Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Windows 10

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 1 year ago by MonEl.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
Economy class
Belgium
Member #123700
February 27, 2012
4035 Posts
Posted: August 9, 2015, 6:51 am - IP Logged

I installed Windows 10. Sometimes I get numbers separated by spaces as link to open Skype.
This can be annoying, especially for lottery statistics in html. How do you like it?

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1704 Posts
    Posted: August 9, 2015, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

I installed Windows 10. Sometimes I get numbers separated by spaces as link to open Skype.
    This can be annoying, especially for lottery statistics in html. How do you like it?

Is the new browser, Microsoft Edge, integrated with Windows 10, or is it a separate installation upgrade ??  How is Microsoft Edge ??  Are you having any other problems with the LP website, with Windows 10/Edge ???

TODD has not commented on any issues with Windows/Edge and the LP website ??

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23260 Posts
      Posted: August 9, 2015, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

Just disable the Skype click-to-call plugin in your web browser.  It's not a Windows 10 thing, it's a Skype thing.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23260 Posts
        Posted: August 9, 2015, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

Is the new browser, Microsoft Edge, integrated with Windows 10, or is it a separate installation upgrade ??  How is Microsoft Edge ??  Are you having any other problems with the LP website, with Windows 10/Edge ???

TODD has not commented on any issues with Windows/Edge and the LP website ??

LP works great in Edge.  No issues I'm aware of.  I run Windows 10 on nearly all of my computers.  It's a wonderful operating system.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
          Dallas, Texas
          United States
          Member #4549
          May 2, 2004
          1678 Posts
          Posted: August 9, 2015, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

LP works great in Edge.  No issues I'm aware of.  I run Windows 10 on nearly all of my computers.  It's a wonderful operating system.

Windows 10 installations were flawless on both windows 8 and 8.1. Runs smooth, quicker starting,looks to be maybe the best OS we've seen since XP! The menu system is back, they added Candy Crush (lol) too!

No problems on LP at all. Edge looks good with a familiar feel. It's not like some totally off the wall new browser. You won't even realize you're not running IE.

I'm impressed with it.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
            Member #81314
            October 16, 2009
            18985 Posts
            Posted: August 9, 2015, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

Windows 10 installations were flawless on both windows 8 and 8.1. Runs smooth, quicker starting,looks to be maybe the best OS we've seen since XP! The menu system is back, they added Candy Crush (lol) too!

No problems on LP at all. Edge looks good with a familiar feel. It's not like some totally off the wall new browser. You won't even realize you're not running IE.

I'm impressed with it.

Good to know.  I was waiting to hear about it, before I download it.Banana

The Struggle is real!

kreative1's avatar - flower2
              NE PA
              United States
              Member #127838
              May 10, 2012
              1230 Posts
              Posted: August 9, 2015, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

Good to know.  I was waiting to hear about it, before I download it.Banana

you and me both mzdufflebaglady lol

candy crush is addicting and another one I just found is flow free, seems easy...at first..

anything to keep some brain cells, part of why I like trying to figure the lottery out

so far....I haven't LOL

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                Economy class
                Belgium
                Member #123700
                February 27, 2012
                4035 Posts
                Posted: August 10, 2015, 5:25 am - IP Logged

The installation went fine, but I will reinstall all in a month or earlier. Skype was bought by MS, they must have integrated it in Edge. The Internet Explorer next to it, doesn't use Skype. I will look it up later. There is no such plugg in programs, I would have removed it.

Dallas, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #4549
                  May 2, 2004
                  1678 Posts
                  Posted: August 13, 2015, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

It did not take long for the pop ups to catch up with Windows 10. Microsoft is already releasing fixes for security issues.

This is not to say everyone will be affected.

The pop ups got to the older Windows 8 machine that I had set aside a year or so ago. Got so bad, browsing was like 1988 with a 2400 baud modem. Pages were freezing with the notification of a long running script. Videos crashing. Several times I was notified a problem had occurred and the (LP) webpage needed to be recovered; tv listing would freeze and BOOM! a popup.

Can't say it was a problem with LP at all since I had several pages open. But if you are experiencing problems.......

According to the Microsoft community Adblocker will not work with Edge. They recommend Ad Muncher, now a free program.

I'm not recommending or even suggesting you dash over and install anything. The fixes being released may resolve any issues (if you are having issues). But before you do anything, check for and install all the updates which were released Tuesday.

Again this is was an older upgraded Windows 8 machine. I've had no problems with the upgraded Windows 8.1 machine.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                    Member #59354
                    March 13, 2008
                    3964 Posts
                    Posted: August 13, 2015, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

MS needs to release a XP-Pro like OS for those of us who don't care for all the bloat-ware.   I don't play games, use skype

etc....  I don't want a OS that looks like a large phone.   I am not saying that win-10 is not for some people but that it's not

for me.  I have converted a couple of my computers to linux because I have seen nothing that makes me want to upgrade. 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                      USA
                      United States
                      Member #152799
                      February 25, 2014
                      1090 Posts
                      Posted: August 13, 2015, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

Just received my new laptop on Monday and went ahead with the Windows 10 upgrade. I had installed Skype prior to the upgrade and now my mouse is inoperable. Called Costco's tech support which is a joke in itself and got nowhere. Frustrated, I packed it up returned it to my local warehouse.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                        Member #52345
                        May 21, 2007
                        2657 Posts
                        Posted: August 13, 2015, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Just received my new laptop on Monday and went ahead with the Windows 10 upgrade. I had installed Skype prior to the upgrade and now my mouse is inoperable. Called Costco's tech support which is a joke in itself and got nowhere. Frustrated, I packed it up returned it to my local warehouse.

Type 

the more I read about the latest and greatest from Micro$oft,the more I appreciate my antique Windows Vista jejeje

Dallas, Texas
                          United States
                          Member #4549
                          May 2, 2004
                          1678 Posts
                          Posted: August 13, 2015, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

MS needs to release a XP-Pro like OS for those of us who don't care for all the bloat-ware.   I don't play games, use skype

etc....  I don't want a OS that looks like a large phone.   I am not saying that win-10 is not for some people but that it's not

for me.  I have converted a couple of my computers to linux because I have seen nothing that makes me want to upgrade. 

RL

That would be great RL. I still use XP on the CNC.

For the moment I'm back on Win7.

Yep. Windows 8 and Windows 10 have more than their fair share of bloat ware, most of which you can download yourself if you truly want it. And you can get additional apps and/or games at the store. Think that was one of the reasons, and I had plenty, that I set Windows 8 aside. For a pure internet surfer it would have been great with icons for Facebook, Twitter, ebay, Amazon, Xbox, Webster, Britannica, Zinnia, and other stuff that made toolbars obsolete.

But if I wanted something on the machine itself, HOLY SMOKE! Now we're talking LOST. Begs the question what's the sense of having a 500 gig drive if you're going to use it? And don't know what is on it?

United States
                            Member #132100
                            August 26, 2012
                            1076 Posts
                            Posted: August 13, 2015, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

This is not what most of you want to hear about, but I am using right now and have for years "Windows XP".

For a browser I am using and have also for many years "Firefox" the version is a little old  37.0.2.

Both, Windows XP and Firefox work just fine, they are very responsive (quick to react) and fast, sometimes I have 15 to maybe 20 or more web pages open at the same time, of course, when I have so many web pages open at the same time Firefox slows down and maybe mostly if they are video pages from "YouTube", but I think that most of the time if I only have about 10 Web pages or fewer open at the same time there is no slow down at all or very little.

My Firefox browser is most of the time very responsive and fast, only sometimes but not very often there are "scripts" problems and slowdowns on some few Web pages, with Firefox the biggest source of problems have been "Adobe Flash Player" always telling me that my installed version is not secure and outdated and don't like to "Auto-Update" any software and "Adobe Flash Player" seems to UpGrade way too often for my taste.

As to Windows XP or at least the Win XP that I have, it is also very responsive and very fast most of the time, of course, there are some software programs that are slow and or very slow, but those are like such, because that is the nature of those programs and not because there is something wrong with Windows XP, some programs are just slow and resource hogs, after all, I am running a 32 bits version of Win XP and it is 2.33 Gigaherts with only 3072 MB of memory RAM and it is a Duo CPU E6550 not great for today's standards.

But I suspect that my computer works much better than many newer computers, to me it seems to be almost lightning fast, but I keep it like that.

My very old, very limited and almost antique Win98SE computer was the fastest computer that I have ever seen and used, it was super responsive and very fast or so it most of the time seemed to be.

But I keep the operating systems lite, uncluttered and clean, how many people really do that? Not very many, I mean "very clean", unlike many people I clean them-up to the extreme.

That sometimes breaks things, but you need to break a few eggs to make mayonnaise, in that way I learn what can be done and what should not be done, after all, these are only "working" partitions and they are a dime a dozen to me, that is they are very easy for me to make-up as needed.

--------------

In all my life I had only 3 operating systems: DOS (Commodore 64), Win98SE and WinXP, I liked all 3 o them, but I think that I do like WinXP Professional SP3 the best.

The comments that I read sometimes on the Lottery Post makes me think that people just don't keep their computers (operating systems) in good enough shape.

Well. to each their own.