: June 12, 2015, 9:13 am - IP Logged

Hope you get to feeling better;  it's probably from all that splintering...or maybe lack OF -  y'know, withdrawals. Wink

My fav. TLCML segment was the "Motel Millionaire", Jim Gatzke - he's the one who had lost his folks a few yrs. before, was unemployed, picked up cans to cash in and as I recall,  spent some of his very last money on a lottery ticket.  He was living in his folk's old run-down house w/ no utilities when he won 5.5 million.  The state didn't want to pay him at first, claiming he might be mentally incompetent.  He was lucky enough to have a good friend who helped him get the money from the state and then protect his new-found fortune from those who would take advantage of him (he opted for the annuity and didn't take risks with his money, putting most of his yearly check into a savings acct. paying very little interest)  Other than a few cars & trips, he hadn't bought anything extravagant.  He lived in the motel f/ about $250/wk and ate out every day, always buying an extra steak for the stray cats which lived in a junkyard next to his pal's business. Out of all the winners on the show, I think I'd most like to see a follow-up on him;  it's made me think that, sure, winning the lottery could make you happy, but it really doesn't take all that much to keep you happy.   No money worries, a good friend who sincerely cares about you, eat out when you want, some cats...and you don't even have to make your bed.   Sounds good to me.

Well mike, it's different strokes for different folks. What makes each winner happy and grounded is different from everybody else. Mr. Gatzke preferred to stick with what he knows and it's good to see that he did not end up like Abraham Lee Shakesphere. Guy like him it could have happened.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                Texas Panhandle
                United States
                Member #136843
                December 20, 2012
                1284 Posts
                Posted: June 12, 2015, 9:30 am - IP Logged

Well mike, it's different strokes for different folks. What makes each winner happy and grounded is different from everybody else. Mr. Gatzke preferred to stick with what he knows and it's good to see that he did not end up like Abraham Lee Shakesphere. Guy like him it could have happened.

Well, sure...I know that as well as anyone, esp. after reading a thousand posts in here about what folks would do w/ their winnings.  Thinking about that segment has made me re-evaluate what I always thought I'd do if I won.  I doubt I'd move into a motel, but my priorities have changed as I've grown older.

Shakespeare had no family support - unless you want to call bloodsuckers "support" -  and he was sued by his best friend for a share of the winnings and as you know, a woman he befriended killed him.  Cases like his are the extremely rare exception, not the rule and if you win the lottery you have more to fear from your family and "friends" than you do total strangers.

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                  Ft. Washington, MD
                  United States
                  Member #159267
                  September 20, 2014
                  123 Posts
                  Posted: June 12, 2015, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

Well, sure...I know that as well as anyone, esp. after reading a thousand posts in here about what folks would do w/ their winnings.  Thinking about that segment has made me re-evaluate what I always thought I'd do if I won.  I doubt I'd move into a motel, but my priorities have changed as I've grown older.

Shakespeare had no family support - unless you want to call bloodsuckers "support" -  and he was sued by his best friend for a share of the winnings and as you know, a woman he befriended killed him.  Cases like his are the extremely rare exception, not the rule and if you win the lottery you have more to fear from your family and "friends" than you do total strangers.

oh yes i know something about that one. Having to fear family and friends more than total strangers. The ones closest to you who know how to find you are the biggest problems you are going to face. But i am not one to worry too much about it. I got a handle on mine. I ain't going to let them bring me down. Trust me.Wink

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    6290 Posts
                    Posted: June 12, 2015, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

Enjoy !!Party

Thanks for the info, I hope you feel better I had bronchitis last month the week of my birthday and it was not fun.

I Love Pink & Green 1908