Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Any update on the Powerball matrix change?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Ron5995.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
Member #131594
August 14, 2012
171 Posts
Posted: August 24, 2015, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Sad WaveyAnyone have any news or updates on the Powerball matrix change?  Are the various states going to step down how many draws you can buy in advance?

Thanks!

Lotto Lucy

New York
    United States
    Member #157288
    July 14, 2014
    170 Posts
    Posted: August 25, 2015, 2:22 pm - IP Logged
      Candy-Lane's avatar - yocco

United States
      Member #167255
      July 2, 2015
      102 Posts
      Posted: August 25, 2015, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for posting the update Enigmas!  I guess Sept 30th 2015 will be the last day I play Powerball.  I think they are making a huge mistake! I do not think the new changes are going to go over well.

Good luck to those who continue to the game!

United States
        Member #131594
        August 14, 2012
        171 Posts
        Posted: August 25, 2015, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

Thanks.  I wonder if they're still on track for an October 7th start.  I have asked my lottery but they're not answering. ??

Lotto Lucy

New York
          United States
          Member #157288
          July 14, 2014
          170 Posts
          Posted: August 25, 2015, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

I will probably play when the jackpot goes over 500 million, but that's it. One ticket and I'm done.

United States
            Member #131594
            August 14, 2012
            171 Posts
            Posted: August 26, 2015, 10:53 am - IP Logged

I finally did hear back from my state lottery that the new game will commence on October 7th.  I am very disappointed there is no info on their website, no notice that you cannot buy advanced draws, etc.

Lotto Lucy

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #94283
              July 17, 2010
              2284 Posts
              Posted: August 26, 2015, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

If I counted correctly it's 12 draws away.  My state only sells 10 in advance, so they would put up notice till 2 after 2 more draws when the limited draw is actually in effect.  Dumb, but that's how they do it so you don't know until you show up at the retailer with your playslip already made out.

United States
                Member #131594
                August 14, 2012
                171 Posts
                Posted: August 26, 2015, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

If I counted correctly it's 12 draws away.  My state only sells 10 in advance, so they would put up notice till 2 after 2 more draws when the limited draw is actually in effect.  Dumb, but that's how they do it so you don't know until you show up at the retailer with your playslip already made out.

That is exactly why I was wondering.  My state does 15 draws in advance, and it is time to get tickets for my next round, but there is not a notice or word to be found anywhere that I can't buy 15 draws.  The lottery website still says 15 draws.  As you say, dumb, and very poor customer service if you ask me.

Lotto Lucy

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                  Member #142777
                  May 18, 2013
                  263 Posts
                  Posted: August 26, 2015, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

I will probably play when the jackpot goes over 500 million, but that's it. One ticket and I'm done.

Yea right.  Everyone thats been spouting off about not playing much or at all when the odds change will be the ones secretly sneaking out and buying the most tickets when the jackpot gets to an all time record!   

Its alright to not be politically correct thanks to Donald Trump and the new frustrated majority. 

Its alright to say you'll be buying even more tickets because you have brought your guilt ridden greed out of the closet!  That way when you win the billion all to yourself you can stand up at the press conference on world wide tv and proclaim: 

"Im rich,  Im very very rich!"ROFL

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

Wyomissing, PA
                    United States
                    Member #161050
                    November 15, 2014
                    301 Posts
                    Posted: August 27, 2015, 10:40 am - IP Logged

Thanks for posting the update Enigmas!  I guess Sept 30th 2015 will be the last day I play Powerball.  I think they are making a huge mistake! I do not think the new changes are going to go over well.

Good luck to those who continue to the game!

Huge mistake indeed!  Sales are already lousy. Making the odds worse will reduce sales even further. Most recent PB jackpot, despite being widely advertised as $100 million, only increased by the minimum 10 million. Wasn't all that long ago when $100 million would generate a decent bump. Not these days.

Another motive for changing the matrix is reducing the prize liability for 2nd place. While most players won't notice nor care, many savvy players who also play for 2nd place will. I rarely play MM anymore despite it being less costly due to the odds of hitting 2nd being so much worse. Sad to see PB following suit.

Oh well, leaves more money for me to play other games, including instants and PA raffles.

The biggest loser will be under performing lotteries that rely disproportionately on PB and MM for sales; riding the coattails of larger, more successful lotteries. The days are numbered for PB and MM, and many lotteries are already moving forward promoting local games, regional partnerships (ie. Cash4Life; NY, PA, NJ), and trying different marketing strategies beyond just touting super-sized jackpots.