Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pennsylvania Millionaire Raffle is Now SEASONAL

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 1 year ago by maringoman.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3814 Posts
Posted: August 4, 2015, 4:10 am - IP Logged

Yup, you read that subject line right.  I'd post a link but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Click the PA Lottery's website's "About Us & News" link, and then click on the "For Retailers" link.  Page 2 of the July 2015 newsletter for retailers has all the details.

Tix are still 20 bucks and the first drawing is October 31st.  There'll be a raffle four times per year as it is now "seasonal".  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
    Member #161539
    December 3, 2014
    328 Posts
    Posted: August 4, 2015, 5:48 am - IP Logged

Yup, you read that subject line right.  I'd post a link but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Click the PA Lottery's website's "About Us & News" link, and then click on the "For Retailers" link.  Page 2 of the July 2015 newsletter for retailers has all the details.

Tix are still 20 bucks and the first drawing is October 31st.  There'll be a raffle four times per year as it is now "seasonal".  G5

Seems very strange ... since they struggled to sell all the tickets for the July 2015 raffle ... which of course they did not ... but they did sell more than 300,000 tickets, so they still made a profit.

This is from the PA Lottery site:

More Millionaire Raffle, More Often

Millionaire Raffle has gone quarterly! After being offered twice per-year for the past 10 years, Millionaire Raffle has evolved into a seasonal game. The first fall drawing of Millionaire Raffle will be October 31. Everything about the game remains the same - it’s still a $20 ticket that offers 6,000 cash prizes totaling more than $5 million, including four $1 million top prizes.

More Millionaire Raffle, More Often !

I posted this in the other PA Raffle post about only selling 300,000 tickets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week I was figuring this out ... they really need to sell 300,000 tickets to cover all the prizes and have a small profit ...

Here are the figures ... I think I am accurate:

$100 x 5,892...... $589,200

$1000 x 1000...... $100,000

$100,000 (4)...... $400,000

$1 million (4).. $4,000,000

Total prize money awarded = $5,089,200 + $22,000 for retailers selling winning tickets.

$5,089,200 + $22,000 = $5,111,200 ...

So 300,000 tickets at $20 = $6,000,000 - $5,111,200 = $888,800 Profit and any tickets sold over 300,000 all gravy and more profit.

There is no reason for them not to keep having a raffle drawing ... when they can't sell at least 300,000 total tickets ... then they would have a problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the raffle first started, I was hoping it would be four times a year.

However, they are not saying exactly how many tickets will be sold ... if they sell enough (300,000) to make a profit and the raffle is held then this might make the "new" raffle a better deal ... if less than 500,000 tickets are sold but more than 300,000 are sold for the PA Lottery to be happy ... then this would make it a better raffle for the players ... much better odds to win a million dollars and the PA Lottery is also happy.

So they make less money on a raffle drawing but they are having four drawings now instead of two. The players don't have to wait for a drawing every six months ... every three months will come fast.

It's got my interest since the prizes are still the same ... will be interesting to see how this all works out in October.

It's a shame they did not do this earlier ... 5 or 6 years ago.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
      NY State
      United States
      Member #92609
      June 10, 2010
      3814 Posts
      Posted: August 4, 2015, 7:45 am - IP Logged

Seems very strange ... since they struggled to sell all the tickets for the July 2015 raffle ... which of course they did not ... but they did sell more than 300,000 tickets, so they still made a profit.

This is from the PA Lottery site:

More Millionaire Raffle, More Often

Millionaire Raffle has gone quarterly! After being offered twice per-year for the past 10 years, Millionaire Raffle has evolved into a seasonal game. The first fall drawing of Millionaire Raffle will be October 31. Everything about the game remains the same - it’s still a $20 ticket that offers 6,000 cash prizes totaling more than $5 million, including four $1 million top prizes.

More Millionaire Raffle, More Often !

I posted this in the other PA Raffle post about only selling 300,000 tickets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week I was figuring this out ... they really need to sell 300,000 tickets to cover all the prizes and have a small profit ...

Here are the figures ... I think I am accurate:

$100 x 5,892...... $589,200

$1000 x 1000...... $100,000

$100,000 (4)...... $400,000

$1 million (4).. $4,000,000

Total prize money awarded = $5,089,200 + $22,000 for retailers selling winning tickets.

$5,089,200 + $22,000 = $5,111,200 ...

So 300,000 tickets at $20 = $6,000,000 - $5,111,200 = $888,800 Profit and any tickets sold over 300,000 all gravy and more profit.

There is no reason for them not to keep having a raffle drawing ... when they can't sell at least 300,000 total tickets ... then they would have a problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the raffle first started, I was hoping it would be four times a year.

However, they are not saying exactly how many tickets will be sold ... if they sell enough (300,000) to make a profit and the raffle is held then this might make the "new" raffle a better deal ... if less than 500,000 tickets are sold but more than 300,000 are sold for the PA Lottery to be happy ... then this would make it a better raffle for the players ... much better odds to win a million dollars and the PA Lottery is also happy.

So they make less money on a raffle drawing but they are having four drawings now instead of two. The players don't have to wait for a drawing every six months ... every three months will come fast.

It's got my interest since the prizes are still the same ... will be interesting to see how this all works out in October.

It's a shame they did not do this earlier ... 5 or 6 years ago.

Holy Smokes CW!

Somehow I knew this new thread about the new seasonal Millionaire Raffle would catch your eye. 

And... you've asked the million dollar question too... how many tix they gonna sell???   If they start selling them in Sept, then I would guess they could sell 500,000.  But if they go on sale later than Sept, I dunno how many they could sell, or if they could even sell all 500,000 of 'em out. 

As for me and my gang, I gotta see what the boys wanna do.  Twunny bugs for one ticket is a lotta moolah.  Joe (the guy who won a NY Take5 Jackpot) would go for it, but Russ, Phil, Scotty, Greg, Mack or Ralphie might balk.  I'm thinking maybe I'll keep my mouth shut and only ask them if they wanna do a New Years raffle, but secretly go ahead and play the Halloween raffle by myself.  My wife has to periodically drive over to Port Jervis (she's over there about once a month) so she could easily whip over to Matamoras and get a few tix for us without me having to make a special trip for pool tix.  Can you imagine the boy's reaction if I won a cool mill on Halloween and I hadn't told them about the new seasonal raffle?   The NY State Police would probably have to pull my floatin' body outta The Hudson River!

Yeah, if I go off Interstate-84's Newburgh Beacon Bridge, it wont be cuz I jumped.  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
        Member #161539
        December 3, 2014
        328 Posts
        Posted: August 4, 2015, 10:05 am - IP Logged

Holy Smokes CW!

Somehow I knew this new thread about the new seasonal Millionaire Raffle would catch your eye. 

And... you've asked the million dollar question too... how many tix they gonna sell???   If they start selling them in Sept, then I would guess they could sell 500,000.  But if they go on sale later than Sept, I dunno how many they could sell, or if they could even sell all 500,000 of 'em out. 

As for me and my gang, I gotta see what the boys wanna do.  Twunny bugs for one ticket is a lotta moolah.  Joe (the guy who won a NY Take5 Jackpot) would go for it, but Russ, Phil, Scotty, Greg, Mack or Ralphie might balk.  I'm thinking maybe I'll keep my mouth shut and only ask them if they wanna do a New Years raffle, but secretly go ahead and play the Halloween raffle by myself.  My wife has to periodically drive over to Port Jervis (she's over there about once a month) so she could easily whip over to Matamoras and get a few tix for us without me having to make a special trip for pool tix.  Can you imagine the boy's reaction if I won a cool mill on Halloween and I hadn't told them about the new seasonal raffle?   The NY State Police would probably have to pull my floatin' body outta The Hudson River!

Yeah, if I go off Interstate-84's Newburgh Beacon Bridge, it wont be cuz I jumped.  G5

I didn't have time to post this in my earlier post ... my game plan would change to cut money back from other games ... like PB for sure and maybe also MM.

I am not playing them very much now anyway ... with the better raffle odds at winning $1 million dollars and also $100,000 ... that's what I was always hoping for on PB and MM ... trying to get five numbers for a million or two ... but with those terrible odds.

Now I plan to throw that money at odds of 125,000 : 1 to win a million dollars. Getting a chance to do this four times a year will be good ... money can be saved to buy tickets for every quarterly drawing.

I may also cut back big time on the Match 6 (6/49) game ... as I have posted many times that the 6/49 game is always getting hit at around $1 million but with those humongous odds for a 6/49 game ... why not go after the same amount ... $1 million ... with better odds.

The Match 6 (6/49) is approaching $1 million  again ... the Thursday drawing is $900,000 so I am buying two tickets ... but I used to throw more money at that game and wasn't winning much of anything. The raffle drawing just seems like a better deal with the odds.

Everyone will have a new game plan of their own ... maybe even buying all those $20 scratch off tickets that people buy ... the money might be better spent on $20 raffle tickets.

Of course, if the number of raffle tickets sold is under 500,000 then the new drawings will be a better deal but if everyone should quit playing other lottery games then there might be more raffle tickets sold, making the odds slightly worse ... but still better than the big games trying to win a million.

Who can say ... at this point any predictions of what people will play in the future ... very hard to make ... but players now have a new option and can rethink their "game plan" !

One more thing has entered into my thinking ... this is all just an experiment with the PA Lottery ... they have no clue as to how this is all going to play out. Perhaps they will try this for one year and if it's not working, then the PA Raffle becomes history.

One more thing ... since most states seem to have cut back on raffle drawings or stopped having them all together ... maybe more people from "out of state" will be driving to PA to buy tickets. The PA Lottery may be thinking this also.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
          NY
          United States
          Member #121961
          January 21, 2012
          3159 Posts
          Posted: August 4, 2015, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I always grab a couple tickets each draw, but I'm surprised they would have a 10/31 raffle so close to the New Years draw.

United States
            Member #161539
            December 3, 2014
            328 Posts
            Posted: August 4, 2015, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

I always grab a couple tickets each draw, but I'm surprised they would have a 10/31 raffle so close to the New Years draw.

Well going by what the PA Lottery has said ... I guess there will not be a New Years' drawing anymore. They are using the word "seasonal".

The new drawing schedule should look like this:

Fall - Oct 31st

Winter - Jan 31st

Spring - April 30th

Summer - July 31st

I'm just going with what has been said so far and the first new raffle drawing being Oct 31st. I would think they should be selling tickets shortly, if they hope to sell 500,000 or at least 300,000 tickets by then.

I don't know how they will manage to move that many tickets every few months ... it may be their goal is to sell at least 300,000 tickets to cover all expenses and hope for additional sales over 300,000.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out ... when they didn't sell out for the last raffle drawing in July ... the last thing I would expect would be the Lottery having a raffle drawing every three months. However, I'm glad they made this decision ... I'm willing to try it.

I'm just throwing money away on the other games with higher odds ... I have nothing to lose and it might pay off ... also, I might actually save some money in the end ... playing every three months instead of weekly or monthly.

This could be like a small "El Gordo" drawing four times a year !!!

That could be the next big thing for the lottery ... several states on the East Coast getting together for a "once a year" drawing like El Gordo ... sell tickets all year and have a big bunch of winners in Dec. ... make it like El Gordo. It could grow with more states joining in years to come.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: August 4, 2015, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

This is a good thing for those who like raffles. I didn't go to PA this summer so I missed out on the last raffle but I'm sure I'll be in on the next one. I do well on this raffle.

That money's gone fo ever