Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can I be anonymous when I win in California?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Redd55.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: July 1, 2015, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

GENERAL FAQS

Can I be anonymous when I win?

California state law requires that the California State Lottery release the winner’s name and the name and location of the retailer where the winning ticket was bought.

calottery.com/contact-us/contact-us-faqs

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

homestead
    United States
    Member #158182
    August 14, 2014
    132 Posts
    Posted: July 2, 2015, 1:43 am - IP Logged

GENERAL FAQS

California state law requires that the California State Lottery release the winner’s name and the name and location of the retailer where the winning ticket was bought.

Only if you play your states Pick-3 or Pick-4 lottery as there are so many winners that you can blend into the crowd. But if the average prize of your state lottery is $2 Million, just buy either $400 worth of Pick-4 same set of numbers straight on each ticket ot $4K on Pick-3 using the same method. If you win, you can chose to be anonymous.

Bondi Junction
      Australia
      Member #57242
      December 24, 2007
      1102 Posts
      Posted: July 2, 2015, 6:16 am - IP Logged

If you live in California, please contact your Governor and local politicians. Let them know that it is very dangerous for winners to have their identities revealed to the general public.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49758 Posts
        Posted: July 2, 2015, 8:47 am - IP Logged

GENERAL FAQS

As soon as another person knows, it is no longer private. This is an interesting read for all those interested in personal privacy: http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/rightofprivacy.html

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Bondi Junction
          Australia
          Member #57242
          December 24, 2007
          1102 Posts
          Posted: July 2, 2015, 9:58 am - IP Logged

As soon as another person knows, it is no longer private. This is an interesting read for all those interested in personal privacy: http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/rightofprivacy.html

It is one thing if some people know about the win. In the past, the news would be in the local paper. Today, the information is available online to all around the world. The internet makes the issue of anonymity more important than ever.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49758 Posts
            Posted: July 2, 2015, 11:27 am - IP Logged

It is one thing if some people know about the win. In the past, the news would be in the local paper. Today, the information is available online to all around the world. The internet makes the issue of anonymity more important than ever.

With Global Privacy in mind one should refer to the United Nations Position on Privacy: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
              Happy California
              United States
              Member #157856
              August 2, 2014
              1515 Posts
              Posted: July 2, 2015, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

In California you have the right to refuse the press conference. Your name will be released.  Along with how much you won and where you purchased the ticket. Was the ticket a quick pick or self pick ?   Plus, did you choose the lump sum or annuity payments. All this is still too much in my opinion.

The Lottery Commission will be able to post a photo of the ticket with your name under it. 

They will also ask if they can release other information about yourself that you talked to them about. They need your permission to do this.

So, it will be difficult to keep your photo out of the press . All it takes is one person talking.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4108 Posts
                Posted: July 2, 2015, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

That is why l buy ALL my tickets in neighboring Cities.  If l am the winner, l am collecting my money through a Trust. I may even call the trust the "Hot bunny Trust" to keep nosy neighbors & the press out of my business. If asked why the "Hot Bunny Trust" - my attorney could say that this winner was " part owner" of a B*****l in Nevada and has now been on the straight & narrow.  No one wants to dig into the past of a Brot...owner. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Bondi Junction
                  Australia
                  Member #57242
                  December 24, 2007
                  1102 Posts
                  Posted: July 2, 2015, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

You may contact Governor Jerry Brown by mail at:

Mailing address:

Governor Jerry Brown

c/o State Capitol, Suite 1173

Sacramento, CA 95814

Phone: (916) 445-2841 

Fax: (916) 558-3160

Email the Governor at link below:

govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php

United States
                    Member #164725
                    March 12, 2015
                    341 Posts
                    Posted: July 3, 2015, 10:16 am - IP Logged

Since it is free publicity for the lottery, dont expect them to change the rules unless someone gets murdered because of it. 

I also wonder about the names of winners being flashed on all the computer screens in every place selling tickets.  I think they do it for at least a year - maybe more.  How's that for being intrusive! 

But look at the upside - you win a jackpot you will be long gone. Yes Nod

United States
                      Member #135804
                      November 29, 2012
                      318 Posts
                      Posted: July 3, 2015, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

If you have a common name and live in big city as opposed to a small town or suburb, you're practically anonymous.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4108 Posts
                        Posted: July 3, 2015, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

If you have a common name and live in big city as opposed to a small town or suburb, you're practically anonymous.

I Agree!...The Only name that is the Safest out there is if a jackpot winner is of the Sikh Religion. Every male is named Singh, and there are thousands in the Bay Area. If one of these folk won a $500 mil jackpot - l guarantee you that the press would be pulling out their hair in attempts to track this winner down. It's downright near impossible unless someone started talking, other than that: it's bulletproof.   

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                          Member #65961
                          October 11, 2008
                          162 Posts
                          Posted: July 5, 2015, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Every now and then this question pops up about CA.... And I realize the answer is way buried in Lottery Post archives....

I contacted the CA lottery and asked that question and they explained that they will honor a request of anonymity but the individual would have to contact lottery officials for the request at the time they turn in the ticket.

There have been a few winners in CA who were able to collect jackpot winnings without revealing their identity.

United States
                            Member #164725
                            March 12, 2015
                            341 Posts
                            Posted: July 5, 2015, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

Every now and then this question pops up about CA.... And I realize the answer is way buried in Lottery Post archives....

I contacted the CA lottery and asked that question and they explained that they will honor a request of anonymity but the individual would have to contact lottery officials for the request at the time they turn in the ticket.

There have been a few winners in CA who were able to collect jackpot winnings without revealing their identity.

In the witness protection program?

Hiding from a psycho stalker and have police reports/restraining orders to prove it?

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                              Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #94283
                              July 17, 2010
                              2284 Posts
                              Posted: July 6, 2015, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

I thought I remembered a huge JP winner getting anonymity in CA several years ago.  Good on them!  That's one California thing I wish would seep over into Idaho.  Big Grin