Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What are some safe investments that pay really good interest?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 1 year ago by darthfury78.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Sacramento, California
United States
Member #167410
July 10, 2015
10 Posts
Posted: July 21, 2015, 4:12 am - IP Logged

Say you have millions of dollars, what are some good things to invest your money in that will have a decent to really good return rate? I heard AAA bonds are really safe, insured by the federal government, non taxable, and pay an interest rate of 3-5%. Is that true and are bonds the way to go?

FYI, I'm just fantasizing about money :)

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
    Happy California
    United States
    Member #157856
    August 2, 2014
    1506 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2015, 7:37 am - IP Logged

John, We appreciate your dreams.  Like noise-gate has written here on LP before, Wait until you win to make decisions about your money.   

Today is not a good day to buy bonds. Interest rates are going up soon and that makes the price of bonds go down. I do not want anything I own to go down in price. 

So, talk with professional advisors like, Lawyers, Certified Public Attorneys CPA's, Certified Financial Planners CFP's.       A Trust & Estate attorney will create Trusts, Wills, . If you find the right Attorney then that relationship could last a lifetime. 

Good Luck to you with your lottery play.

music*

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3102 Posts
      Posted: July 21, 2015, 9:47 am - IP Logged

Say you have millions of dollars, what are some good things to invest your money in that will have a decent to really good return rate? I heard AAA bonds are really safe, insured by the federal government, non taxable, and pay an interest rate of 3-5%. Is that true and are bonds the way to go?

There is nothing out there far as the eye can see, if there were everyone would be on it like stink on . . . like they were on the housing market.  Watch for the next bubble, get in, get out.

Invest in real things you can use while your money is still worth something.  Buy a free standing McDonalds, etc.   Decent well built house where taxes are low on a nice chunk of land on water, car that will should be running twenty years from now and still have some value instead of expensive nonsense that will be worthless scrap when out of warranty.  If you must invest consider annuities.

BobP

United States
        Member #145267
        August 1, 2013
        1492 Posts
        Posted: July 21, 2015, 11:24 am - IP Logged

I think if you won a big lottery jackpot, put yourself on a budget.  Pay in full for the house that you are going to live in, same for 2 or 3 cars.  The point is to not try and spend all of your lottery jackpot.  Investing works for some people not for all.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
          Economy class
          Belgium
          Member #123700
          February 27, 2012
          4035 Posts
          Posted: July 21, 2015, 11:39 am - IP Logged

The safest thing is a saving account, if the bank isn't bankrupt.

United States
            Member #34931
            March 9, 2006
            98 Posts
            Posted: July 21, 2015, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

"things to invest your money in that will have a decent to really good return rate"

In the context of monthly dividends . . VWEAX.  Share value WILL fluctuate up and down with market conditions.  Doubtful that your heirs will scrutinize if there was a gain or loss on your investment amount . . more like "how much do I get and when".

Pay estimated quarterly taxes.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
              Member #52345
              May 21, 2007
              2657 Posts
              Posted: July 21, 2015, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

There is nothing out there far as the eye can see, if there were everyone would be on it like stink on . . . like they were on the housing market.  Watch for the next bubble, get in, get out.

Invest in real things you can use while your money is still worth something.  Buy a free standing McDonalds, etc.   Decent well built house where taxes are low on a nice chunk of land on water, car that will should be running twenty years from now and still have some value instead of expensive nonsense that will be worthless scrap when out of warranty.  If you must invest consider annuities.

BobP

sounds like wise advice ..... but nothing is safe from Uncle Sam and cronies

EZMONEE's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                Pick3 Analyst
                All States
                United States
                Member #106260
                February 15, 2011
                17176 Posts
                Posted: July 21, 2015, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

I'm investing in 5/$20 scratch tickets a day, I'm jus being real!!

Type EZ$

new jersey
                  United States
                  Member #150815
                  December 31, 2013
                  513 Posts
                  Posted: July 21, 2015, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

today i  picked up  scratch off  ticket  in  a  parking  lot  of  a  conveince  store it  was  a  30.00 scratch ticket, all the  numbers  scratched off,  it  was  a  50.00 winner. i  did  not  belive it  i  never  pick  them  up. i past  it  up a  few  feet  went  back  because it  was  a  30.00 ticket  i  picked  it up, its  almost  hard  to whose  it  was,  they  just  missed  it.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #94283
                    July 17, 2010
                    2284 Posts
                    Posted: July 21, 2015, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

today i  picked up  scratch off  ticket  in  a  parking  lot  of  a  conveince  store it  was  a  30.00 scratch ticket, all the  numbers  scratched off,  it  was  a  50.00 winner. i  did  not  belive it  i  never  pick  them  up. i past  it  up a  few  feet  went  back  because it  was  a  30.00 ticket  i  picked  it up, its  almost  hard  to whose  it  was,  they  just  missed  it.

Have you tried to cash it?  I find them once in a while but they've already been cashed.  That's the problem with the vending machines, they don't keep the cashed ticket so the winners throw them on the ground when they leave the store.

homestead
                      United States
                      Member #158182
                      August 14, 2014
                      132 Posts
                      Posted: July 22, 2015, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

I good idea is to invest in Preferred Stocks like HSEA, for example, pays a quarterly dividend of 51 cents a share. Thus, if you win around $5 Million(after taxes), you could invest in over 100,000 shares and get around $50K every 3 months, or $200K a year without touching the original investment. The other amount your could invest in common stocks like Coca-Cola or Disney and watch that $2.5 Million become $10 Million over a period of years.

Between Preferred Stocks and bonds is that Preferred Stocks are not affected by raising interest rates. At least with preferred stocks, you know how much money you are getting every year on a stable basis.