Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Special Circumstance Anonymity Protection?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 1 year ago by LottoLucy.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1186 Posts
Posted: July 6, 2015, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Okay, so recently we've seen two instances where a person was allowed to remain anonymous when the rules say you're identity must be revealed. One was in the U.S. and one was Canada (I think...can't really remember off the top of my head).

I also know that at least one LP member has posted that they've contacted a lawyer specializing in windfalls/lottery wins to pose hypothetical questions of what to do in the event of a win. Considering those factors I hope someone will be able to answer this question since it's a question that I think is a good one and brings an ethical slant on things.

What happens if a woman who has been abused and had to find refuge in a battered women's shelter or somewhere else wins the lottery and for her own safety needs to remain anonymous? Would (or should) the lottery commission comply with keeping her real name out of the media? We are not talking about a person in witness protection because they get their names changed. Abused women who manage to escape their abusers rarely do, they usually just move out of the city or state.

I know that others have said that since we don't have an actual incident of harm being done to a winner their names should be published, but what happens if publishing their name will definitely lead to their whereabouts being known to their abuser and will put their lives in imminent danger. Please note that restraining orders usually mean nothing to these types of abusers. A 90 day reprieve of publishing their names would not help in this case either. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: July 6, 2015, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Why would anyone abused or not after winning a lottery jackpot be staying in a shelter?  New homes in gated communities with armed guards are available to anyone with money.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4111 Posts
      Posted: July 6, 2015, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Look up the case of Holly Lahti $ 190 Mil MM Winner from Idaho- Teddi...

Her husband had this to say at the time..

Soon after Lahti's win, media reports revealed that the 29-year-old mother of two had an estranged husband, Josh, who'd abused her in 2003 and was pursuing (what he deemed to be) his share of her new pile of cash.

"That's awesome!" Josh told the Associated Press when he initially learned of Holly's winnings. "I won't have to pay child support!"

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
        Member #142499
        May 13, 2013
        1186 Posts
        Posted: July 6, 2015, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

Why would anyone abused or not after winning a lottery jackpot be staying in a shelter?  New homes in gated communities with armed guards are available to anyone with money.

I may have phrased that incorrectly. I didn't mean she would stay at the shelter AFTER  she won, but that she was at the shelter WHEN she won. Meaning she's hiding out in a safe place where her abuser can't get to her. Maybe a shelter, maybe a friend or relative, maybe an extended motel.

Look at what happened to Gloria. She didn't want a press conference but the lottery called the press while she was doing the paperwork and she got waylaid outside the office. She was stalked by the media for weeks and even after the media frenzy wore down it was reported which hotel she was staying at and where she was building a house to live in. A winner can get a house in a guard patrolled and gated community, but they will have to leave their compound at some point and their abuser will simply have to wait them out. You would not believe the horror stories of how some of these women are stalked.

United States
          Member #164725
          March 12, 2015
          343 Posts
          Posted: July 6, 2015, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

Unless there is a legal separation, the abuser may be entitled to part of the money and you cant use anonymity to avoid paying.

What you do is use proof of your winnings to negotiate a loan and use the loan to get out of town and somewhere safe.  You hire attys and accts to act as intermediaries.  In 60 days, you are home free.  You purchase property thru a trust and no one wll know where you live.  All you do is enjoy your new wealth.

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1186 Posts
            Posted: July 6, 2015, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

Look up the case of Holly Lahti $ 190 Mil MM Winner from Idaho- Teddi...

Her husband had this to say at the time..

Soon after Lahti's win, media reports revealed that the 29-year-old mother of two had an estranged husband, Josh, who'd abused her in 2003 and was pursuing (what he deemed to be) his share of her new pile of cash.

"That's awesome!" Josh told the Associated Press when he initially learned of Holly's winnings. "I won't have to pay child support!"

Well obviously he's an @$$. He wanted money and wanted to get out of financially supporting his kids, but she wasn't hiding from him, at least it doesn't appear she was.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a woman who has quit her job, packed up in the middle of the night and fled from her abuser type of scenario.

I've met women who took off at 40 weeks pregnant and hopped a Greyhound to as far as they could afford to go, they were that afraid. Others who gave up their marital home and left with only the clothes on their backs so they wouldn't arouse suspicion by packing a suitcase. If a person who was in that situation won, would the lottery feel obligated to keep their identities from the press, regardless of the jackpot size?

United States
              Member #164725
              March 12, 2015
              343 Posts
              Posted: July 6, 2015, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

By the time  s/he found out about the winning, the jackpot winner can be long gone. All other matters, including picking up the check and transferring to banks, can be handled by his/her legal representatives.

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                nc
                United States
                Member #99520
                October 26, 2010
                375 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2015, 3:46 am - IP Logged

First off, without a court order in place, the "victim" does not get any special priviledges. Anyone can claim they are an abused person to try to get an excemption, but the burden of proof is on that person.

two, you need to go to that state's rules.  When only about 12 - 30 winners a year for the PB And MM jackpots combined, the chances are so low, wspecialy with the change coming oct 1, thefe really is no need to hash this out.

If you win then consult an attorney! This is a legality question.  Until then, all the best to you. If you or someone you love are in an abusive siruation, I hope you can safely find help!  Dont be wasted your money on a dream when you need it to get out!

good luck to you!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49835 Posts
                  Posted: July 7, 2015, 6:09 am - IP Logged

First off, without a court order in place, the "victim" does not get any special priviledges. Anyone can claim they are an abused person to try to get an excemption, but the burden of proof is on that person.

two, you need to go to that state's rules.  When only about 12 - 30 winners a year for the PB And MM jackpots combined, the chances are so low, wspecialy with the change coming oct 1, thefe really is no need to hash this out.

If you win then consult an attorney! This is a legality question.  Until then, all the best to you. If you or someone you love are in an abusive siruation, I hope you can safely find help!  Dont be wasted your money on a dream when you need it to get out!

good luck to you!

I Agree!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #150797
                    December 31, 2013
                    815 Posts
                    Posted: July 7, 2015, 6:26 am - IP Logged

Okay, so recently we've seen two instances where a person was allowed to remain anonymous when the rules say you're identity must be revealed. One was in the U.S. and one was Canada (I think...can't really remember off the top of my head).

I also know that at least one LP member has posted that they've contacted a lawyer specializing in windfalls/lottery wins to pose hypothetical questions of what to do in the event of a win. Considering those factors I hope someone will be able to answer this question since it's a question that I think is a good one and brings an ethical slant on things.

What happens if a woman who has been abused and had to find refuge in a battered women's shelter or somewhere else wins the lottery and for her own safety needs to remain anonymous? Would (or should) the lottery commission comply with keeping her real name out of the media? We are not talking about a person in witness protection because they get their names changed. Abused women who manage to escape their abusers rarely do, they usually just move out of the city or state.

I know that others have said that since we don't have an actual incident of harm being done to a winner their names should be published, but what happens if publishing their name will definitely lead to their whereabouts being known to their abuser and will put their lives in imminent danger. Please note that restraining orders usually mean nothing to these types of abusers. A 90 day reprieve of publishing their names would not help in this case either. 

"I know that others have said that since we don't have an actual incident of harm being done to a winner their names should be published..."

Here's one:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/lottery-winner-robbed-beaten-in-her-home-1.928490

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

United States
                      Member #142499
                      May 13, 2013
                      1186 Posts
                      Posted: July 7, 2015, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

good luck to you!

I do love it when someone posts on a lottery site that x and y chances are low so why bother discussing it. The chances of anything to do with the lottery are low and we discuss it anyway. What to buy, where to go, who to consult, how to share etc, so what's the difference? EVERYTHING is a hypothetical. 

Secondly, VICTIMS do get special privileges now even without a court order, so that's simply incorrect. It's an assumption people make which deviates from actual fact. As long as she can prove abuse and physical danger there are a whole host of laws in place to protect her from future harm, one of them is anonymity. Her name and address are protected without a court order. Can't vow it's the same in every state but there are three I know of that do provide that protection. In some cases she doesn't even need a police report which of course allows for abuses of the system but that's another topic.

United States
                        Member #142499
                        May 13, 2013
                        1186 Posts
                        Posted: July 7, 2015, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

"I know that others have said that since we don't have an actual incident of harm being done to a winner their names should be published..."

Here's one:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/lottery-winner-robbed-beaten-in-her-home-1.928490

Oh wow, thanks for this. So sad and preventable.

I don't think a day goes by that someone on LP posts that money makes people do crazy things. Couple that with someone who is already unstable and it doesn't take a too far leap of the mind to see the kind of problem that could come of this.

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3475 Posts
                          Posted: July 7, 2015, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

I do love it when someone posts on a lottery site that x and y chances are low so why bother discussing it. The chances of anything to do with the lottery are low and we discuss it anyway. What to buy, where to go, who to consult, how to share etc, so what's the difference? EVERYTHING is a hypothetical. 

Secondly, VICTIMS do get special privileges now even without a court order, so that's simply incorrect. It's an assumption people make which deviates from actual fact. As long as she can prove abuse and physical danger there are a whole host of laws in place to protect her from future harm, one of them is anonymity. Her name and address are protected without a court order. Can't vow it's the same in every state but there are three I know of that do provide that protection. In some cases she doesn't even need a police report which of course allows for abuses of the system but that's another topic.

"As long as she can prove abuse and physical danger there are a whole host of laws in place to protect her from future harm"

If you don't have (or haven't at least started the process of getting one) a restraining order, which is a court order, there's no rational reason for the lottery to provide special treatment. Even with a restraining order there's little reason that abuse should qualify as a reason to withhold the winner's name. If somebody is being abused then the person abusing them already knows who they are.

As far as the incident cited above, what are the chances that the assailants learned about  the "specific bracelet" from the lottery? The daughter herself says she thinks it was somebody who knew her mother. There's no reason to think this wouldn't have happened even if her name hadn't been released. Lottery winners who are victimized are almost always their own worst enemy.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                            Member #164603
                            March 8, 2015
                            614 Posts
                            Posted: July 7, 2015, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

I may have phrased that incorrectly. I didn't mean she would stay at the shelter AFTER  she won, but that she was at the shelter WHEN she won. Meaning she's hiding out in a safe place where her abuser can't get to her. Maybe a shelter, maybe a friend or relative, maybe an extended motel.

Look at what happened to Gloria. She didn't want a press conference but the lottery called the press while she was doing the paperwork and she got waylaid outside the office. She was stalked by the media for weeks and even after the media frenzy wore down it was reported which hotel she was staying at and where she was building a house to live in. A winner can get a house in a guard patrolled and gated community, but they will have to leave their compound at some point and their abuser will simply have to wait them out. You would not believe the horror stories of how some of these women are stalked.

The Florida LC really pulled that one over Gloria, an 80 year old woman?

Wow, that's really dirty.

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
                              Member #131594
                              August 14, 2012
                              171 Posts
                              Posted: July 7, 2015, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

I believe that you would be able to remain anonymous in many states if you have a protective order or can prove there is a good reason to keep your information private.

North Carolina, for instance, has says right on their website:

Q:If I should win a large top prize, do I have the option of remaining anonymous with regard to the media and the public?

A: The NCEL will consider a winner’s name, city/county, and the prize amount a matter of public record, unless the winner produces a valid protective order or Address Confidentiality Program authorization card.

I know I have read on other state sites that the lottery directory has some discretionary powers as well but can't cite where I read that.

Lotto Lucy