Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Warning about the lotto vending machines, Illinois Lottery

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Chicago, IL
United States
Member #167392
July 9, 2015
2 Posts
Posted: July 9, 2015, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

Hi Folks,

I just have a warning about the lottery vending machines.  I used one about a month ago, for the Illinois lottery jackpot, during the transaction, for 5 quick picks, the machine ran out of paper and did not give a ticket, nor did it give the money back, or add any credit back.

Its been impossible to obtain a refund, the store says its not their machine plus they have a strict no refunds on lottery policy and to call the number on the back of the ticket, which I have made repeated attempts, by phone and email, to the company running the Illinois lottery (NorthStar), and they initially said someone would get back to me promptly, however now they are saying, someone may get back to me, but there is no time frame, so they can't specify when that might be, they also added I should not have been told someone would promptly get back to me because its not their policy to give any kind of time frame.

I've already wasted way more effort trying to get a refund than the $5 I lost in the machine, and I'm sure they realize eventually people will give up trying to get a refund for a small amount, so at this point I'm considering this a loss, but sharing my story here, a word of caution to anyone else who may be thinking of using one of those machines.

Sincerely,
A FORMER Illinois Lottery Player

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #94283
    July 17, 2010
    2284 Posts
    Posted: July 9, 2015, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

So sorry that happened to you.

Idaho's machines suck too.  Half the time they won't even take a play slip so you end up spending your money on something you didn't want because like Illinois you can't get your money back once it's in the machine.

Today I bought a scratch off because AFTER I put my money in the message came up to choose a scratcher because the draw games were unavailable.  Arrgghhh!  And it turns out they have them loaded wrong.  Got a different one than what was on the display I punched. 

Then they pass the blame back and forth between the retailer and the Lottery.  The people at the store say the lottery is supposed to fix their own machines.  So I call the lottery and they say the store employees have a key and are trained to do it. 

It's very annoying and at times I almost give up buying any lottery at all, but I enjoy it so I just try to go to a clerk whenever possible.  However, I don't buy Idaho-only games anymore because I can't trust the Idaho lottery because of crap like this.  Unless I'm forced to buy a scratch-off because the dang machine won't print a draw game.  Arrgghhh!  I feel your pain!

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
      Member #165244
      March 30, 2015
      228 Posts
      Posted: July 9, 2015, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

Seems like it can happen in any lotto machine, as I have experienced her in NY State.  Thank goodness it was only a $2 win, but I did want to play it and of course it wouldnt print my ticket...

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

Baton Rouge, LA
        United States
        Member #4602
        May 7, 2004
        699 Posts
        Posted: July 9, 2015, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

I had something similar happen to me. The machine took my money and wouldn't give me tickets. It just locked up and gave me an error message. Apparently, it lost contact with the main office computer. They went to get the store manager but by the time he got there, the machine started working again. After that, I became wary of using the machine and didn't use it again.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

NY
          United States
          Member #167035
          June 22, 2015
          1340 Posts
          Posted: July 9, 2015, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

the new NY machines (the ones that print out draw game tickets as well (no numbers or win4 tho)) accept $50 and $100 bills and only allow u to cash tickets worth up to $50 - imagine if u put a $100 bill in there and the machine ran out of paper now that would be something

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4108 Posts
            Posted: July 10, 2015, 12:46 am - IP Logged

Machine takes my $$$ and No refund? It gets This...Image result for sledgehammer

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49784 Posts
              Posted: July 10, 2015, 1:27 am - IP Logged

Machine takes my $$$ and No refund? It gets This...Image result for sledgehammer

After taking this action LottoMan is assured of getting the attention of Illinois Officials!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Chicago, IL
                United States
                Member #167392
                July 9, 2015
                2 Posts
                Posted: July 10, 2015, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

ROFL

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #74096
                  May 2, 2009
                  22944 Posts
                  Posted: July 10, 2015, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Former lottery player?

You can go to the machine at most service desks in a grocery store. You'll

have better luck there if there is an error. Errors can happen there too like

happened to me today but at least the clerk sees it happen. I handed over 

my regular cards today and the first run of the first card shot out a raffle 

ticket for $20....huh?? The card should have given me 5 tickets superstr8

for $3 each - total $15 for 5 sets of doubles. This was a regular - not new -

clerk. Even she didn't know why it did that. I didn't want that ticket, I already 

have my 2. PA has a policy now that tickets can't be voided and that if accurate

plays are desired, they suggest filling out cards. Well that's what I did and it

still got it wrong. I half expected her to tell me I had to buy it...yeah right.

I'd say at this point, forget getting your money back. But still, you don't have to

go 'former player'. Just use a live person! Gl!

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #94283
                    July 17, 2010
                    2284 Posts
                    Posted: July 10, 2015, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Former lottery player?

clerk. Even she didn't know why it did that. I didn't want that ticket, I already 

have my 2. PA has a policy now that tickets can't be voided and that if accurate

plays are desired, they suggest filling out cards. Well that's what I did and it

still got it wrong. I half expected her to tell me I had to buy it...yeah right.

I'd say at this point, forget getting your money back. But still, you don't have to

Yes live clerks make mistakes too.  Even if I just want a QP sometimes they'll print the wrong game, or if I want 5 they print 10.  At least then you can choose not to buy the tickets, unlike when you get them from the machine, but I have to buy them anyway.  It used to happen quite often that a ticket left behind with the clerk turned out to be the winner, and I'd kill myself if that happened to me.  I haven't heard it happening much in the last few years, but still . . . I have to buy the ticket no matter how wrong it is.

So now I try to always fill out a play slip no matter how simple it should be to get the ticket correct.  They're a pain to carry without falling out of my pocket or something, and also a pain just remembering to take them with me.

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7314 Posts
                      Posted: July 10, 2015, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

Former lottery player?

"You can go to the machine at most service desks in a grocery store. You'll have better luck there if there is an error."

That's probably the best advice.

It's more likely a clerk in a small store will make mistakes than one at service center in a large grocery store. But it makes for a better story by saying they were ripped off by a vending machine and nobody will help them.

"I half expected her to tell me I had to buy it...yeah right."

Been there, done that but I filled out at play slip and the tickets look nothing like what was on the play slip. At the stores with lottery vending machines, it probably depends on how busy the clerk is. I saw a clerk at a store open the vending machine for one patron and tell another they were not allowed to open the machine.