Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which Game to Play or Throw More Money At ?

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Crazy Wombat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #161539
December 3, 2014
328 Posts
Posted: July 15, 2015, 6:33 am - IP Logged

OK ... of course the game with the "best odds" ... here's an interesting setup in PA for tonight (Wed) and tomorrow (Thu).

I have always thought the PA Match 6 (6/49) game was a good play for the $2.00 price, compared to the MM and PB.

However, for sometime now the Match 6 game has been getting hit consistently at around $1 million, give or take ... but I have been buying tickets with every drawing ... usually extra tickets, as I did in May, June and July and even before, going back years.

So the Match 6 game was hit last week again at a million dollars and tomorrow (July 16th) the jackpot is $600,000.

As you know the Match 6 (6/49) game has odds of 1 in 13,983,816 ... but because you get three lines for a $2 ticket, the PA Lottery says the odds are really 1 in 4,661,272 ... however, I still think of the odds as being 1 in 13,983,816 ... trying to get that one line with all six numbers.

No matter ... both odds are still almost impossible.

So I have been thinking ... tonight the Cash 5 jackpot in PA is $600,000 as will be the Match 6 jackpot tomorrow, also $600,000.

Of course the odds to win the Cash 5 jackpot are 1 in 962,598 ... so a simple question, why bother spending any money in the future on a 6/49 game with odds in the millions ... why not just wait through the month for the Cash 5 jackpot to reach a $600,000 ... $800,000 or $1 million dollar jackpot and put all the money on those plays?

The Cash 5 jackpots have been hitting these higher amounts steady over the last 4 or 5 months (over the last year) ... maybe less people are playing the lottery these days ... the Cash 5 jackpots were usually a little higher ... for example ... it was rare to see a $600,000 jackpot, they were usually $650,000 ... an $800,000 jackpot would be $850,000 and there were hardly any jackpots in the $400,000 range, they would jump from the $325,000 or $350,000 range to $500,000 ... $525,000 or $550,000 but for months now, the jackpots are never in the $500,000 range anymore ... always the $400,000 range and then it usually jumps to $600,000 ... before it would jump into the $700,000 range.

I have already bought all my Match 6 tickets for the month till August and for sometime now (many months) I have not won much money on the Match 6 ... I used to win fairly good, no profit ... just getting some of my money back.

Over the last few years ... I would wait for the Cash 5 jackpots to get a little higher before I would buy any tickets but last evening as I saw the jackpot total of $600,000 for both games (tonight and tomorrow) ... I'm thinking of cutting my money back on the Match 6 game and throw more money at the Cash 5 game for the future.

Since the Match 6 jackpots over the last year have been low, usually in line with the Cash 5 jackpots ... a Cash 5 jackpot of $600,000 or more can usually happen several times a month these days.

I would still buy one Match 6 ticket but no more spending most of my money on that game ... plow that money into the Cash 5 higher jackpot.

I just throw this all out for PA players and other players also, for their thoughts ... other states that have a 6/49 game usually have higher jackpots so they are still worth playing ... I still think many people (in PA) have left MM and PB and other games and are playing Match 6 ... it's getting hit every month these days and always starting over at $500,000 ... usually moving very close with the Cash 5 jackpot ... but look at the difference in odds for the jackpot amount on both games.

As I have said before ... the Match 6 jackpots just a few years ago were around $4 million average, then $2 million average and now for almost a year, around $1 million.

NY
    United States
    Member #167035
    June 22, 2015
    1340 Posts
    Posted: July 15, 2015, 7:59 am - IP Logged

i like PA's match 6 it a good game - much better than NY's 6/59 lotto which has been rolling for 8 months now

United States
      Member #161539
      December 3, 2014
      328 Posts
      Posted: July 15, 2015, 8:19 am - IP Logged

Yes, it is a good game and more players seem to be playing it these days, never said it wasn't a good game ... my point is dealing with the odds of playing for a $600,000 jackpot ... less than a million versus over 13 million.

Just to fine tune my earlier post ... hate when the 20 minute time limit runs out ... just because I am not winning even smaller amounts of money these days playing the Match 6 ... I'm sure other players are winning those smaller amounts. That's not why I am losing some interest in the Match 6 game ... even when I play the Cash 5, I rarely win a dollar ... to me, it all about the odds.

In my case I am forced to think things out a bit more ... if you have been playing Match 6 over the last three years, I'm sure you have noticed how the jackpots have dropped to this new lower level and have been staying in that range.

Many people just buy tickets for whatever game they like ... I'm always one to study or look at numbers, odds and jackpots.

As I said earlier several times in other posts ... the PA Match 6 game is the easiest 6/49 game to hit of all the 6/49 games ... are there any other 6/49 games getting hit every month ... probably not, most do get to higher jackpots. So my post really only applies to PA.

Let me add this ... I hope the PA Lottery will leave the Match 6 game alone ... keep it as is ... smaller jackpots or not. I'm sure many people wait till the jackpot gets close to a million and hoping for more till they buy a ticket and I'm sure the PA Lottery has also noticed the lower jackpots and there may be some ideas floating around about tinkering with game ... leave it alone !