Welcome Guest
You last visited October 22, 2017, 11:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions Sales Down Since New Format

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 2 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #171
April 7, 2002
181 Posts
Posted: July 13, 2015, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

The lottery's gamble on longer odds and expected bigger jackpots leading to increased sales has not paid off. With one drawing to go in 2014, sales are $2,484,447,100, with 2014 being the first full year of the new format, 200 million less than 2013.

Mega Million Sales - 2012 - 3.1 billion, 2013 - $2,691,121.77, 2014 -  $2,484,447,100

Jackpot Winners - 2012 - 13 winners, 2013 - 12 winners, 2014 - 9 winners

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: July 13, 2015, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Good! That's how greed should be rewarded. Those years when MM jackpots used to be a two horse race between Californians and New Yorkers and occasionally Ohioans and New Jerseyites? popping in, those were the days. They ruined a good thing.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
      Member #171
      April 7, 2002
      181 Posts
      Posted: July 13, 2015, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

Yep, new format Powerball will go the same way, BIG FAIL!!!!!!

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        Happyland
        United States
        Member #146344
        September 1, 2013
        1139 Posts
        Posted: July 13, 2015, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

Poor sales are typically blamed on lack of big jackpots. Ironically, poor sales lead to lower jackpots.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Chasing the Dream.
          Utopia- California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4602 Posts
          Posted: July 13, 2015, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

Good! That's how greed should be rewarded. Those years when MM jackpots used to be a two horse race between Californians and New Yorkers and occasionally Ohioans and New Jerseyites? popping in, those were the days. They ruined a good thing.

Whose They? You blaming Californians for the poor sales or is it greed you were thinking of? You take that back. Right Now.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7585 Posts
            Posted: July 13, 2015, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

Poor sales are typically blamed on lack of big jackpots. Ironically, poor sales lead to lower jackpots.

To get larger jackpots players must spend lots of money for several weeks winning little or nothing to create one. It looks like the players figured out they probably won't nobody usually wins when the jackpots are low.

"Ironically, poor sales lead to lower jackpots."

Do you mean fewer jackpot winners because it takes longer to to build?

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              4091 Posts
              Posted: July 13, 2015, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Yep, new format Powerball will go the same way, BIG FAIL!!!!!!

Maybe worse for PB, the tix cost twice as much.

I went from every draw w/ PP to occasional player and after the change I'll quit that also.

I'll play MM sometimes and play my state pic6 2 or 3 MIL is fine anyway don't need 100s.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #37433
                April 14, 2006
                2747 Posts
                Posted: July 13, 2015, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Whose They? You blaming Californians for the poor sales or is it greed you were thinking of? You take that back. Right Now.

By they I meant to say those who run MUSL. Their greed ruined a good thing.

It didn't bother me that Californians and New Yorkers were winning. It actually encouraged me to play.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Chasing the Dream.
                  Utopia- California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4602 Posts
                  Posted: July 13, 2015, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

By they I meant to say those who run MUSL. Their greed ruined a good thing.

It didn't bother me that Californians and New Yorkers were winning. It actually encouraged me to play.

Image result for JUST KIDDING ....Maringoman.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: July 13, 2015, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

Image result for JUST KIDDING ....Maringoman.

LOL you got me

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      20143 Posts
                      Posted: July 16, 2015, 11:13 am - IP Logged

I don't know about other states but Ohio added MM and PB to attract players for its local games, not replace them.  Larger odds and poorer sales for the multi-states games probably means increased sales for local games.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning one * 

Evil Looking