Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What do you do if you have a winning lottery ticket?

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 1 year ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Sacramento, California
United States
Member #167410
July 10, 2015
10 Posts
Posted: July 10, 2015, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

I mean, of course you go claim it but I want to know where I'm going to put all the money IF I win the mega millions. Do I have to have a bank account ready to put all the money in? OR, do I claim the prize as soon as I find out that I won? I'm just dreaming right now and I'm just wondering what I would do if I won the lottery.

Should I sign the back of the lottery ticket? BTW, I don't care if people know I won the lottery, so I don't need to do the steps to make sure I'm anonymous.

Also, I've read on here that you're supposed to make photo copies of the front AND back of the ticket. Does that mean taking pictures of it OR does it mean making copies with your printing machine?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4110 Posts
    Posted: July 10, 2015, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

I mean, of course you go claim it but I want to know where I'm going to put all the money IF I win the mega millions. Do I have to have a bank account ready to put all the money in? OR, do I claim the prize as soon as I find out that I won? I'm just dreaming right now and I'm just wondering what I would do if I won the lottery.

Should I sign the back of the lottery ticket? BTW, I don't care if people know I won the lottery, so I don't need to do the steps to make sure I'm anonymous.

Also, I've read on here that you're supposed to make photo copies of the front AND back of the ticket. Does that mean taking pictures of it OR does it mean making copies with your printing machine?

Tell you what John, may l call you John? Win the jackpot FIRST, then come back and ask for advice Smile. Why you ask? Because....

Amongst other things : We do have Tax Attorneys, Lawyers, Professors,Mathematicians, School Teachers and a few Judges sprinkled in as members of this forum- so heed the advice. WIN, then return- you will be so glad you did. Help is standing by. Nominal fees for the service do apply.Big Smile

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7322 Posts
      Posted: July 10, 2015, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

"Should I sign the back of the lottery ticket?"

Are you confused because it says on the back of the ticket to "sign the back of the ticket?

"Also, I've read on here that you're supposed to make photo copies of the front AND back of the ticket. "

Most of the lottery web sites give information on validating winning tickets some suggest signing the back of the ticket, keep it in a safe place, and to call lottery headquarters and make an appointment to validate the ticket.

United States
        Member #145267
        August 1, 2013
        1534 Posts
        Posted: July 10, 2015, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

John sign the ticket as fast as you can and my opinion, you should care who knows that you won the lottery.  Love only goes so far, so only tell your immediate family until you control the money.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
          Lavender Rocket

United States
          Member #124616
          March 16, 2012
          2642 Posts
          Posted: July 10, 2015, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Tell you what John, may l call you John? Win the jackpot FIRST, then come back and ask for advice Smile. Why you ask? Because....

Amongst other things : We do have Tax Attorneys, Lawyers, Professors,Mathematicians, School Teachers and a few Judges sprinkled in as members of this forum- so heed the advice. WIN, then return- you will be so glad you did. Help is standing by. Nominal fees for the service do apply.Big Smile

wow!  I'm rubbing shoulders with the bigboys!

United States
            Member #164725
            March 12, 2015
            343 Posts
            Posted: July 10, 2015, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

I wouldnt make an appt to go in and validate it. Just pop in. Otherwise, there may be a big film crew waiting for you.  But if you are okay with that, then no problem.

Bondi Junction
              Australia
              Member #57242
              December 24, 2007
              1102 Posts
              Posted: July 10, 2015, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

How to claim

Won a prize? Congratulations! Here's how to claim it; whether you've played online or in-store.

Please remember that:

• all draw game prizes must be claimed within 180 days after the day of the draw (unless you follow the procedure which allows you to claim within 7 days after the end of the claim period – see the relevant Rules for more information);
              • Instant Win prizes must be claimed within 180 days after the day you bought the Instant Win game;
              • Scratchcard prizes must be claimed within 180 days after the game closes.

More information about claim periods is set out in the relevant Rules linked to in the 'Further information' section below.

Any prizes not claimed within the relevant claim period will be forfeited.

Online Direct Debit prizes

Prizes up to £50,000 – These will be paid directly to the bank or building society account your Direct Debit is taken from.

Prizes over £50,000 – If you've been really lucky and won over £50,000, please call us on 0845 278 8000 to validate your claim and we can arrange to process your claim in person.

In-store prizes

Prizes up to and including £100 – You can claim prizes up to £100 from retailers. All retailers are required to pay prizes of up to £100, apart from those with till-point terminals, who are required to pay prizes up to £50.

Prizes up to and including £500 – You can claim prizes up to £500 from some retailers. Retailers are allowed, but not required, to make payments in cash for prizes of over £100 up to and including £500.

Prizes over £500 up to and including £50,000 – You can claim prizes over £500 up to and including £50,000 at designated post offices, at a National Lottery regional centre, or by post. You may be required to complete a Prize Claim Form and provide proof of identity and age with your ticket when claiming a prize. For more information about claiming by post, see below.

Prizes over £50,000 – If you've been really lucky and won over £50,000, please call us on 0845 9 100 000. Prizes must be claimed in person.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #104962
                January 23, 2011
                1075 Posts
                Posted: July 11, 2015, 9:29 am - IP Logged

I wouldnt make an appt to go in and validate it. Just pop in. Otherwise, there may be a big film crew waiting for you.  But if you are okay with that, then no problem.

In wisconsin they want jackpot winners to call ahead of time! Probably so they can get the lamestream media there.   https://wilottery.com/files/docs/winner_brochure.pdf

Trump 2016!

Sacramento, California
                  United States
                  Member #167410
                  July 10, 2015
                  10 Posts
                  Posted: July 11, 2015, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

I meant I don't care who knows AFTER I claim the money. If I had a winning ticket and hadn't claimed the lottery yet, there is no way in hell I would tell anyone. Not even my closest relatives.

Sacramento, California
                    United States
                    Member #167410
                    July 10, 2015
                    10 Posts
                    Posted: July 11, 2015, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

My main question though is, where do I put all that money after you claim it? You can't put it all in your bank account can you? I'm talking about if you won millions of dollars.

Sacramento, California
                      United States
                      Member #167410
                      July 10, 2015
                      10 Posts
                      Posted: July 11, 2015, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

John sign the ticket as fast as you can and my opinion, you should care who knows that you won the lottery.  Love only goes so far, so only tell your immediate family until you control the money.

I meant I don't care who knows AFTER I claim the money. If I had a winning ticket and hadn't claimed the lottery yet, there is no way in hell I would tell anyone. Not even my closest relatives.

Sacramento, California
                        United States
                        Member #167410
                        July 10, 2015
                        10 Posts
                        Posted: July 11, 2015, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

"Should I sign the back of the lottery ticket?"

Are you confused because it says on the back of the ticket to "sign the back of the ticket?

"Also, I've read on here that you're supposed to make photo copies of the front AND back of the ticket. "

Most of the lottery web sites give information on validating winning tickets some suggest signing the back of the ticket, keep it in a safe place, and to call lottery headquarters and make an appointment to validate the ticket.

My main question though is, where do I put all that money after you claim it? You can't put it all in your bank account can you? I'm talking about if you won millions of dollars.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #17843
                          June 28, 2005
                          49813 Posts
                          Posted: July 11, 2015, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

You could put it in a Bank Account, however your Account Balance will exceed the FDIC Insurance Limit.

A better solution might be to Buy Gold & Silver Bars.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #94283
                            July 17, 2010
                            2284 Posts
                            Posted: July 11, 2015, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

You could put it in a Bank Account, however your Account Balance will exceed the FDIC Insurance Limit.

A better solution might be to Buy Gold & Silver Bars.

AFAIK, you can put it in one bank in a CDARS account and it will be insured.  The bank distributes/invests it in other banks in amounts that are covered by FDIC, and you're only personally dealing with one bank.

United States
                              Member #145267
                              August 1, 2013
                              1534 Posts
                              Posted: July 11, 2015, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Great info, find a cdars bank, thanks holeekau.