Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 2:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The PA Lottery Ripped Me Off Again ... Part 2

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Crazy Wombat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #161539
December 3, 2014
328 Posts
Posted: August 28, 2015, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Not sure if anyone is really interested, you may remember in May I posted about being ripped off and having trouble with a self-serve lottery terminal ... my Cash 5 numbers didn't print out right and I should have been charged $4 for four QPs but a $5 ticket printed out and the numbers were pretty much all the same.

Anyway, today I go to a Sheetz self-serve terminal and had a card filled out to play three games for the Treasure Hunt for tomorrow. It should have cost only $3 for "one drawing" ... I have no extra drawing boxes filled out on the left side.

I already had $26 dollars in the machine for this ticket and was also going to buy some other tickets ... MM, PB and C4L.

The TH ticket printed for six draws instead of one draw ... total cost $18 instead of $3. I didn't pay close attention to the little window showing the ticket before I hit "Purchase".

I am getting fed up with these self serve terminals ... a warning not to put large amounts of money in these terminals. I went to the woman at the lottery terminal (run by humans) and she said since I had bought it through the self-serve terminal, she could do nothing.

I am going to work with small bills or small amounts of money from now on ... if I had just put $5 in at a time the $18 ticket would not have printed ... it would of course asked for more money ... then I would have noticed that something wasn't right.

I could also just go to a "human run terminal" from now on and check everything before I walk away.

I just don't know what to do about these self-serve terminals ... I haven't had any problems since May and that Cash 5 ticket, so I was off my game today ... not paying close attention to what the little window was showing before I hit "Purchase".

Just a heads up to be careful with these self-serve terminals ... don't be in a hurry to buy and run.

I am going to check everything from now on ... I don't care if there is a line of people behind me.

If you cash a large winning ticket and buy more tickets, you may lose a great deal of money on a ticket that you really didn't want.

Good luck to all.

CW

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #94283
    July 17, 2010
    2284 Posts
    Posted: August 28, 2015, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

Sorry CW.  Those self serve machines are iffy here too.  Ours don't have a preview window, that sounds interesting.  The biggest problem here is putting your money in and then discovering that it won't take the playslip, or that it won't read the playslip once it takes it.  Unfortunately there's no way to test it without putting money in.  I've gotten burnt so many times having to buy a QP or a scratch off that I didn't want, so now I only put money in when I want a QP and go to a clerk to play with a slip.

But the clerks here are almost as bad.  Just last week I handed one 2 play slips.  Got home and noticed she had run one slip twice.  Grrr.  How does someone even manage to make that kind of mistake?  So now I have duplicate $10 tickets for the next 5 weeks.

Wyomissing, PA
      United States
      Member #161050
      November 15, 2014
      301 Posts
      Posted: August 28, 2015, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

The playslip card reader is probably dirty due to players inserting instant tickets in the slot by mistake. A design flaw that irks both players and retailers alike. That's likely what caused the issue you wrote about back in May.

Numbers tickets in PA can't be canceled (used to be possible, but no more), so there would be nothing the retailer could do.

Personally, I virtually never use playslips in self-serve terminals. I just enter the numbers in manually, which doesn't take much longer, since I have them well memorized and can enter them in fast. However, I do use playslips frequently at clerk operated terminals, and have never had a card misread. Much of the reason is the reader is different, and less prone to getting dirty; seemingly more reliable.

Good suggestion about putting money in after inserting the playslip to avoid getting overcharged; playing extra draws one didn't want.

United States
        Member #161539
        December 3, 2014
        328 Posts
        Posted: August 28, 2015, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

HoLeeKau ... yes, the self-serve machines actually show the ticket ... date, cost and the numbers being played. However, if you put a play slip into the machine with numbers being played, you don't see the window ... the ticket just prints. Only when a person manually picks their numbers on the terminal window glass, then you get to see your actual ticket before you hit Purchase.

I had a card filled out for just one drawing and my mistake was having $26 already in the machine and it grabbed $18 instead of $3.

Ron ... you may be right about all those flakes from scratch off tickets getting into everything. I just don't know ... I may have to quit using play slips and input my numbers from now on.

Maybe just quit the lottery all together ... I'm considering only spending money on some raffle tickets since the raffle is now going to be every 3 months ... I've played and spent a small fortune on the lottery for many years and never won much. I see it as money being thrown away so why not throw it away on the raffle game with the better odds. If I buy five $20 tickets every three months ... $400 a year ... much less money than I spend now in a year covering games that pay me nothing anyway.

I can easily budget $400 over a year and enjoy my life and not worry about covering games every day or week.

The raffle tickets went on sale this week for the Oct 31st drawing.

Maryland
          United States
          Member #162434
          January 2, 2015
          891 Posts
          Posted: August 29, 2015, 5:22 am - IP Logged

Yea the few times I have had to use the machine to get Pick 3 tickets I always use small dollars.  The machines are handy but often a PAIN this way!!!

United States
            Member #161539
            December 3, 2014
            328 Posts
            Posted: August 29, 2015, 6:35 am - IP Logged

I just want to add as I am thinking everything over ... as it happened last May and yesterday.

Everything happens so fast when you already have money in the self-serve terminal. If you are playing a card or play slip with numbers already filled out or no numbers filled out, just QPs ... that was what I did in May.

Sometimes I take a play slip and just mark 3, 4, or 5 QPs ... no numbers played at all, just the QP boxes marked. Last May I had a Cash 5 card filled out for four QPs.

Yesterday, I had a Treasure Hunt card filled out for three sets of numbers for one draw only.

I was wrong in my first post about checking the ticket first in the terminal window. This DOES NOT happen with play slips. This is where it gets messy or really bad ... a person with a large amount of money already in the machine can really get burned using play slips, if that terminal is not working properly.

Ron5995 is right ... if you always input your numbers or pick QPs on the terminal screen ... then you will always see the ticket in the terminal window before you hit Purchase. So buying tickets that way (in PA for sure) should not be a problem.

So when you already have a large amount of money in the terminal and you run a play slip ... this is where the problem is.

First you insert the play slip ... it goes in fast and comes back out fast, after being scanned. Then the ticket is printed ... you have no idea what numbers you are actually getting or how much money has been taken away ... till you look at the printed ticket. Buying tickets that way "can be" dangerous ... you have no chance to check anything ... no ticket in the terminal window, it just prints and may take more money than what you had planned to spend.

As Ron said ... if a person always inputs their numbers or QPs on the terminal screen then you do get the chance to check everything out before you purchase the ticket.

OK, so I never use play slips anymore with self-serve terminals ... they are handy for some games and quick but you are taking a chance on how much money the terminal may actually take away.

This is not good for the player, but I will have to use play slips only at a lottery terminal with a "human being" and never in a self serve terminal ... only input your numbers yourself at a self serve terminal.

Ron may well be right about all the scratch off material or flakes being inside the machine and messing with the card scanner or there may be some sort of software problem with the terminals ... but Ron may be correct in the end.

So in closing ... maybe the safe thing to do is "never" use play slips in self-serve terminals or put small amounts of money in so you won't lose $10 or $20 ... more than what you were planning to spend. The ticket will not print and you get a "heads up" that something is wrong.

If a person cashed a $100 winner and left the money in the terminal ... and then inserted a Match 6, MM or PB play slip for only one draw ... a person might be charged for 10 to 20 draws ... I think PA can go 26 drawings into the future (not 100% sure about that), so you might lose much of your $100 when you only wanted to spend $2.

CW

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
              NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              3707 Posts
              Posted: August 29, 2015, 9:20 am - IP Logged

I just want to add as I am thinking everything over ... as it happened last May and yesterday.

Everything happens so fast when you already have money in the self-serve terminal. If you are playing a card or play slip with numbers already filled out or no numbers filled out, just QPs ... that was what I did in May.

Sometimes I take a play slip and just mark 3, 4, or 5 QPs ... no numbers played at all, just the QP boxes marked. Last May I had a Cash 5 card filled out for four QPs.

Yesterday, I had a Treasure Hunt card filled out for three sets of numbers for one draw only.

I was wrong in my first post about checking the ticket first in the terminal window. This DOES NOT happen with play slips. This is where it gets messy or really bad ... a person with a large amount of money already in the machine can really get burned using play slips, if that terminal is not working properly.

Ron5995 is right ... if you always input your numbers or pick QPs on the terminal screen ... then you will always see the ticket in the terminal window before you hit Purchase. So buying tickets that way (in PA for sure) should not be a problem.

So when you already have a large amount of money in the terminal and you run a play slip ... this is where the problem is.

First you insert the play slip ... it goes in fast and comes back out fast, after being scanned. Then the ticket is printed ... you have no idea what numbers you are actually getting or how much money has been taken away ... till you look at the printed ticket. Buying tickets that way "can be" dangerous ... you have no chance to check anything ... no ticket in the terminal window, it just prints and may take more money than what you had planned to spend.

As Ron said ... if a person always inputs their numbers or QPs on the terminal screen then you do get the chance to check everything out before you purchase the ticket.

OK, so I never use play slips anymore with self-serve terminals ... they are handy for some games and quick but you are taking a chance on how much money the terminal may actually take away.

This is not good for the player, but I will have to use play slips only at a lottery terminal with a "human being" and never in a self serve terminal ... only input your numbers yourself at a self serve terminal.

Ron may well be right about all the scratch off material or flakes being inside the machine and messing with the card scanner or there may be some sort of software problem with the terminals ... but Ron may be correct in the end.

So in closing ... maybe the safe thing to do is "never" use play slips in self-serve terminals or put small amounts of money in so you won't lose $10 or $20 ... more than what you were planning to spend. The ticket will not print and you get a "heads up" that something is wrong.

If a person cashed a $100 winner and left the money in the terminal ... and then inserted a Match 6, MM or PB play slip for only one draw ... a person might be charged for 10 to 20 draws ... I think PA can go 26 drawings into the future (not 100% sure about that), so you might lose much of your $100 when you only wanted to spend $2.

CW

Sorry to read about your bad experiences with the ticket machine.  As for me, I'm not big on putting money into any kind of machine.  I wont even put cash or a check into my banks ATM.  That's probably why I take a pass when it comes to lottery ticket machines.  Call me an Old Fool if ya want, but that's the way it is.

Here's my lone experience with a Lottery Ticket machine.  Last June, my wife and I went to dinner at a restaurant on the banks of New York's Hudson River in upstate NY.  After dinner, as we were walking out, I spotted a NY Lottery ticket machine. I had wanted to play NY's 5/39 Take5 game that day, but I had forgotten to fill out a play slip at home so that I could stop at a gas station or convenience store to buy a ticket. So I thought to myself "To hell with it, I'll just buy some QP's outta that machine" and over I go.  I put in a ten dollar bill wanting to buy five lines ($5.00) of QP's, but then I saw the sign on it that said "Machine does not give change".  So I had to reluctantly buy 10 bucks of QP's.

On Saturday morning I checked my ticket and saw that I had a 3 out of 5 winner good for $21.50.   Even so,  that still hasn't green lighted me on putting money into any machine anywhere!!  G5

PS CW....  I don't have a lot to do today, and it's a BEAUTIFUL day here.  I'm toying with the idea of taking a ride up to Great Barrington Massachusetts!   I thnkin' I might just get me some Mass Cash tix!  If I do, I'll let you know.   

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
                Member #161539
                December 3, 2014
                328 Posts
                Posted: August 29, 2015, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Sorry to read about your bad experiences with the ticket machine.  As for me, I'm not big on putting money into any kind of machine.  I wont even put cash or a check into my banks ATM.  That's probably why I take a pass when it comes to lottery ticket machines.  Call me an Old Fool if ya want, but that's the way it is.

Here's my lone experience with a Lottery Ticket machine.  Last June, my wife and I went to dinner at a restaurant on the banks of New York's Hudson River in upstate NY.  After dinner, as we were walking out, I spotted a NY Lottery ticket machine. I had wanted to play NY's 5/39 Take5 game that day, but I had forgotten to fill out a play slip at home so that I could stop at a gas station or convenience store to buy a ticket. So I thought to myself "To hell with it, I'll just buy some QP's outta that machine" and over I go.  I put in a ten dollar bill wanting to buy five lines ($5.00) of QP's, but then I saw the sign on it that said "Machine does not give change".  So I had to reluctantly buy 10 bucks of QP's.

On Saturday morning I checked my ticket and saw that I had a 3 out of 5 winner good for $21.50.   Even so,  that still hasn't green lighted me on putting money into any machine anywhere!!  G5

PS CW....  I don't have a lot to do today, and it's a BEAUTIFUL day here.  I'm toying with the idea of taking a ride up to Great Barrington Massachusetts!   I thnkin' I might just get me some Mass Cash tix!  If I do, I'll let you know.   

I'm fast changing my mind about the self-service terminals ... am in agreement with you about being cautious.

I've been "burned" twice now this year and will be changing my routine with future ticket buying.

At least you won ... came out ahead on your self-serve terminal experience. My using the terminals has met with limited success ... humans or no humans !

Lucky you, going to get some Mass-Cash tickets. I suppose you read my "joke post" in the Pick 5 thread about PA getting a new evening game like the Mass-Cash game. I was hoping someone from the PA Lottery would read it and bring up the idea in a meeting or such.

I got a reply from the Lottery thanking me for taking the time to write ... and basically saying go jump off a bridge! ... but I hold out some hope that players might have an interest and let the Lottery know.

I'd be playing it every night ... I want a "bouncing ball" machine game in the evening, not a digital afternoon game ... don't trust the digital selection games.

I hope you win like Judie Devine did in one week, winning on two different nights ... $200,000 on each night for $400,000.

Will you find out for me how far in advance you can buy tickets for the game? ... 7 days or maybe longer?

I can not find that information anywhere on the MA Lottery website.

CW

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #94283
                  July 17, 2010
                  2284 Posts
                  Posted: August 29, 2015, 11:34 am - IP Logged

The vending machines in Idaho don't even allow you to put your own numbers in.  It's limited to QP, playslip, or scratch off here.

I find that strange.  I would think each state gets their vending machines from the same one or two manufacturers, and that they'd all be the same.  Maybe there are more companies making these machines than I thought.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                    NY State
                    United States
                    Member #92609
                    June 10, 2010
                    3707 Posts
                    Posted: August 30, 2015, 8:50 am - IP Logged

The vending machines in Idaho don't even allow you to put your own numbers in.  It's limited to QP, playslip, or scratch off here.

I find that strange.  I would think each state gets their vending machines from the same one or two manufacturers, and that they'd all be the same.  Maybe there are more companies making these machines than I thought.

I would think the same thing were it not for the fact that in New York, I have seen three different types of machines!  Some are big, they look like a soda vending machine, but I've also seen one that's the size of an ATM.  I guess it depends upon how much floor space is available in a store.  In the gas station near me that has one, it's the ATM sized machine.  My guess is that's because in that particular store, they just don't have the floor space required for one of the big ones.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                      Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #74096
                      May 2, 2009
                      22968 Posts
                      Posted: August 30, 2015, 9:24 am - IP Logged

Yeah, watch those things. I've seen many people frustrated after using them. Puzzled is

the second ranking look people have on their faces at those IVM's.

I only use them for instant tickets sometimes but even then patience has to be exercised.

The buttons are either too sensitive on some or slow functioning on others. One time I pressed 

a sluggish machines button for a $5 bingo card, got irritated and pressed it harder because

nothing was happening and 4 cards came out. Mad 

Best advice is to go to a person at the desk/counter for your plays. Oh and the 'we can't cancel

mistakes' notice...…nevermind that. I've not had a problem ever refusing to buy a ticket a clerk

screwed up. Don't say 'Can you cancel that'...just say 'That's not what I ordered so keep it'

and hand it back.

Sorry about your experiences with those ripoff 'robots'. They are more trouble than they're

worth.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

United States
                        Member #161539
                        December 3, 2014
                        328 Posts
                        Posted: August 30, 2015, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Yeah, watch those things. I've seen many people frustrated after using them. Puzzled is

the second ranking look people have on their faces at those IVM's.

I only use them for instant tickets sometimes but even then patience has to be exercised.

The buttons are either too sensitive on some or slow functioning on others. One time I pressed 

a sluggish machines button for a $5 bingo card, got irritated and pressed it harder because

nothing was happening and 4 cards came out. Mad 

Best advice is to go to a person at the desk/counter for your plays. Oh and the 'we can't cancel

mistakes' notice...…nevermind that. I've not had a problem ever refusing to buy a ticket a clerk

screwed up. Don't say 'Can you cancel that'...just say 'That's not what I ordered so keep it'

and hand it back.

Sorry about your experiences with those ripoff 'robots'. They are more trouble than they're

worth.

dr65 ... yes, I think I could have refused the ticket if I had bought it from the human terminal but because I bought it from the self-serve terminal, the clerk said she could do nothing.

Also, these numbers are my numbers that I play all the time when the Treasure Hunt jackpot gets to $25,000 or higher ... I don't usually play at the starting amount of $10,000. I think the store or clerk would be "stuck" with my mistake ticket so I would feel bad for the store ... and also, since they are my numbers, if they were to finally hit and someone else cashed in the ticket ... it would ruin my day completely !!!

I will have to just be more careful in the future ... I am not running any play slips or cards through those self-serve machines ever again and will try to work with smaller amounts of money from now on.

I have also noticed myself as you have, that the buttons are freaky when you input numbers ... last week I wanted #11 on a game and later when I looked at the ticket, there was no #11 ... I saw the #11 button turn yellow but I must have not pressed it hard enough, it didn't stick I guess.

It gets bad when you have a lot of impatient people behind you ... I need quiet and no pressure when I'm doing my tickets.

You were a winner that day ... getting 4 scratch cards for $5 ... curious if you won your $5 back, or more?

GLTA

CW