Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Another when you do win...

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 1 year ago by SilverLion.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
Member #165244
March 30, 2015
227 Posts
Posted: July 12, 2015, 8:28 am - IP Logged

But this is more about your friends family more friends more family reacting.  I would like to think that I know at this point who matters to me and who does not.  But there still can be concern about having a problem saying no, especially to say friends on fakebook, yep fakebook or any other social media. 

It would just concern me about how many people I would write off, just to keep my winnings. But definitely still playing!

Anyone else thinks about this.

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49758 Posts
    Posted: July 12, 2015, 9:49 am - IP Logged

But this is more about your friends family more friends more family reacting.  I would like to think that I know at this point who matters to me and who does not.  But there still can be concern about having a problem saying no, especially to say friends on fakebook, yep fakebook or any other social media. 

It would just concern me about how many people I would write off, just to keep my winnings. But definitely still playing!

On the Social Media Website: Just Click On: Unfriend & Unfamily...

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
      Member #165244
      March 30, 2015
      227 Posts
      Posted: July 12, 2015, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

On the Social Media Website: Just Click On: Unfriend & Unfamily...

That would definitely be the thing to do...

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
        Member #142499
        May 13, 2013
        1183 Posts
        Posted: July 12, 2015, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I have, a lot and I got the perfect solution while rewatching Fargo a few years ago, confirmed by a CNBC  interview with Cynthia Stafford and ESPN's Broke. Have someone be a buffer between family/friends and your money. Once you make it clear that you don't have immediate and total access to your funds and that all large financial requests have to go through and be approved by your accountant/financial advisor, all the non-stop requests should taper off. In essence, you're getting to say no without having to be the bad guy. 

If you've ever gone into a store and seen the sign that says the manager does not have access to the safe, same principle. A simple note cut down on hold ups across the country. That's what a financial buffer will do for a winner who wants to cut down on requests. 

I think the thing to keep in the forefront of your mind (no matter how vilified you are) is all the lottery winners who helped out their family and friends and who were deserted once the money ran out. The same people who got a free car, or mortgage paid off, or business idea backed were nowhere to be found when the person who helped them lost it all. Your priority must be keeping your money safe and whoever doesn't get that doesn't deserve your friendship. Period.

Fort Wayne, IN
          United States
          Member #167438
          July 12, 2015
          5 Posts
          Posted: July 12, 2015, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

I will deactivate social media! haha. no fake family coming for me

Hi Everyone, Check my daily Lotto Scratching on YouTube "TheSatyr"

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4108 Posts
            Posted: July 12, 2015, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

The solution to this particular problem is quite simple. 

"I know my friends and my friends know me.  If l don't know you, you are not my friend - Me."

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
              Member #165244
              March 30, 2015
              227 Posts
              Posted: July 12, 2015, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

Good points.  Keeping winnings safe would definitely be my first priority.  And deactivating any accounts like that would probably be your best bet.  Because doing that shouldn't affect those who are considered real friends, as they would definitely be able to get/keep in touch.

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: July 13, 2015, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

"friends on fakebook"

In case you didn't know, there's a huge difference between friends who are on facebook and people that you've friended on facebook.

I've got friends, good friends, and really good friends. Give me a jackpot and I'll treat all of them to dinner, but better gifts requires being better friends.

"Once you make it clear that you don't have immediate and total access to your funds and that all large financial requests have to go through and be approved by your accountant/financial advisor"

That's a strategy that might work with people who believe that you're stupid enough to relinquish control of your own money. I'm guessing the reality is that even if you've got every dime in an annuity that has no provision for early withdrawal, even the people who think you're stupid will still think you can get your hands on all of it at the drop of a hat. Either way, it really comes down to how many words it takes you to say no.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                  Member #142499
                  May 13, 2013
                  1183 Posts
                  Posted: July 13, 2015, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

"friends on fakebook"

In case you didn't know, there's a huge difference between friends who are on facebook and people that you've friended on facebook.

I've got friends, good friends, and really good friends. Give me a jackpot and I'll treat all of them to dinner, but better gifts requires being better friends.

"Once you make it clear that you don't have immediate and total access to your funds and that all large financial requests have to go through and be approved by your accountant/financial advisor"

That's a strategy that might work with people who believe that you're stupid enough to relinquish control of your own money. I'm guessing the reality is that even if you've got every dime in an annuity that has no provision for early withdrawal, even the people who think you're stupid will still think you can get your hands on all of it at the drop of a hat. Either way, it really comes down to how many words it takes you to say no.

I have a fervent belief that absolutely no one, except perhaps your spouse, should know how you manage your money. Even so, I'm pretty sure my really close friends wouldn't buy me relinquishing control of my money, but if they were that close to me I probably would have given them financial assistance after the win and had the Buffer explain the limit and terms of any future requests. If they weren't happy with what they were given and if they had a problem with not getting more, then hasta la vista, baby. Via con Dios.

My situation is different because the recession allowed me to find out who my true friends were. There were people who I would have given a kidney to, we were that close, who turned out to be phonies. Friends and family who'd used me like a revolving door piggy bank were MIA when the recession hit me hard. I even got cursed out for daring to request payback for loans I'd given. It was painful and shocking and the best financial education I've ever received to date. Now I know and I also know how to spot warning signs.

The Buffer works best for people one isn't very close to. If I've been friendly but not actually friends with coworkers, book club members, fellow churchgoers, Facebook buddies who come looking for $$after a win, they can be referred to The Buffer.

new jersey
                    United States
                    Member #150815
                    December 31, 2013
                    513 Posts
                    Posted: July 15, 2015, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

a  friend  in need  is  a  friend  indeed?????????????????

United States
                      Member #165244
                      March 30, 2015
                      227 Posts
                      Posted: July 18, 2015, 8:54 am - IP Logged

I'm sure there will be a lot of them "in need". That even goes for family.  I have family that I havent been in contact with for years, but I'm sure winning numbers would change that...

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3300 Posts
                        Posted: July 20, 2015, 6:32 am - IP Logged

If you have the fact you won on Facebook, you already have done something VERY VERY WRONG

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                          Member #165244
                          March 30, 2015
                          227 Posts
                          Posted: July 20, 2015, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

I haven't put any of my wins on FB...Friends don't even know I play.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
                            Member #165541
                            April 12, 2015
                            545 Posts
                            Posted: July 20, 2015, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I have, a lot and I got the perfect solution while rewatching Fargo a few years ago, confirmed by a CNBC  interview with Cynthia Stafford and ESPN's Broke. Have someone be a buffer between family/friends and your money. Once you make it clear that you don't have immediate and total access to your funds and that all large financial requests have to go through and be approved by your accountant/financial advisor, all the non-stop requests should taper off. In essence, you're getting to say no without having to be the bad guy. 

If you've ever gone into a store and seen the sign that says the manager does not have access to the safe, same principle. A simple note cut down on hold ups across the country. That's what a financial buffer will do for a winner who wants to cut down on requests. 

I think the thing to keep in the forefront of your mind (no matter how vilified you are) is all the lottery winners who helped out their family and friends and who were deserted once the money ran out. The same people who got a free car, or mortgage paid off, or business idea backed were nowhere to be found when the person who helped them lost it all. Your priority must be keeping your money safe and whoever doesn't get that doesn't deserve your friendship. Period.

I got the perfect solution while rewatching Fargo a few years ago

Put them in a wood chipper?