Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NC habit of ending games with top prizes

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Scratch$.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
snapdragon's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
Charlotte
United States
Member #111862
June 4, 2011
25 Posts
Posted: August 12, 2015, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering if other states end their scratch off games while there are still top prizes left?  NC does this on a regular basis.  A few months ago, I asked this question on their forum, and they replied that it's to make way for all the new games which are presented monthly.  To me this just seem like another way of screwing the players, and some what of a bait and switch;  I  also noticed that when games are coming to an end, it's more difficult to find them in the stores.  Do you guys in other states have the same thing happen?

NY
    United States
    Member #167035
    June 22, 2015
    1340 Posts
    Posted: August 12, 2015, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

yes know a game in NY that they pulled it and not a single top prize was claimed - because it was a christmas themed game was only supposed to be around for the holidays

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #149492
      December 2, 2013
      919 Posts
      Posted: August 13, 2015, 12:12 am - IP Logged

In California they pull games with top prizes remaining all the time, mostly because sales languish at some point in the game's lifecycle.  However, there are some games that usually sell until all TP's are claimed.

Lexington, SC
        United States
        Member #153877
        March 28, 2014
        81 Posts
        Posted: August 13, 2015, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

South Carolina does this primarily with $1, $2, $3 and $5.  They'll do it with $10 games if one top prize is left and no one has claimed it if a specific amount of time..  Then again, I haven't seen many SC scratch games that have lasted more than 10 - 12 months in active circulation.

I'm pretty sure as far as SCEL is concerned, the available prizes remaining must drop below a certain level before they pull a game but I couldn't begin to imagine what's the limit.

Hysteria's 2016 Big Wins (Georgia): None Yet!!!
        Hysteria's 2016 Big Wins (S. Car): Gold Millions - $200 | $500 Frenzy - $500 | Gold Rush - $200 |

**Big Wins for me are anything at or above $200.**

Jacksonville
          United States
          Member #153806
          March 26, 2014
          345 Posts
          Posted: August 13, 2015, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

One of the few good things the Florida Lottery does is wait until all top prizes are claimed before pulling a game.  They had one huge notable exception (Billion Dollar Blockbuster), but they will typically let a game sell out before they retire the game.

JAMORA's avatar - ladyclover
            NC
            United States
            Member #164399
            February 28, 2015
            1938 Posts
            Posted: August 13, 2015, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

Kinda hard to win the top prize if it never left the warehouse (or even got printed for that matter)!

Though that's not my biggest beef with NC scratgh offs.....What ticks me off is scratching a ticket with a multiplier, then finding the multiplied "prize " isn't even in the prize matrix! If I scratch a x5 on a $10 ticket, I expect a $50 prize minimum, only to get 5 x $2! Break even! WTH! Very deceptive!

"Don't waste time, it's the stuff life's made of..."

snapdragon's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Charlotte
              United States
              Member #111862
              June 4, 2011
              25 Posts
              Posted: August 13, 2015, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

Kinda hard to win the top prize if it never left the warehouse (or even got printed for that matter)!

Though that's not my biggest beef with NC scratgh offs.....What ticks me off is scratching a ticket with a multiplier, then finding the multiplied "prize " isn't even in the prize matrix! If I scratch a x5 on a $10 ticket, I expect a $50 prize minimum, only to get 5 x $2! Break even! WTH! Very deceptive!

I know how you feel JAMORA; the new Mega Bucks, what a let down.  I think the tickets get printed but don't leave the warehouse.

JAMORA's avatar - ladyclover
                NC
                United States
                Member #164399
                February 28, 2015
                1938 Posts
                Posted: August 13, 2015, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Ever notice how a top prize gets won fairly soon, then nothing big for a loooong stretch....they milk it while people are excited.....I've also noticed that some rolls have multiple good prizes...but most are pitifully losing rolls...with long stretches of nothing....they print a lot of losing tickets....If they shared total number of printed tickets for a game vs those with prizes, I'd probably never buy one....lol

"Don't waste time, it's the stuff life's made of..."

NY
                  United States
                  Member #167035
                  June 22, 2015
                  1340 Posts
                  Posted: August 14, 2015, 6:36 am - IP Logged

Ever notice how a top prize gets won fairly soon, then nothing big for a loooong stretch....they milk it while people are excited.....I've also noticed that some rolls have multiple good prizes...but most are pitifully losing rolls...with long stretches of nothing....they print a lot of losing tickets....If they shared total number of printed tickets for a game vs those with prizes, I'd probably never buy one....lol

some states list that info w amount of tickets printed but most others u are able to figure that out from the information they give u on their website (i know TN and IL to my knowledge do not post the detailed odds information online)

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
                    Member #158848
                    September 5, 2014
                    294 Posts
                    Posted: September 5, 2015, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

Most states will end games early when sales slow down significantly and the tickets aren't bringing in enough money to pay the larger prizes.

Illinois quietly ended their $30 thousand a week for 30 years game, and I don't believe they awarded a single one of the top prizes. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, and please provide a link.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions