Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

losing a ton from bad investments given by your financial advisors.. .

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 1 year ago by MaximumMillions.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4106 Posts
Posted: July 27, 2015, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

If you won say $10 mil but lost $3 mil on bad investments- Would you take your advisors to court or just chalk it up as lousy luck on your part?

* Have a Great Week People:- Stay Healthy while you at it.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1502 Posts
    Posted: July 27, 2015, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

No, it is still up to you to watch your investments.  Look at some of the hollywood stars or Pro athletes that have lost all or some of their money.  Example:  New York investment adviser Bernard Madoff serving 150 years for investment advisor fraud.  Watch your money, look at your statements every month.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4106 Posts
      Posted: July 27, 2015, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

No, it is still up to you to watch your investments.  Look at some of the hollywood stars or Pro athletes that have lost all or some of their money.  Example:  New York investment adviser Bernard Madoff serving 150 years for investment advisor fraud.  Watch your money, look at your statements every month.

True- but if memory serves me correctly: There was a jackpot winner who took his advisors to court within the last year or so over bad real Estate advice where he was pumping millions into a worthless deal. His the guy who supposedly jyped his buddy out of a share of the JP.Some on LP were saying " Kharma"..

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
        Happy California
        United States
        Member #157856
        August 2, 2014
        1513 Posts
        Posted: July 27, 2015, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

If my memory serves me then I believe that my Uncles sued a bank that had invested my Grandmother's money and then lost a major part of it. If it was not a bank then it was an investment business. Anyway , they got most of it back. This happened in the late 1980's. 

See Ya!

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
          nc
          United States
          Member #99520
          October 26, 2010
          375 Posts
          Posted: July 27, 2015, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

If you choose to turn a blnd eye on your investments, no research, you are to blame!  Having been a victim of the 1980's savings and loan debocale, I learned my lesson.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
            JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
            Member #141034
            April 2, 2013
            1408 Posts
            Posted: July 27, 2015, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

If he/she is cooking the books and falsifying information. If not, it's time to part ways amicably. This stuff happens a lot more than people realize.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: July 28, 2015, 1:10 am - IP Logged

True- but if memory serves me correctly: There was a jackpot winner who took his advisors to court within the last year or so over bad real Estate advice where he was pumping millions into a worthless deal. His the guy who supposedly jyped his buddy out of a share of the JP.Some on LP were saying " Kharma"..

There's a huge difference between lousy advice and fraud. You can sue your financial advisors because you only got a 5% ROI instead of 10%, but you're not going to win. In the case you're referring to I doubt a jury will believe the advisors  just gave him bad advice. My recollection is that what they (allegedly) did goes far beyond  incompetence or poor judgment. Of course they had a client who wasn't the sharpest tool in a box of feather dusters.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                Member #164603
                March 8, 2015
                604 Posts
                Posted: July 28, 2015, 11:43 am - IP Logged

If he invested the funds on my terms and it just didn't take - no.

If he did unauthorized things or misused my funds or I found out he was churning my stock to generate fees then yes.