Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Sticking To My Guns

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 1 year ago by SergeM.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Riverhead, NY
United States
Member #149336
November 28, 2013
3 Posts
Posted: August 13, 2015, 2:05 am - IP Logged

Well! - it has been a while since I checked this board after I made my first post as a new member.  It appears that even in a forum that is set up for people who share a common interest --- (or obsession, if you prefer) --- one is not spared snarky comments. I refer to the various opinions on my choice to pursue the combo of  '6-5-3-8' for a straight hit on New York's Win4[See the thread "Patience, Patience, Patience'.] I find that these digits do come up frequently enough --- not in any predictable order, but it's a 24-way number that comes up often enough.  I know that one should pay attention to statistics.  But I also know that the darndest combinations have come up in the various numbers games: '1-2-3'., or '0-0-0', etc. 

The fact is nobody has a crystal ball. Anything can happen.  And besides, this is supposed to be a friendly, encouraging forum.  Or so I thought. 

Nevertheless, let me share a lottery story that happened to me when I was living with my parents in Port Charlotte, Florida during the 90's. Florida is where my parents retired after selling their eastern Long Island home in Sag Harbor back in 1986. 

Florida has their version of our Take5.  They call theirs Fantasy 5.  Same thing: pick five out of 39 numbers.  When this game first started, it boasted jackpots of $300k or more. It was Florida's second largest game at that time - the early 90's.  Some of you lottery players, if you happen to be long-time snowbirds who go back and forth between NY and FL might know about or remember the following event I'm about to tell you.

One week, I decided to play the numbers 3, 6, 9, 18, and 21.  I put the numbers in and then went to work in Venice.  Coming home after work, I stopped at the local Circle K just around the corner from our house. When I checked my numbers for that night's drawing, I had to do a double take.  I got them!  Well, nobody slept that night. Or, at least, nobody went to bed early.  I had to be up half the night thinking about all the things I was going to do with the money.  The very next morning I called the hotline and sort of got the wind knocked out of my sails. 

I learned that I was one of 83 people who matched the five numbers.  So, by the time the smoke cleared, I won $5014. Herein lies the lesson about playing number patterns that are TOO common - something I would learn later on when I started to read advice on the subject of lotteries. Because I chose a number pattern that was too common, I missed out on what would have been a $400,000 win (multiply 5014 by 82 or 83).  Needless to say, I will remember those numbers to my dying day.

A lottery or gaming publication that I was subscribing to at the time mentioned this particular state lottery game and the outcome. It was big news. It was reported that no state lottery before then ever had that many winners of a top prize.

Still, it was the most money I had ever won in a state lottery in my life.....and still is.   I can also say that I'm the only one in my family to ever win the top prize in a major lottery game.  [And i don't play scratch-offs. They're not my favorite. Maybe once in blue moon....]

So, I'll just stick to my plan and pursue '6-5-3-8' for New York's Win4 game. And to those of you who responded with encouraging comments, thank you.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5588 Posts
    Posted: August 13, 2015, 8:43 am - IP Logged

Well! - it has been a while since I checked this board after I made my first post as a new member.  It appears that even in a forum that is set up for people who share a common interest --- (or obsession, if you prefer) --- one is not spared snarky comments. I refer to the various opinions on my choice to pursue the combo of  '6-5-3-8' for a straight hit on New York's Win4[See the thread "Patience, Patience, Patience'.] I find that these digits do come up frequently enough --- not in any predictable order, but it's a 24-way number that comes up often enough.  I know that one should pay attention to statistics.  But I also know that the darndest combinations have come up in the various numbers games: '1-2-3'., or '0-0-0', etc. 

The fact is nobody has a crystal ball. Anything can happen.  And besides, this is supposed to be a friendly, encouraging forum.  Or so I thought. 

Nevertheless, let me share a lottery story that happened to me when I was living with my parents in Port Charlotte, Florida during the 90's. Florida is where my parents retired after selling their eastern Long Island home in Sag Harbor back in 1986. 

Florida has their version of our Take5.  They call theirs Fantasy 5.  Same thing: pick five out of 39 numbers.  When this game first started, it boasted jackpots of $300k or more. It was Florida's second largest game at that time - the early 90's.  Some of you lottery players, if you happen to be long-time snowbirds who go back and forth between NY and FL might know about or remember the following event I'm about to tell you.

One week, I decided to play the numbers 3, 6, 9, 18, and 21.  I put the numbers in and then went to work in Venice.  Coming home after work, I stopped at the local Circle K just around the corner from our house. When I checked my numbers for that night's drawing, I had to do a double take.  I got them!  Well, nobody slept that night. Or, at least, nobody went to bed early.  I had to be up half the night thinking about all the things I was going to do with the money.  The very next morning I called the hotline and sort of got the wind knocked out of my sails. 

I learned that I was one of 83 people who matched the five numbers.  So, by the time the smoke cleared, I won $5014. Herein lies the lesson about playing number patterns that are TOO common - something I would learn later on when I started to read advice on the subject of lotteries. Because I chose a number pattern that was too common, I missed out on what would have been a $400,000 win (multiply 5014 by 82 or 83).  Needless to say, I will remember those numbers to my dying day.

A lottery or gaming publication that I was subscribing to at the time mentioned this particular state lottery game and the outcome. It was big news. It was reported that no state lottery before then ever had that many winners of a top prize.

Still, it was the most money I had ever won in a state lottery in my life.....and still is.   I can also say that I'm the only one in my family to ever win the top prize in a major lottery game.  [And i don't play scratch-offs. They're not my favorite. Maybe once in blue moon....]

So, I'll just stick to my plan and pursue '6-5-3-8' for New York's Win4 game. And to those of you who responded with encouraging comments, thank you.

Interesting story.

The same thing will happen one day with Texas' All or Nothing. It's a fixed payout of $250,000, a keno type game. Match 12 of 12, or 0 of 12, out of 24 numbers and get the jackpot. Yesterday there were 215 players that had either 10 out of 12, or 2 out of 12 for $50. What this means is that 215 players either played numbers 1-12, or 13-24. If 1-12 or 13-24 had been drawn, there would have been 215 jackpot winners, dividing up $5 million, which is the maximum payout in this game. Each "winner" would have received $23,255.

I wouldn't be one of them. If I win, I want it all.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19816 Posts
      Posted: August 13, 2015, 11:14 am - IP Logged

"One week, I decided to play the numbers 3, 6, 9, 18, and 21."

That has been a good set of numbers in Ohio's Rolling Cash5(5/39) too. While it has never matched 5, over the years  of 3826 drawings it has match4 three times and paid back 43% of what it would have cost to play every drawing.  I wonder if it has done as well in other 5/39 games.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Riverhead, NY
        United States
        Member #149336
        November 28, 2013
        3 Posts
        Posted: August 14, 2015, 1:25 am - IP Logged

Interesting story.

The same thing will happen one day with Texas' All or Nothing. It's a fixed payout of $250,000, a keno type game. Match 12 of 12, or 0 of 12, out of 24 numbers and get the jackpot. Yesterday there were 215 players that had either 10 out of 12, or 2 out of 12 for $50. What this means is that 215 players either played numbers 1-12, or 13-24. If 1-12 or 13-24 had been drawn, there would have been 215 jackpot winners, dividing up $5 million, which is the maximum payout in this game. Each "winner" would have received $23,255.

I wouldn't be one of them. If I win, I want it all.

I was amazed to find that information on that Florida Fantasy 5 drawing was still available.  That fateful drawing in which 83 people had those numbers took place on December 5, 1994: one day after my birthday!  I'm 53, now.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19816 Posts
          Posted: August 14, 2015, 2:58 am - IP Logged

I was amazed to find that information on that Florida Fantasy 5 drawing was still available.  That fateful drawing in which 83 people had those numbers took place on December 5, 1994: one day after my birthday!  I'm 53, now.

Remember March 3, 2005 when PowerBall had 110 second place winners, most of which got their numbers from a fortune cookie.  Back then second prize was only $100K and $500K with power play.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
            nc
            United States
            Member #99520
            October 26, 2010
            375 Posts
            Posted: August 14, 2015, 9:32 am - IP Logged

Remember March 3, 2005 when PowerBall had 110 second place winners, most of which got their numbers from a fortune cookie.  Back then second prize was only $100K and $500K with power play.

I remember! I remember the investigating the conspiracy theory it was a set up.... Such fun to read the news.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
              South Carolina
              United States
              Member #77167
              July 15, 2009
              554 Posts
              Posted: August 15, 2015, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Palmetto Cash 5  August 14, 2015

2 - 4 - 7 - 8 - 9 Power-Up - 3

There was no match 5 winner--but if all of these pick 4 winners had won  their payout would have been less than $100,000 or $300,000

match 4 winners-- 12

match 4 powered up winners  17

total match 4 winners  29

V. Aggregate Payout Liability Limits

1. Power-Up® Option Not Selected: There is an aggregate payout liability limit of One Million ($1,000,000) Dollars per draw on any set of numbers qualifying for a top-tier prize of One Hundred Thousand ($100,000) Dollars. If the number of winning plays exceeds ten (10), then the prize awarded for each play shall be limited to a proportionate share of the One Million ($1,000,000) Dollars.
              2. Power-Up® Option selected: There is a separate aggregate payout liability limit of Two and One Half Million ($2,500,000) Dollars per draw on any set of numbers qualifying for a top tier prize in excess of One Hundred Thousand ($100,000) Dollars. If the sum of the top prizes from the winning plays exceeds Two and One Half Million ($2,500,000) Dollars, then the prize awarded for each play shall be limited to a proportionate share of the Two and One Half Million ($2,500,000) Dollars.
                SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                Economy class
                Belgium
                Member #123700
                February 27, 2012
                4035 Posts
                Posted: August 15, 2015, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Mg? Good luck!