Welcome Guest
You last visited October 22, 2017, 10:31 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Unclaimed winning tickets

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 2 years ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
Ft. Washington, MD
United States
Member #159267
September 20, 2014
123 Posts
Posted: June 10, 2015, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

Recently i watched an episode of TLCML still lucky and there was a stat that stated that hundreds of millions of dollars of winning tickets go unclaimed every year. Boy, i had to laugh at that stat because to me it sounds like an eye popping gimmick to draw in more people to play the jackpot games. I am sure most of you here on LP would recognize that the vast majority of winning ticks are actually low tier 1,2, or 7 dollar winners that most people say oh what the heck and don't bother to cash them. The truth is most big jackpot wins don't go unclaimed. Those wins are hard to miss. The lottery folks don't really want to say what the real breakdown of those unclaimed ticks.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    4091 Posts
    Posted: June 11, 2015, 8:33 am - IP Logged

You're right, but like all stats the first thing I think is, it's skewered.

Also lot of players don't even know about the lower tier prizes,

they think there's only the JP and when they hear it hit elsewhere don't even check their tix.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Ft. Washington, MD
      United States
      Member #159267
      September 20, 2014
      123 Posts
      Posted: June 11, 2015, 9:21 am - IP Logged

You're right, but like all stats the first thing I think is, it's skewered.

Also lot of players don't even know about the lower tier prizes,

they think there's only the JP and when they hear it hit elsewhere don't even check their tix.

I never thought about people not knowing what the low tier prizes are. Those 5,000 and 10,000 dollar winners shouldn't be thrown out. Reminds me of another story on the show about Abraham Shakesphere. I didn't know about him and that he was black. Poor man couldn't read or write. Couldn't grasp how much his money was worth. In the end he was murdered. Sad Sad story. Frown You just can't be too trusting of people.

music*'s avatar - bee
        Fresno California
        United States
        Member #157856
        August 2, 2014
        1905 Posts
        Posted: June 11, 2015, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

About trusting people....  When you win BIG then you can spend some coin properly checking out the backgrounds of all you hire and before you hire them.

I agree with your comments about Abraham Lee Shakespeare.   I can only hope that he is looking down on us and laughing his way through the pearly gates of Heaven.

Stay away from the news conference. As Don McNay, author of three lottery books says,"Do not flash your cash in public" Criminals watch the Lottery news conferences. Need I say more.

Keep the good times rolling !!!  White Bounce

Bondi Junction
          Australia
          Member #57242
          December 24, 2007
          1102 Posts
          Posted: June 13, 2015, 9:53 am - IP Logged

Dec 2012

More than £1.4 billion of 

More than £1.4 billion of National Lottery winnings have gone unclaimed since the game began 18 years ago, new figures revealed.

Lotto players are letting huge jackpots slip through their fingers at an average rate of £75 million every year.

The figures emerged just days after the largest-ever unclaimed prize of £63,837,543,60 from a winning EuroMillions ticket went to good causes.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!