Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning a jackpot on just five lines or less

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Taurus$.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
Ft. Washington, MD
United States
Member #159267
September 20, 2014
123 Posts
Posted: July 24, 2015, 9:02 am - IP Logged

Recently, about a couple months ago, i was talking to a co-worker about the 565mil powerball jackpot and if he was going to play and he said yeah but only going spend for just one line. I thought he was crazy. I told him that it is pretty rare for someone to win a jackpot on just one line. Most people with that size of a jackpot would get five or more lines. Has it ever happened where someone won on just a one line ticket? A huge jackpot?

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1492 Posts
    Posted: July 24, 2015, 9:43 am - IP Logged

I think it would be hard to tell if past jackpot winners have won because they played more than one line.  I don't think it really matters as long as you have the winning numbers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4102 Posts
      Posted: July 24, 2015, 9:47 am - IP Logged

Recently, about a couple months ago, i was talking to a co-worker about the 565mil powerball jackpot and if he was going to play and he said yeah but only going spend for just one line. I thought he was crazy. I told him that it is pretty rare for someone to win a jackpot on just one line. Most people with that size of a jackpot would get five or more lines. Has it ever happened where someone won on just a one line ticket? A huge jackpot?

Your friend is not crazy. All it takes is one line of the correct numbers to win either jackpot. If someone played 5 lines and won, it's as good as saying" l didn't need these other four lines after all, but it is what it is".

***One line of the correct numbers. ..that's the secret! 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49618 Posts
        Posted: July 24, 2015, 11:08 am - IP Logged

You have to be in it to Win It! (It only takes one ticket/line!)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Ft. Washington, MD
          United States
          Member #159267
          September 20, 2014
          123 Posts
          Posted: July 24, 2015, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

I thank those of you who replied with their opinions of the subject. As it happened the next day i saw my co-worker he said he lost and i said well i saw it coming but you only lost two dollars so you lessened the hit to your pocket LOL. He didn't risk a lot. I guess he is too sqeamish to risk more than 2. But to each his own.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: July 24, 2015, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

I've read about winners who played one of two lines of family birth days for years before winning so it does happens.  Even winners who brought lots of tickets usually won with the one winning line unless they were wheeling numbers and many of the winning numbers were in other lines.  More tickets get you more chances but unless you place the winning combination twice only the one winning line counts.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49618 Posts
              Posted: July 24, 2015, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

I thank those of you who replied with their opinions of the subject. As it happened the next day i saw my co-worker he said he lost and i said well i saw it coming but you only lost two dollars so you lessened the hit to your pocket LOL. He didn't risk a lot. I guess he is too sqeamish to risk more than 2. But to each his own.

How do you feel? You Bet $2,000.00 and Won Nothing! ($2.00 vs $2,000.00)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19816 Posts
                Posted: July 24, 2015, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

How do you feel? You Bet $2,000.00 and Won Nothing! ($2.00 vs $2,000.00)

With most major jackpot games having over all odds of 1:50 or better or winning at least their smallest prize how can one bet $2,000.00 and win nothing?  That is a myth created by players who spend only a dollar or two to feel good about winning nothing, they can tell themselves it would have been worst if I had spent $2,000.00 and won nothing.  Even they'll win something if they play often enough.

That's as bad as people claiming the odds of winning a PB or MM jackpot are one in a Trillion, the odds of winning are what they are, no better or worst regardless of how one feels when they lose.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

CALI
                  Afghanistan
                  Member #118735
                  November 6, 2011
                  134 Posts
                  Posted: July 24, 2015, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

We have played over 70,000 lines and still haven't won yet...

(HIT THE BIG ONE, OR BUY A SKI MASK)

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #92330
                    June 5, 2010
                    887 Posts
                    Posted: July 24, 2015, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

We have played over 70,000 lines and still haven't won yet...

And others have played a few dozen and won the jackpot. Just goes to show that you don't always get out what you put into the game.

Been a one line per draw player for a couple of years now and don't feel any worse off than when I was playing five.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                      Happy California
                      United States
                      Member #157856
                      August 2, 2014
                      1506 Posts
                      Posted: July 24, 2015, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

Life just is not fair !  Good Luck with your one line.  That is how I play to.No Pity!

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                        Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: July 24, 2015, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

I am quite sure some lucky players have won it all on a single line.  There is a pic on the link below of a powerball ticket that matched 5+0. The pic is too large and i don't know how to shrink it

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/04/29/oceanside-woman-claims-1m-lottery-ticket/

That money's gone fo ever

Ft. Washington, MD
                          United States
                          Member #159267
                          September 20, 2014
                          123 Posts
                          Posted: July 24, 2015, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

I am quite sure some lucky players have won it all on a single line.  There is a pic on the link below of a powerball ticket that matched 5+0. The pic is too large and i don't know how to shrink it

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/04/29/oceanside-woman-claims-1m-lottery-ticket/

Wow! so it does happen. Good for the lucky lady who pulled it off on one line, one ticket. The lottery gods must have been looking down on her and gave her a shot. But i am sure those kinds of wins don't happen often. But boy california sure do have a lot of fortunate winners

United States
                            Member #106134
                            February 13, 2011
                            806 Posts
                            Posted: July 25, 2015, 8:59 am - IP Logged

Two words: cheat codes

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                              Texas Panhandle
                              United States
                              Member #136843
                              December 20, 2012
                              1258 Posts
                              Posted: July 25, 2015, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

And others have played a few dozen and won the jackpot. Just goes to show that you don't always get out what you put into the game.

Been a one line per draw player for a couple of years now and don't feel any worse off than when I was playing five.

Same here.   I remembered another post from a few yrs. back about this very thing: Buying More Tickets Does Not Increase Your Odds

If it's a huge JP, I will sometimes buy another line, but I am under no illusion that it significantly raises my odds of winning.